Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/20/19 at 8:10pm
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wizard Fixing Idea - Cantrips (Read 5708 times)
Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Wizard Fixing Idea - Cantrips
11/18/14 at 3:26am

OK, so, my idea for "fixing" the playability of the wizard.

Two parts, a basic special, and a new spell deck.

Bonus Wizard Abilities

The wizard may make the following unarmed magic attacks:
  • Cost of one Mind Point, ranged attack rolling one combat die, and causing damage on white shields.

Once a champion, the wizard may make the following unarmed magic attacks:
  • Ranged attack rolling one combat die, and causing damage on white shields.
  • Cost of one Mind Point, Ranged attack rolling one combat die.
  • Cost of one Mind Point, Melee attack rolling two combat die, and causing damage on white shields.

New Spell Deck: Cantrips
Cantrips are a new deck of eight Spell Cards that can only be used by the Wizard. When the Wizard selects them, the player picks a number of cards equal to the number of Spell Groups they normally pick.
Unlike normal Spells, Cantrips are not discarded when cast, although they are less powerful.

Burning Hand
By this Cantrip, the Wizard pours flame into the enemy.
Cast Action, Spend one Mind Point: Make a Melee Attack using one Combat Die. Count enemy shields as skulls.
Cast Action, Spend two Mind Points: Make a Melee Attack using three Combat Dice.

Word of Fury
By this Cantrip, the Wizard whips debris into the foe.
Cast Action, Spend one Mind Point: Make a Ranged Attack using one Combat Die. Count enemy shields as skulls.
Cast Action, Spend two Mind Points: Make a Ranged Attack using three Combat Dice.

Skin of Stone
By this Cantrip, the Wizard hardens skin against harm.
Spend one Mind Point: Until the start of your next turn, roll an extra combat die in defence, and you may count a single enemy shield as a friendly shield.
Cast Action, Spend one Mind Point: Until the start of your next turn, one figure in your line of sight rolls an extra combat die in defence, and may count a single enemy shield as a friendly shield.

Esence of Life
By this Cantrip, the Wizard restores vitality to the injured.
Cast Action, Spend one Mind Point: You recover up to two lost Body Points.
Cast Action, Spend two Mind Points: One figure in your Line of Sight recovers up to two lost Body Points.

Gaze of Dispair
By this Cantrip, the Wizard saps the spirit of the enemy.
Spend one Mind Point: Use this ability only when you have made a successful Attack action. This Attack causes the target to lose Mind instead of Body Points. no effect on the Undead.
Spend two Mind Points: Use this ability only when you have made a successful Attack action. You may recover a number of lost Body Points up to the damage caused by this Attack.

Mystic Sight
By this Cantrip, the Wizard locates that which is hidden.
Spend one Mind Point: You may make an extra Search for Treasure this turn.
Spend two Mind Points: You may make an extra Search for Secret Doors this turn.
Spend two Mind Points: You may make an extra Search for Traps this turn.

Glittering Shield
By this Cantrip, the Wizard enhances armour.
Spend one Mind Point: Re-Roll one Combat Die rolled in Defence.
Spend two Mind Point: Re-Roll any number of Combat Dice rolled in Defence.

Force of Will
By this Cantrip, the Wizard restores the will.
Cast Action: You recover up to one lost Mind Point.
Cast Action, Spend one Mind Point: One figure in your Line of Sight recovers up to one lost Mind Point.

IP Logged

sorcerersapprentice
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Something Wicked This
Way Comes

Re: Wizard Fixing Idea - Cantrips
Reply #1 - 09/02/15 at 9:21pm

I really like the Wizard. Is the Wizard broken?

1. One check I added to my games was an extra currency so that some sorcery could not be easily cast without certain types of ingredients. These could be bought as powders or coloured gems in-between quests. By having some spells require ingredients, GM's can reign in the use of spells to some degree as well as balance out the stores of accumulated gold over time - wherein prices may change, fluctuate or even drop from level to level depending on the town or merchant encountered.

2. Another was 'Spellbooking' which was explaining that the fabric of the Heroquest World in my games required a magic users powers to slowly restore, wherein the same spells could not be used immediately afterwards in the next quest and some even had a half-life of two quests, meaning some of the more powerful spells were only available infrequently to the magic user.

3. Spell forcing is a concept that offers more powerful spells at the risk of a temporary weakened state. It works by having some normal spells able to be 'forced' which means the magician pours more of their own energy and stamina into the spell to krank it up. Essentially 1 bodypoint and 1 mindpoint are taken from the caster for 3 turns in exchange for additional energy spent to increase strength of spell effect. I.e. teleportation lets the caster teleport, but by forcing it s/he can move 1 even 2 other heroes with them. This creates an exciting trade-off where the magic user places themselves at greater long-term risk for greater short-term gain.

4. Overloading, or 'Warpcracking' is a counter measure to balance the casting of too many powerful spells. I.e. if too many spells are cast per quest (and the GM can elect which ones these might be), the wizard risks making a crack in the fabric of the world and warping a very powerful random demon attracted to the scent of the excess magic to attack.

5. The way I design some of my quests is to tailor some dungeon areas to be accessible only via the casting of certain spells. i.e. a treasure trove can be found through levitation up a shaft but is otherwise inaccessible, or the draining of water or extinguishing of fire to bypass a hallway to a secret room may be a shortcut as well as some extra loot. Using a strategic design you can 'tease out' certain spells from the magic users that makes them valuable additions to any party on numerous fronts.

gametilewarehouse.com
IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Reply #2 - 09/02/15 at 10:03pm

I don't get it Sorapp. Why are you creating rules to hamstring the weakest kid on the block? The wizard basically has his a two foot chain strapped between his left ankle and his nutsack and your rules are removing more of the links! Were you the class bully, picking on the whimpy kids, only fighting them after you had tied their shoelaces together?!?

IP Logged

sorcerersapprentice
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Something Wicked This
Way Comes

Reply #3 - 09/03/15 at 10:21am

Oh, well you see I use over 120 spells in my quests and the Magic User is a serious bad-ass in my HQ. It may not be your experience if you didn't modify him but in my world, s/he needs chains.

gametilewarehouse.com
IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Reply #4 - 09/03/15 at 3:26pm

sorcerersapprentice wrote on 09/03/15 at 10:21am:
Oh, well you see I use over 120 spells in my quests and the Magic User is a serious bad-ass in my HQ. It may not be your experience if you didn't modify him but in my world, s/he needs chains.

I actually agree with you. If you go "book", then the wizard is a weakling, but it takes precious very little house ruling to make the wizard a bad ass.  I have a leveling system in my games, and the wizard in my rule set tends to operate like the wizards in 2nd Ed D&D, which is to say that at lower levels they are cannon fodder and dead weight, but by the time you get them to 14th or 15th level, they are approaching godhood.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print