Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
08/23/17 at 2:21pm
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MiniQuest - 7mm HeroQuest (Read 935 times)
Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Saskatoon, Canada, canada, 179, 351, SK, Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan, Canada
MiniQuest - 7mm HeroQuest
06/05/17 at 7:51am

MiniQuest - 7mm scale HeroQuest

So this is happening...

Everything will be magnetized using 1/8" rare earth magnets and a plate of sheet metal below the board. Here's the prototype with the plastic magnet casing I made to support the paper minis

The game packs up in two parts: The game board, with extra space for cards and character sheets, and the Artifact book, which holds everything for transport and also functions as Zargon/Morcar's game screen

I'm using photo paper stand-ups. At 7mm scale (from the bottom of the Barbarian's feet to eye level) a single 8½"x11" sheet fits every HQ model, including extras from Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, Wizards of Morcar, Against the Ogre Horde, and the Barbarian and Elf Quest packs. I also had enough space to print out 4 sets of Heroes, extra Men-at-Arms, as well as an extra stone Gargoyle, 4 stone Chaos Warriors, a zombie Wizard (Wardoz), Sir Ragnar, an Orc with an extra large notched blade, and a few others.  Only missing the female Elf, which doesn't seem to have been made.

The game board prints up less than a sheet of 8½"x11" sheet of paper. Each square is 40% the size of the original 7/8" wide square, bringing it to just under 9mm per square.

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:31pm by Nicodemus »  

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Re: MiniQuest - 7mm HeroQuest
Reply #1 - 06/05/17 at 12:24pm

I can't see anything, dude...

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Reply #2 - 06/05/17 at 4:41pm

What, are you Ogre's successor now? He's probably got  all his 6 or 10 mm minis around some place. Don't remember which size it was as it was like 10-12 years ago ...

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #3 - 06/05/17 at 7:54pm

knightkrawler wrote on 06/05/17 at 12:24pm:

You're going to really hate my plans for NanoQuest then...  HeroQuest Gargoyle

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #4 - 06/06/17 at 8:51am

I think Carl will know exactly what scale Orge's plans circled around...

Nicodemus wrote on 06/05/17 at 7:54pm:

Is that the one that is played on the gameboard printed on a Hero Quest table?

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Reply #5 - 06/06/17 at 5:15pm

Table?!? Table?!? NanoQuest is played on the head of a pin, the biggest problem is dancing angels knocking into the board!

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #6 - 06/06/17 at 10:11pm

knightkrawler wrote on 06/06/17 at 8:51am:
I think Carl will know exactly what scale Orge's plans circled around...

Nicodemus wrote on 06/05/17 at 7:54pm:

Is that the one that is played on the gameboard printed on a Hero Quest table?

This is currently what we have setup in the living room Wink

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:37pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #7 - 06/07/17 at 9:51am

That's what I was talking about...
Great project, MiniQuest, by the way!

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Reply #8 - 06/07/17 at 8:16pm

Now that's a NanoQuest board if it can fit on a HeroQuest table!!!

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #9 - 06/11/17 at 10:03am

I showed the preview of the Artifact book back on June 6th, here's an example of the Artifact card back from the N.American version of HeroQuest.

I had some orange glass beads to test with, which look about right, but I'd really like to get my hands on some purple ones.

The bottom of the box has a piece of sheet metal fitted into it and will have a second platform for additional storage.

I got the airbrush out after about 3 years in storage. Made painting the detail piece on the front a treat!  Nearly there. Just need to break out the hole punch to make some plastic rivet heads for finishing off the detail on the front and it'll be good to go!

So a problem with MiniQuest I identified early on is making the figures themselves.

I feel like I've got a solution I'm happy with, gluing neodymium magnets into a piece of plastic and mounting the figure images onto the magnetized plastic disc... the big problem is cutting the plastic rod straight. Here are my Elf and Dwarf test pieces and how many rings I had to cut to get two I was OK using:

Yes, too many wasted pieces.  My solution was to make a jig so that I'd always be cutting in the same place and at the same angle. Here you can see the tube at the top with the 1/8" internal diameter for the magnets (magnets themselves are 1/8" in diameter and 1/16" high). I used another slightly larger rod with an internal diameter that just fits the tube to be cut so that it is held in place and I can just slide it into position. I added some additional bracing to hold everything in place. I use dichloromethane to weld the plastic together as I've got a wicket nasty cyanoacrylate hypersensitivity and the GW plastic glue is worthless - crumbling and breaking after a year or so.

Here is the finished jig with space for a razor blade along with my first test cuts.  I measured 1/16" from the front where the rod sticks out and attached the backing piece so that it only sticks out the length I need. Oh yes, nice and uniform!

Time to start cutting.

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:38pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #10 - 06/11/17 at 11:52pm

Awesome...
Keep these posts coming.

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #11 - 06/14/17 at 11:51pm

Progress is going slow and steady.

5-minute two-part epoxy is coming in real handy for this project at the moment. I used it to glue down the plastic "gold" trim onto the cover, as well as the purple glass beads... cover is nearly there. Just need to get the hole punch going to make the smaller accent pieces and the rivets that hold the trim on.

Here's some of the tiles so far.  It's going to get crowded.

I'm going to quickly run out of space to contain all of the parts so I decided to make a stacking shelf insert out of foamcore and a piece of sheet metal. I cut away the top cardstock layer of the foamcore to give the sheet metal something to sit in and made rabbet joints for the frame.

After using epoxy to adhere the metal plate to the foamcore I used a piece of black cardstock with a thin layer of epoxy over top of the foramcore and sheet metal and set a book and a 20 lb weight on it for 15 mins.  After it was set I trimmed away the excess cardstock.

I also made some recessed spaces in the supports for magnets, which I epoxied into position. Now the whole thing holds itself securely to the bottom of the book, which has a piece of sheet metal in it.

The only thing I didn't take a picture of is re-doing the longer pieces of the support frame, it was ~1/4" too tall for the book so I trimmed it down 1/2"

Here's the new insert holding the more common tiles that will be needed for most games, demonstrating that the sheet magnets and metal plate do their job just fine:

The insert still has a little bit of a gap so I don't have to have things perfectly arranged underneath, making pack-up quicker.

Here's the insert when sitting in place. There's loads of space under the insert and still lots of space around the sides, and I haven't made any attempts to organize the bottom layer to save space. Certainly the miniatures, doors and furniture are going to take up a lot of space, as are all the cards that still need to be printed.  A have several ideas for saving space, so we'll have to see how it goes Wink

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:37pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Carl
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #12 - 06/16/17 at 5:33am

You may want to check this out.

https://www.microworldgames.com/

I had previously tried 10mm and 15mm but decided both were not for me. I am currently working with true 25mm miniatures and I like them quite a bit. Just big enough for all the detail I would like but small enough to not need a big space for storage.

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #13 - 06/19/17 at 1:00am

Action-packed update today -

Updated MiniQuest board layout.  
I flipped the tile portion of the board by 180-degrees, as I've always wanted the "HeroQuest" logo to face away from Zargon instead of toward.  I also added a dark border to help with blending later on when I add the linen binding tape to the edges.

MiniQuest Dice Tower
With the small board size there's no space to roll dice. Now they'll have their own dedicated space on the fold-out board.  The paired magnets on the right have been marked with a Sharpie so I can keep their poles aligned as they're going to be embedded into the edges of the dice tower and the border that contains the dice when they roll out. The exit of the dice tower also has a small angled ramp to ensure the dice are "ejected" from the bottom.

I measured the inside of the Artifact book to ensure that the dice tower wouldn't be too wide or deep, ensuring there would be space for it. I also made sure the inside of the tower would be just large enough to serve as a card holder during transportation.

After putting the magnets and artwork on the outside here's now it looks relative to the board.  Not quite centred, but I needed to leave space on the left for the Treasure deck as well as a discard pile.

All decked out with Les Edwards HQ artwork:

Once I had everything fitting correctly I finished excavating the space for the dice tower and once I knew the exact space the inside would be I cut the last image to fit.

Final assembly:

Rolling some dice (and to give can idea of scale). I'll likely cover up the exposed edges of foamboard with black cardstock.

Test card back in the tower

Packing up... I haven't yet made any attempts to organize or save space. For sure there's going to be enough space for sleeved cards for the base game, not sure how many expansions it'll fit.

Here's what MiniQuest will look like ready for transport:

Finishing up the game board
I used some good quality linen book binding tape for the edges and folding parts.

I got distracted for a couple of days going through a cycle of increasingly complex and involved designs for the Hero character area, with plans for another metal plate and magnetic trackers with numbers on them for Attack, Defence, BP and MP, and an area with a backpack for each character and using some of the simplified line drawing artwork from the rule book, then realized that part of the beauty of HQ is the simplicity and that during game play we usually just remember what gear we have and now many Attack and Defend each character has anyway. Not to mention we'll still be using character sheets for serious campaigns, etc. -- so this is what I went with, nice and simple.

Four Heroes, on the stairs, with a door waiting to be opened.

Time to finish the rest of the dungeon bits. The furniture is maybe 10-20% larger than the originals at this scale. Time to start making some small books and scrolls.. and I'm about to find out how good my green stuff skills are once I get to the tomb and the fireplace. Yikes.

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:35pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #14 - 06/21/17 at 12:03am

Furniture is coming along.  The bookcases are going to suck, as there's so much detail to fill in, and I'm expecting to do the bookcase and cupboard tops in green stuff as well.

Here's the Wiz for scale.

Still have to make the weapon rack, throne and two more chests, plus a few additional bits of detailing on a couple more pieces (fireplace, tomb, etc).  Haven't figured out how I'm going to magnetize the tables as they're all open, but everything else is pretty trivial.

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:34pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #15 - 06/25/17 at 8:25pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bookshelves are taking longer than any other pieces

Finished the scales for the Alchemist's Bench, as well as the Throne, and the edge trim on the two Tables.

Finishing the brick work on the Fireplace. Once dried I'll file the edges down to get rid of the rounded bits of green stuff.

Some edge sanding needed on the top of this piece too.. but otherwise one Bookcase down!

The Weapons Rack

Overview of all of the furniture pieces so far:
Throne, 3 Treasure Chests, Cupboard, 2 Bookcases, Rack, Alchemist's Bench, Sorcerer's Table, Weapons Rack, Fireplace, Tomb, and 2 Tables

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:31pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #16 - 06/25/17 at 10:33pm

Awesome. So well thought through and wroking out just fine...
I really like this project.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Reply #17 - 06/27/17 at 11:56am

Malechi wrote on 06/06/17 at 5:15pm:
Table?!? Table?!? NanoQuest is played on the head of a pin, the biggest problem is dancing angels knocking into the board!

THAT was epic, dude. Truly, truly epic.

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #18 - 06/29/17 at 12:13am

A wee bit more...

~N
« Last Edit: 07/02/17 at 9:29pm by Nicodemus »  

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Reply #19 - 06/29/17 at 6:39am

On the board it doesn't give the scale. Seeing the parts on your hand made it quite impressive!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print