Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 9:59am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Depth's Army (heroquest inspired) iOS & Android (Read 24244 times)
EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Depth's Army (heroquest inspired) iOS & Android
03/04/13 at 3:04pm

Hi,

My name is Alex and I'm a developer working on a "clone" to be released on both iOS and Android devices (maybe later I will consider pc/mac too)

I want to share with you some images of the current state, I expect to replace the graphics at some point later, as soon as the programming side will be finished.

You can take a look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nm_snl59ik

Just like the board game, the content of the rooms will be revealed only when you open a door, also camera can be rotated with zoom and pinch gestures

Now my questions, I expect to sell the game for 0.99$ and pretty much like the board game it will come with a quest pack, later you can pay to download more quest packs or stick with the included one.
Also there is an external quest editor, you can create your own quests and sync then with your iphone via itunes and/or send them to a friend via email (or whatever). Obviously within the game you can play your own new synced quests or play the "official" ones.
I'm also thinking about creating contests to let the community share and vote the "quest of the month" which will be included in an update as part of an official quest pack.
So far the response I've received is really poor, no one seems to be interested in playing hours with their ipad (a quest can take 1-3 hours to be completed), and no publisher was interested in a game so "special", so I don't know if I should quit or keep developing the game hoping the community will support the game (and buy it).

What do you think guys?

Have fun Smiley

Update: a pic with the new aspect
« Last Edit: 09/11/13 at 8:26am by EskemaGames »  

IP Logged

G-bob
FLYING JUMP KICK!

Re: War&Warriors (heroquest inspired) iOS & Android
Reply #1 - 03/04/13 at 5:11pm

Is multiplayer planned? What about a story? How much depth is there to the story? I like the turn based game play, but what would really draw me in is something more dynamic. What if you had 10 character types to choose from and the strategy would be affected simply by the choice of party.  

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #2 - 03/05/13 at 12:26am

No multiplayer for the initial release, no story at all, I mean just like heroquest, a "simple" text describing why you should complete the quest and that's all, I'm relying on exploration, loot and combat.

Right now there are only 5 classes, adding other classes won't be a big deal, and I think that the strategy will be affected a bit, well, using a mage and other weak people will make you think twice before open a door, while with tank characters you can go with a more kick ass approach.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #3 - 03/05/13 at 1:38pm

Looks pretty cool.  Would be awesome if loot was generated in the style of the Diablo games.

One suggestion I have is to make the game free to download, and monetize on things like the scenario creator and visual customization of your heroes.  The $.99 pay wall is something not a lot of people are willing to cross, these days.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #4 - 03/05/13 at 2:24pm

What happened with diablo in terms of loot?, here in my game the loot will be random each time you play. Let's say that of course there is 1 quest object which is the main goal of the quest, the rest of loot will be randomly placed. So, the position of the chests for example won't change, but the content will and this affects to the quest object too.

My only possible income with the game if I finally put it for free will be the quest packs, the level editor will come for free and it's an independent app that runs on pc/mac

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #5 - 03/05/13 at 7:45pm

The loot in Diablo was randomly generated with various stats.  For instance you might find a sword.  Or you find a sword that lets you attack faster.  Or you find a sword that does more damage.  Or one that gives you defense.  Or also adds some elemental damage.  The rarer the item was, the more of these effects it would stack on.

People get addicted to trying to find a better weapon, some better armor, and it kept them coming back day in and day out.

What benefit do you get from the quest packs?  Seems to me that if you have a level editor, people will just make their own levels and not have to buy quest packs (especially since it's going to be very story-light).  Unless each quest pack you buy raises your level cap and also brings about new bosses and new, never-before-seen loot, I don't see much incentive to buy.  The quest packs need to offer something unique in order for people to want to buy it.

Sorry if it seems like I'm coming off as arrogant or saying you're designing badly - I'm not trying to do that, just trying to help.  I work for an iPhone/Android developer of Freemium games, and am just reflecting on what I've learned from working there.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #6 - 03/06/13 at 12:01am

No problem Biff, I've came here to gather opinions from people to decide if I should continue working on this or just cancel the project and do something else Smiley so far the overall response was really poor and I will probably cancel the project.

About the story, well, if we get the booklet included in the heroquest box there's not much of a story, every mission comes with a tiny text like "go and find the lost sword of bla bla bla" and not much more than that. The main plot?, you are a group of mercenaries travelling around the world looking for quests to gain loot and popularity.

Right now the loot is random, so yeah you might find weapons, armor or coins, so having also the level editor for free, why people should support me and buy some quest packs?
Well, just as you said, quest packs will introduce new items and new monsters, while with the "custom" quests created within the editor you are limited to the existing content, so for example you will NEVER find a +3 sword, because that sword will be part of a quest pack which you don't have.

-play for free?, go ahead you are limited to the starting equipment and you will NEVER find any better equipment than the one you already have. You will find junk everywhere (weapons and armor with the same stats you already have)
-buy quest packs?, new equipment and monsters, new decorations,etc

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #7 - 03/06/13 at 7:21pm

Hmm...

I think never being able to find anything good for free would not be the best idea.  You should always find better stuff from harder or higher level dungeons.  I would suggest that when a player buys a certain quest pack, they unlock the ability to find items of a separate rarity category - Artifacts, for example.  Anyone should be able to find any mundane weapons, but say you buy quest pack A, you gain the ability to find, in any dungeon, an Artifact with unique properties that no other weapon in the game has.  Of course, you should also grant an Artifact or something at the end of the quest pack as a reward.

I think what each quest pack would have to include in order to sell well would be:
  • The chance to find some artifacts.  Maybe 5 to 10 different ones.  Each one does something that no other weapon can, like cause fear in enemies, heal you while doing damage, etc.
  • New, unique bosses.  One or two bosses that, once defeated, the player can use in their own custom quests.
  • As you say, new decorations and furniture and stuff.
  • Optional new monster types.  Zero to two new monsters for players to also be able to use in their own quests.
  • New traps.  Make some new and exciting and flashy traps that again, the player would be able to use in his own games.

With something like this, a player who purchases the pack gets a new experience (fighting new monsters), gets cooler loot, gets neat things to put in their own dungeons.

A free player will always be able to get new weapons and equipment, but none of the really cool stuff.  They'd be able to play quests made by other people and see the new bosses and stuff, but not get any of the cool, unique loot.  The thing is, a free player will feel slighted if they learn that they'll basically never advance past a certain point if they don't pay money.  Once they hit that wall, they're left with a sour taste and have the choice to buy a quest pack (this is the point where lots of players will call the game a scam), or just quit the game, or keep playing for the fun of it if they really enjoy it.  

If you sell for $.99 up front, people will expect the whole game for that price.  This is where people say "Wait, I just paid for the game, but they want me to buy more?!"

If you go free, let them progress, but very slowly.  It's a slow uphill climb, but hey, at least they're still playing.  The longer you keep them playing, the longer you get to dangle new shiny stuff in front of their face, and the more likely they're to discover something they haven't seen before (such as an adventure from a player with a quest pack he doesn't have) and they go "Okay, now that's worth paying for!"

I personally think story is not very important in a loot-driven game.  Some people like just going in and hacking and slashing.

One way you could monetize the game further, is character customization.  People love that.  Sell cool or funny hats that the heroes could wear - look at how big that is for Team Fortress.  A Lincoln top hat or a mean-looking horned helm.  Sell them two for a buck or something, or use premium currency (Platinum coins only available through in-app purchases, 100 coins for $1.00) and sell them for like 25 to 200 currency each.  You could also have them carry a standard (flag) on their back with some cool designs that they'd buy in packs or singularly with premium currency.

Another thing you could do is just make it a very rare chance to find that +1 or +2 sword (like a 1% chance per chest opened to get a level-appropriate weapon), but with each quest pack bought, you increase that chance by .5% or 1%.  Extra incentive to buy.

Also, think about themed quest packs.  Instead of making just another quest to go kill a guy and take his loot, you could do a theme "loosely tied" to something people know about, something popular.  Take Indiana Jones for example.  With an Explorer/Adventurer expansion, you could have a guy named Alabama Jack or some other stupid shit, who sends you on quests to recover lost artifacts for him.  This pack could include a Persian, black-clothed dual-scimitar-wielding boss, monkeys in little jackets that will run up and try to steal gold from the players, a new trap - obviously - the giant stone ball that rolls down a hallway and crushes anything in its path.  An artifact weapon that's a whip with the ability to ignore falling pit traps (the hero uses the whip to catch onto something like Indy does), and you introduce some new stuff to the hat store - a hat that looks like Indy's hat, the scimitar guy's turban, a little red fez, stuff like that.

I wouldn't cancel the project.  From what I've seen, it looks really cool and seems like it has some good potential.  Especially if it's just going to be a fun side project

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #8 - 03/07/13 at 1:23am

Good stuff here Biff:)

Well, it's hard to come up with a good strategy here, personally I don't think it's bad to not find any different loot, specially because that's what happened with the original heroquest box.
At least we play with the content of the box and we don't create anything that it's not included in the original cards, just like the original board game, you want new stuff?, go and buy an expansion pack.
I know that some communities or groups just create their own stuff and add elements that were not originally included in the game.
In my case I'm trying to stick with the original game as much as possible, so finding only new shit on expansion packs doesn't look like a bad idea to me.....

The same goes for selling the game, the heroquest box was sold for 50$, if you want more new stuff you had to buy an expansion pack for 25$ (prices from the 90'). Personally I will prefer to sell the game at 2.99$ and include everything for free, the quests packs will be there for you.
Other similar games are sold at that price, mine can fit that category too, obviously people will prefer a 0.99$ game or even free.....

The issue is that this is not a side project for me, I've invested so far 15k$ and if I want to finish the game I will need another 15 grands, so obviously if I don't see enthusiasm I prefer to cancel the project and sell the project and code to someone else...
And so far what I saw in all forums is, "ok buddy just release your game and we'll see.." enough for me to cancel the game Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/08/13 at 11:56am by EskemaGames »  

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #9 - 03/08/13 at 10:41am

I getcha now.  The thing about HeroQuest though, which led many people to start expanding their rules with homebrew rules, is that basically when you finish all the quests in the box, your characters are pretty much maxed out.  The expansions really only brought about some kinda-useful artifacts and more/new miniatures.  

Sorry to hear that it hasn't been received too well.  Hopefully it all ends up well for you.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #10 - 03/08/13 at 12:05pm

Well, I guess that that's the difference between the box and the "computer" game, with the box nothing stops you to create anything you want, but for me as a developer I need to think in ways for people to pay.

If I let you create everything you want with the editor you won't be really interested in buying any extra stuff except for the fact of new enemies and decorations.

Personally I think that a game like this should be sold at 0.99$, AND also quest packs at the same price, BUT in such case I will not limit the editor and I will allow you to create weapons/equipment.
In this case you will find "interesting" to buy a new pack to get new monsters, plus the new items from the quests that will come with the pack (of course), unless you are fine fighting orcs forever... hehehehe

It is complicated because there are no other games like this one on the mobile market, the few turn based games are packed (dungeon crawlers for example), some missions, some loot, a story behind and that's all, just a standard game.
Offering here a free editor makes things more complicated to find a proper balance Smiley

IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

The Internet!, Oregon, USA
Reply #11 - 03/31/13 at 4:17am

I'm with Biff on the notion that the base game ought to have the things it uses available in the editor, but that the expansions add new stuff to play with.  That's the element that, I think, would make buying quest packs worthwhile.

A lot of games have a demo version available for free that can be turned into the full or base game for a small in-app purchase.  You might consider doing the same with two or three levels (the first level being a tutorial of sorts) and then have the $.99 unlock something equivalent to HQ quests 3-14 and the editor.  As long as it's clear that what you're downloading is a demo and that the full game is $.99 (along with expansions) from the outset, players ought not feel cheated.  

If I download a free game that was described as complete and discover I get 4 levels before I have to pay, I delete it pretty quickly.  If I knew it was a demo—enough to tell me that I wanted the full game—and I know what I'm paying for when the time comes to do so, I usually do without complaint.  Cheesy

I just don't like surprises.

IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #12 - 04/04/13 at 6:27am

I will keep these points in mind Smiley I also feel pissed off by all those "free" games that you have to pay to keep playing.
But I cannot add any message to say "this is a demo", apple bans all the games with such things, on android I can do it, but I cannot publish anything on the appstore with words like "lite, demo, alpha,etc".
So, hard to tell you that the game is a "demo" without being rejected by apple.

IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

The Internet!, Oregon, USA
Reply #13 - 04/04/13 at 4:13pm

That's a good point—I hadn't considered that foolishness.  People are just inventing new words that mean demo anyway, "free" being the most common.

Can you get away with including in the description that "episode 1 is included" and that "episode 2 ($0.99 in-app purchase) concludes the adventure" and also that it unlocks an editor and the ability to share new adventures?

IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #14 - 04/05/13 at 4:27am

Could be..... but as far as apple concerns, anything that proves that the game is not complete means a rejection. You can create a game, and add let's say extra levels with in-app purchases, but if you mention something like "episode 1 included, buy other episodes with in-apps", then apple will probably reject your game until you modify that "behaviour".

The funny thing is that maybe other games were approved with this crap, but you cannot complain to apple and use other games as example, so at the end it's just a lottery, if the reviewer wants to skip all that bureaucratic crap he will just approve your game. Kinda lottery....

Anyways I hope to post a new video soon with the new aspect of the game Smiley

IP Logged

Sjeng
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Chaotic Good Orcish Bard

in a dungeon, Netherlands
Reply #15 - 05/22/13 at 4:07am

I'd love to see this game on Android too.

... ...
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #16 - 06/10/13 at 3:54pm

Hey guys, long time since my last post. I just wanted to let you know that I'm preparing an android beta and I will post the download link here, I'm really interested in some feedback about the game, so I prefer to release a beta on the forums and test the waters....  Grin

IP Logged

Sjeng
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Chaotic Good Orcish Bard

in a dungeon, Netherlands
Reply #17 - 06/11/13 at 3:56am

Great! Can't wait to try it out on my Samsung tab Smiley

... ...
IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Reply #18 - 06/15/13 at 9:16am

Btw, here's a screenshot of the new look (forget about the UI, will be completely replaced), still fixing and doing some final touches for the first beta process Smiley

IP Logged

EskemaGames
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Alicante, Spain
Re: Depth's Army (heroquest inspired) iOS & Android
Reply #19 - 09/11/13 at 8:31am

Long time since my last post Smiley

Another push with the new UI, it's starting to take shape Smiley

Btw, forget the number at the bottom right corner, it's just for testing purposes, I'm testing the framerate

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print