Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/22/19 at 3:07am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Legend of the Sacred Sword Concept Art (Read 6424 times)
Lotus
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

You're all dumb

Legend of the Sacred Sword Concept Art
05/21/13 at 2:41pm

So with Chibi Crawl basically being done and just waiting on the company.  I am free to start my own project.  I am calling it Legend of the Sacred Sword, it is a RPG-Boardgame set up like an old school JRPG (Zelda, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy).  I'll not go too far into it as it's really early in development.  But I got my first couple pieces of concept art back, thought I'd share, get opinions, etc.  I should note it is Chibi style for those who hate that, or love it.

The first is one of the characters, a Maldrazi Rogue, they are a Dark type Humanoid that is lightly based on the Vampire myth.  Of course not as evil and stuff, but they don't sparkle either.  

This is the Wobble Pod, the first and weakest enemy in the game, it has a simple attack and can bury itself to recover health, but it isn't really a big deal.  It's upgraded form, the Lulip Pod is a bit more dangerous, but even they aren't too much to worry about.  

Thoughts on the designs are appreciated, I really want this to be a solid little game.

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Re: Legend of the Sacred Sword Concept Art
Reply #1 - 05/21/13 at 7:56pm

I would skip the onions.

I think that sort of stuff works in videogames because you can easily have hundreds of creature types, if you are limited to just a few sculpts of miniatures, I would make all of them count.

That being said I am definitely not your target market.

IP Logged

Sjeng
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Chaotic Good Orcish Bard

in a dungeon, Netherlands
Reply #2 - 05/22/13 at 3:43am

Maybe this is why people cry when they cut an onion. Look at how cute it is! Shocked

Nice sketches! Say, you wouldn't be willing to draw an anime version of the HeroQuest boc art, would you? We need one for the cover of the Japanese HQ booklet Cheesy Could be any HQ related theme, as long as it has our 4 heroes in it, I think that would be an awesome cover.

... ...
IP Logged

Lotus

You're all dumb

Reply #3 - 05/22/13 at 4:24am

I am not doing this art.  It is by Lorraine the same woman who did the art for Impact.

IP Logged

Lotus

You're all dumb

Reply #4 - 06/01/13 at 3:57pm

So, I got the color versions in.  Also have a prototype card developed.  

You can check everything out on the FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/LegendOfTheSacredSword

IP Logged

Lotus

You're all dumb

Reply #5 - 06/16/13 at 12:14pm

http://thefacelessking.blogspot.com/2013/06/legend-of-sacred-sword-test-game.htm...

Test Game with some mechanics, you may not like the theme, but you can comment on mechanics.  

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #6 - 06/19/13 at 9:31pm

I like the two-sided status-effect token.  I haven't read the SDE rules for a while.  Does it also have status effects last 2 turns?

My first impression of the Chibibee is smaller antenae would make it cuter.

The Wobble Pod card prototype:
I would make the pic a bit smaller to make room for various colored squares with icons.  Words like "move" are a bit dry for a cute game look.  Were you planning this already?

IP Logged

Lotus

You're all dumb

Reply #7 - 06/20/13 at 4:46am

Daedalus, did you post that same comment on the FB page?  I got the exact same comment on there.  I ask because getting that exact feedback twice is interesting.  Personal preference will vary though on exacting details.  While it is technically a piece of final art, I could adjust it, though I personally like it as it is.  
Also, SDE status effects last until removed, it is pretty terrible way of doing things IMHO, status effects are overwhelming and hard to track.  It is possible and likely for heroes to cause multiple status effects with every hit, it's a bitch to remember.
For the card, I am actually not a fan of icons and colors representing stats.  I find they are hard for new players to adjust to and don't really add anything to the card.  While I want the cards to look nice, playability from them is more important than the small amount of shiny factor I'd gain from that.  I'd be curious about others opinions as well.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #8 - 06/25/13 at 12:21pm

Yeah, that was just me posting in both places.  I posted here after considering you know me more from this forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print