Lookie What I Got!!! (Read 2454 times)
Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Lookie What I Got!!!
05/01/17 at 8:29am

I had a bit of synergy lately. My wife got a promotion and I found a guy who made replicated HeroQuest miniatures. Now, after 20 years of trying to put this together, I feel like I have a functional Elf Solo Quest pack and Barbarian Quest pack.

Cobbling this stuff together from scratch is challenging. The cards are easy. Yeah, my stuff is aftermarket and it looks completely unprofessional (most of the cards are on index cards), but it works. So, thatís easy. The board additions, thatís a little more challenging. It requires professional printing, but all that requires really is just the will to get it right. That's not super expensive.

The main challenge is the miniatures. SOME of the miniatures were easily replaced. For example, the Elf pack comes with extra elves (an archer, a warrior and an arch-mage) and a wolf, all of which are easily replaced, The Barbarian pack also comes with 4 mercenaries, which are easily replaced. What are NOT easily replaced is the other pieces. The Warbear, the Frozen Horror, the Ogre, the Ice Gremlins and the Yeti.

I have long looked for pieces that I could substitute, but nothing really spoke to me. I always felt a little cheated by any piece I tried to use in their place.

Now, Iíve tried purchasing the stuff online before, and Iím sure Iím preaching to the choir on this one, but you guys know that this stuff is PRIMO expensive onlineÖ and when Iíve found it I have either not had the money to spend on it, or it was so expensive that I could not justify the cost.

Well, recently I found a guy online who was selling replicated HQ pieces at a reasonable price, and I was able to just order the pieces I felt were missing. The guy even sent me an extra head and wings for my broken gargoyle for free as a bonus for buying so many figurines from him! I am super psyched and had to share my good fortune!! Check out the pics!!

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Re: Lookie What I Got!!!
Reply #1 - 05/01/17 at 12:35pm

Now all you have to do is paint them green, gray and light blue!
Wink

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #2 - 05/02/17 at 6:47pm

That's great, man. Congrats!

Printing tiles ain't so bad. I've been doing it with a color inkjet printer on generic photo paper, and I get some pretty great results. Nice bright colors, great resolution. I spray-glue the photo paper onto comic book backing boards, and I end up with some pretty sturdy stuff.

Some examples from my latest stuffs:

So yeah, you don't really need professional printing. An inkjet with the right kind of paper will get you some really great results.

Now, if you've got scans from the actual board pieces, running a quick Descreen filter on them in Photoshop will make them look better than printing them straight off.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #3 - 05/03/17 at 2:16pm

Descreen huh? I don't have Photoshop, but I do have the Gnu Image Manipulation Program. (And, by the way, I wrote out the entire name of the program rather than use it's abbreviation because there are WAY too many sickos on this board.)  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #4 - 05/03/17 at 9:13pm

Hah.

It should have a filter for that.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

benvoliothefirst
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Sacramento, California, USA
Reply #5 - 05/11/17 at 2:44pm

That's a really great haul, congrats! And to your wife on her promotion too!

Can't wait to see 'em painted up.

I just finally got around to printing off the Barbarian/Elf Quest Books from Ye Olde Inn... I'll most likely look for some more modern equivalents, but I can certainly respect collecting with an eye for authenticity.

My Vampire Counts Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
IP Logged

blunder1983
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #6 - 05/25/17 at 5:48am

Can you message me the details of the person doing the casting? I'd love to finally complete my collection!

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #7 - 05/25/17 at 9:49am

Check your inbox!

IP Logged

fallensaviour
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!
DRILL BLING

winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reply #8 - 06/02/17 at 7:21pm

blunder1983 wrote on 05/25/17 at 5:48am:
Can you message me the details of the person doing the casting? I'd love to finally complete my collection!

Same here, I Only need a few wolves and necromancer and wizard from wizards of morcar.
Congrats on completing your set.now get painting!!!
I've been painting mine since 1991.... lol

IP Logged

wataduu
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #9 - 06/29/17 at 10:41am

thanks for giving me the info. I asked the creator of the recasts to make me some and from the pictures he showed me its pretty good!

IP Logged

SSDecontrol
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Brooklyn HQ Players Hit
Me Up!

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reply #10 - 06/30/17 at 8:55am

Could you please PM the details as well?  I've been looking for the Frozen Horror minis forever! HeroQuest Orc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print