Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
08/17/18 at 9:35am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heroquest Dice available on Shapeways (updated with photo) (Read 12762 times)
fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Heroquest Dice available on Shapeways (updated with photo)
09/03/14 at 7:40am

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'm also new to Heroquest, although I've tried some similar (more recent) games like Mice and Mystics, and now I'm trying to put together a HQ set so that I can teach my young (8yo) nephew in the ways of board and roleplaying games.

In order to DIY whatever I can, I've searched around the net for scans and photos, and was able to find files for mostly everything, including stand ups for heroes and monsters, but I'd really like those made for the Brazilian version. Does anybody have a good, hi-res (600dpi+ if possible) scan?
If that proves impossible, I'm considering printing photos of miniatures, but it's been hard to find good images for both front and back sides.
There are some that a guy did that's on BGG (I'm sure you know which ones I'm talking about), but they look too cartoony for my taste.

Also, I'm in talks with Dice.co.uk to see if they can engrave combat dice for me using some vector graphics I found -- and tried to improve. Apparently they can only *print* those images, but I'm trying to see what can be done as I want something that would last.

For now, these are the images I have for the dice. I can host them somewhere if anybody's interested.
I've mostly altered the white shield, though not going the full heraldic look (which would look awkward).
What do you guys think? Hopefully I won't offend purists:

*snip*

Update (Aug 7th, 2015):
I set up a shop on Shapeways so you guys would be able to order the die it from there.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6VSRWEYGF/heroquest-die

27/11/2017
Someone started selling dice on Ebay using the images I cleaned up. I guess they got it through Google images.
While I hold no copyright on them (obviously), it's not cool getting those without even asking, so I've taken them down. :/
But hey, if you need them for your personal project, hit me with a PM or email me via [myusername]@live.com
« Last Edit: 12/08/17 at 7:54am by fskn »  

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Re: Trying to DIY one HQ set; need Brazilian version stand ups.
Reply #1 - 09/03/14 at 10:24am

If you've not already registered at yeoldeinn.com, I recommend doing so. Then shoot washi a PM. He's Brazilian, so maybe he can scan those paper minis for you if he hasn't already shared them. I can't remember for the life of me.

IP Logged

fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #2 - 09/03/14 at 10:52am

knightkrawler wrote on 09/03/14 at 10:24am:
If you've not already registered at yeoldeinn.com, I recommend doing so. Then shoot washi a PM. He's Brazilian, so maybe he can scan those paper minis for you if he hasn't already shared them. I can't remember for the life of me.

Thanks, knightkrawler, I'll do that!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - 09/04/14 at 12:47pm

You know there's already a german site that sells excellent reproduction HQ dice, along with variant dice?

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #4 - 09/04/14 at 8:50pm

Went ahead and took a crack at the Brazilian standees, finally.

http://imagehosting.smackwell.com/hq/HQB/

If you can find better scans though, I'd recommend that, since these had to be touched up due to bends in the standees.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #5 - 09/06/14 at 4:49am

Slev wrote on 09/04/14 at 12:47pm:
You know there's already a german site that sells excellent reproduction HQ dice, along with variant dice?

I do... Yes. But they're printed, right?
Though they're cheaper than if dice.co.uk printed mine (they asked £.66 per side!)... Yet I've become a little attached to these I've cleaned/modded...

Eh, I don't know what to do yet. Dice.co.uk said they can't etch them (which is what I want); something about both white and black shields having too much "open area", which would make the paint come out (?!) during their clean up or whatever process.

Right now I'm considering DIYing them too somehow... Maybe using the laser printer technique, or something like that.
But there's got to be a way to do the etching without spending an arm and a leg.

EDIT: You know what? I could try Shapeways for a few dice.

IP Logged

fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #6 - 09/06/14 at 9:22am

OK, so I managed to make it (with great effort, and breathing fire every time 123D Design crashed on me)...

I'll try to send it to Shapeways and see what happens then. Tongue

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - 09/07/14 at 1:03am

The German dice are printed are printed, but they're very good. Out of paranoia, I varnished them with the same stuff I use on my minis!

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Reply #8 - 09/07/14 at 1:25am

Slev wrote on 09/07/14 at 1:03am:
Out of paranoia, I varnished them!

In our hobby, that's not paranoia. It's called "care". Just don't tell anyone outside the hobby! if you do, you'll get The Look and the "Aaah."

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Reply #9 - 03/21/15 at 8:04am

fskn: How did your dice turn out? I want pictures!!

IP Logged

fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #10 - 08/06/15 at 1:20pm

Hey everyone, sorry (or not so much†ShitColoredGrin) about the bump, but I just set up a shop on Shapeways in case any of you would like to order a print:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/6VSRWEYGF/heroquest-die

Again, I just did it, so I haven't tried printing it yet. But I'm pretty sure it would work just fine.
They have a new (for me, anyway) material called "frosted EXTREME detail" which I think it would look the best, but it's a bit pricy. Still, it's the one I'll choose.
There are other options for materials on there too.

IP Logged

fskn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Re: Heroquest Dice available on Shapeways (updated with photo)
Reply #11 - 12/08/17 at 6:59am

Heroquestelf wrote on 03/21/15 at 8:04am:
fskn: How did your dice turn out? I want pictures!!

So it took me only about three years (not too long in the grand scheme of things, right?), but I finally got them printed:

Prints were done using Shapeways' Frosted Extreme Detail material, and they came out really great!
They even have a good weight to them.
The above are the 16mm dice, I've put up 13mm models as well for whoever may want those.

Now it may not be the most cost-effective way to get Heroquest dice (each will cost you $8.67 plus shipping), BUT! I assure you they're really high quality.
I intend to make resin copies of them, so next I'll have to figure out which resins to use, paints and all that.
« Last Edit: 12/08/17 at 10:06am by fskn »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print