Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dungeon Crawl Info (Read 2577 times)
Felkmaster
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Don't make me flex!

Dungeon Crawl Info
04/22/13 at 3:13pm

I'm considering buying dungeon crawl but have questions.

How many pages are the rules? Can you give an example of a spell? Is combat more involved/complicated than hero quest? Is it difficult & costly to print & assemble this game? Do you include instructions to make the game components the same quality as store bought games?  I don't think I have what is needed to put a game together. Is it possible to buy a game that is already printed that includes everything needed?

IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

The Internet!, Oregon, USA
Re: Dungeon Crawl Info
Reply #1 - 04/22/13 at 6:14pm

The full-color book is 173 pages.

Here's a spell:

Quote:
Flare, Level 1 - [Augmentable]
The Sorceror shoots fire out of his hands like a crazy madman that shoots fire out of his feet! The Sorceror picks any target in his Line of Sight. The Damage for Flare increases as the Sorceror gains Levels. At Level 1, it causes 3 Damage Dice. At Level 4 it causes 4. At Level 10 it causes 8. At Level 14 it causes 10. At Level 18 it causes 12.

Combat is very much like HeroQuest.  A little more complex, but not significantly.  Have a look at the DungeonCrawl demo if you're wondering.

There are easy-print versions that print well on laser printers to reduce costs.  Inkjet printing costs more, as does professional printing.  I find my local print shops easily beat the cost of printing at The Chain Formerly Known As Kinko's, but it's still going to cost a fair bit for professional printing of everything.  You can print some bits on laser, keep some bits electronic only on an e-reader or laptop, and professionally print some bits like the tiles that you want to be higher quality.  There's a section in the book called "Before you print anything" to tell you what to print based on your needs and budget.

Store-bought games vary so widely in build quality and content that it's hard to answer your question objectively.  If you spend some time on THIS forum and look over the demo, you'll have a pretty good idea of the author's sense of humor.  Which is to say, he's pretty damned warped.  Cheesy

Obviously it's a print-and-play.  It comes with tokens and whatnot you can print and cut, but it's generally assumed that you'll have and use proper "heroic scale" miniatures.  The demo is pretty typical of the map tile artwork—but there are a LOT of tiles.  Like 20 or so, plus almost as many again that are optional.  Available as grayscale easy-print or full-color.

I'm not sure most publishers would go anywhere near Dungeon Crawl.  No sense of humor.  Smiley  The Game Crafter might, and you could actually get a few actual minis for the game that way, but they're not really set up to print a rule book.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #2 - 04/24/13 at 11:04am

Thanks iKarith!

Felkmaster wrote on 04/22/13 at 3:13pm:
I'm considering buying dungeon crawl but have questions.

How many pages are the rules? Can you give an example of a spell? Is combat more involved/complicated than hero quest? Is it difficult & costly to print & assemble this game? Do you include instructions to make the game components the same quality as store bought games?  I don't think I have what is needed to put a game together. Is it possible to buy a game that is already printed that includes everything needed?  

Altogether, the rulebook is some 177 pages, but a lot of it is reference, like Spells and Skills and Artifacts, and item descriptions.  The actual meat and potatoes of the rules is only about 30 pages long, so you get the basics pretty quickly.  There's also a few helpful "cheat sheets" you can print out for quick reference during gameplay, if you've forgotten how to do this or that.

Combat works generally the same as HeroQuest, but you just have more options for what to do, especially later on in the game when the Heroes have lots of Skills.  Normally though it's "Roll attack, roll defense, apply damage."

If you're looking for cost-effective ways to print the game, I recommend the Easy Print version of the book, which is less pages and is all in black and white, so it uses less ink.  It's still a hefty 150 pages or so, but much less ink used.  It gets rid of all the fluff artwork and lore boxes and stuff.

For my own personal set I had the Fedex/Kinkos laser-print the game components.  It was about 30 bucks, but everything came out really nice looking.  Totally worth it.  If you don't really care about how the game looks, you can just print out black and white or grayscale, which should reduce your printing cost, or do what we did before the graphics were all done - Get some graph paper and draw it all out yourself!

One other thing we did is we got a Chessex Battlemat.  With this you can just draw everything on - dungeon tiles, furniture, blood splats wherever you kill a Monster, your Health and Adrenaline, etc.  It's fun and reusable, and pretty cheap.

I just poked around and also found this which looks like the same thing but half the price.

One huge benefit about using the battlemats is that you won't need to cut and mount a ton of tiles, which can be very time consuming.  Sure it doesn't look as pretty, but you can get going with it right away and cleanup is a lot quicker as well.

There's not much in the way of instruction for making higher quality game components, but there's not much complexity in it, either.  Most tiles just lay flat on the board, so really all you have to do is reinforce the tiles with some heavy card.  If you have any specific questions about this, though, just ask around here.  Anyone with any knowledge on it will be happy to help.

Unforutnately there's no pre-assembled game component package that could be mailed out.  This is something I want to do, but it's not in my budget right now.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Felkmaster
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Don't make me flex!

Reply #3 - 04/26/13 at 9:48am

Is the following correct? When a hero that has only 1 health triggers a poison needle trap they roll 1 die. On a succes they die & fail they live?

When down to 0 health the rules state you can use 3 adrenaline points but it doesn't say how much health it restores.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #4 - 04/26/13 at 10:44am

Correct on how the Poison Needle trap works.  Reduces a Hero to 1 Health, regardless of how many they had before.  If they were already at 1 Health, you roll a die.  Success inflicts 1 point of Damage to the Hero, and failure means no damage is dealt.

Any time a Hero is reduced to 0 Health, he can use a Life Potion to immediately restore 3 Health, or he can use any other Health potion (Healing Potion (d6), Healing Potion (5), and Jug of Healing), or as stated, he can use 3 Adrenaline to restore 1 Health point.

The chart on page 18 in the rules has this info (page EP 17 in the Easy Print version).  Is it not showing the last line in your PDF?

It normally should be pretty hard for a Hero to die since potions are pretty cheap, and Adrenaline should be a last resort, really.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

The Internet!, Oregon, USA
Reply #5 - 04/26/13 at 4:26pm

Biff wrote on 04/24/13 at 11:04am:
I just poked around and also found this which looks like the same thing but half the price.

The Paizo mat you link there is literally just card paper that's laminated into a folding mat.  The Chessex mats CAN stain.  The Paizo mat WILL stain, and pretty quickly.  Think DM screen type products.

IP Logged

Felkmaster
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Don't make me flex!

Reply #6 - 04/28/13 at 3:34pm

I didn't get to that page yet. I was reading page 13. Maybe I should make notes of the issues I see & wait to see if they are answered later in rules. You might want to make a note on page 13 when adrenaline is brought up that it is explained on page 18. I noticed you did things like that earlier in the rules.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #7 - 04/30/13 at 10:53am

Felkmaster wrote on 04/28/13 at 3:34pm:
I didn't get to that page yet. I was reading page 13. Maybe I should make notes of the issues I see & wait to see if they are answered later in rules. You might want to make a note on page 13 when adrenaline is brought up that it is explained on page 18. I noticed you did things like that earlier in the rules.

Yeah, that is the intent, to reference a page when necessary.  I'll be making this change, thanks!

But, feel free to ask anyway.  The rulebook can't be perfect, so all questions are welcome.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print