Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After the demo (Read 3164 times)
mdewit
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

After the demo
08/24/14 at 11:42pm

So, we played the demo and my friends liked the game.
But we do have some feedback.

We liked the exploration part of the mines, but maybe some more interaction could be provided. For example, crossing a river on a rope bridge, making checks along the way.
The rest of the dungeon was great for them.
They do have a problem with the combat system being to 'light' and missing some things to make it more tactical, like
1) front and back arcs and having bonusses to attack people in the back, 2) having a bonus/ penalty for have more or less enemies next to the characters,
3)Having attacks of opportunity.

At this point I haven't come up with any actual rules to simulate this, so what does the community think of this?

Overall, we had a blast, but we would like to see some advanced rules for combat.

They didn't like Billi, by the way, they thought she would betray the village and held a close eye on her, so I decided to exploit this and on several turns in the mines, she would insist on going one way, knowing they would go another, ha.... Life of a dungeon lord is satisfying as such moments.....

Greetings,
Matthias

IP Logged

mdewit
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Re: After the demo
Reply #1 - 08/25/14 at 11:07pm

I forgot this question:
If you are searching a room and there is a chest, table,.... In it, will you find the content of the furniture?
Because if you do, I don't see the point of searching furniture with potential traps.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #2 - 08/28/14 at 4:33pm

Glad you guys liked it!

I wanted to keep the sample RolePlay Adventure kinda light, since the Heroes wouldn't have too much equipment to help them along the way, but some simple skill checks do make sense. I'll make a note to add some.

Combat was always designed to be as simple as possible, without having to count too many variables, so the system probably won't change (maybe as an optional rule later on?) but feel free to houserule any of this stuff up. A flanking system could be fun, where if two Heroes are on either side of a Monster, they get an extra Attack Die. Maybe being attacked from the back only lets you use your Armor bonus for your Defend Dice, no Zip included (you'll have to come up with how much Armor makes up the Defend Dice of each Monster though, since they only have a Zip rating). Same with attacks of opportunity; if you come up with a good system and your group likes it, why not? Post it up when you make some rules!

Regarding Treasure, if there's a special Treasure in a room, the first Hero who searches, will automatically find that Treasure, regardless of which furniture piece he selects to search. This is to make sure that the Heroes will always find important hidden Treasures. And unless it's marked in the Adventure Book that it's trapped, then it won't be trapped.

In a future version of the Adventure Book, I'm going to have Loot counters that you place where there's any special Treasure, so a Hero can just choose to pick that up instead of blindly finding it.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

mdewit
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #3 - 08/30/14 at 6:55am

Great to hear about the skills!

I undestood this choice for keeping it simple. And that is why I like it as a DM, I can enjoy the story and the combat more, without a lot of different factors and rules. But I think it will help the game if you would add these kinda rules to the advanced rules. As I read somewhere, this game should be the last stop in search of a dungeon crawler, an interesting battlesystem is a must in my opinion.

I was thinking of attacking in the back will hit on 3+ or adding an automatic succes to the role.
For 2 (or more) against 1, I think the added die is a good idea. Not overpowered but giving something extra for using their heads!

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #4 - 09/01/14 at 2:48pm

Ah, I like the idea of hitting on a 3+ instead of just armor rating. Gives the effect that the defender knows the attacker is there, but can't give him all his attention.

I'll give it some thought. The only problem I have with adding any more to the book right now is that if this advanced combat stuff increases the page count, it screws up the table of contents, and then I have to scour through every single reference in the game to make sure it's all still good (the "see page xx" stuff). It's a huuuuge pain in the ass, but I'll try to make it work, if I can.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print