Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 9:42am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
BREAKING NEWS: Concept art from unreleased Wizard expansion! (Read 32818 times)
skyknight
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I used to be disgusted...anymore
I am just amused.

Watkins Glen, NY, New York, USA
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Concept art from unreleased Wizard expansion!
Reply #40 - 01/30/12 at 6:41pm

Ok cool....alright, from his pics....never saw a centaur or that standing elf warrior...thinking that may be the same as the kneeler just a secondary sketch.

As for remaining....

I have seen them all.....and the poses are almost identical.

There are still four more missing by my count.  I have to believe that they belong to the Dwarf Set, I could be wrong there.  As I said above...I need to get back to the box of them as I am in transit.  Once I do I can read the bottoms and make a little more heads and tails.  I am not thinking many were marked though.

Why are there so many friggin songs about rainbows?

IP Logged

Toco
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #41 - 01/30/12 at 11:48pm

Thanks for the extra insight SkyKnight. Well, if the other miniatures are (expected) to be from the Dwarf expansion, then they are not designed by Don K.

I'll have to get back in touch with Rick G. then. I'll post my findings here (and on my website).

The following is just speculation. Don designed the Centaur, but I guess then MB decided to re-use the Ogre sprues. That would have been cheaper offcourse.

The standing and kneeling elf/dwarf sketches look soooo similar to the final Elf miniatures; I think they were prelims to the final versions. They just had their beards shaved.
« Last Edit: 04/03/12 at 1:48am by Toco »  

Miniatures BLOG: www.tocoking.be/blog

Warhammer, Epic 40K, Necromunda, HeroQuest ...
IP Logged

skyknight
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I am just amused.

Reply #42 - 01/31/12 at 6:18am

Yep I agree....I think that is also the case with the elf.

IP Logged

magokiron
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Mexico City, Mexico
Reply #43 - 01/31/12 at 12:46pm

Thank you very much for those drawings.

HQ is THE GAME that introduced me to the world of wargames and miniatures more that 20 years ago, and is good to see all that NEW information about the never released dwarf and wizard expansions.

HeroQuest Dwarf HeroQuest Wizard

Thanks again and hope we can see more images of those 4ups once the IP issues are settled.

Best wishes.

My sword is bigger than yours. (I roll 1 extra CD)

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #44 - 02/01/12 at 3:46pm

skyknight wrote on 01/30/12 at 6:41pm:
There are still four more missing by my count.  I have to believe that they belong to the Dwarf Set, I could be wrong there.  As I said above...I need to get back to the box of them as I am in transit.  Once I do I can read the bottoms and make a little more heads and tails.  I am not thinking many were marked though.

I'm gonna offer some speculation here...

I believe your 4 undisclosed four-ups contains 3 from the Dwarf Expansion Set and 1 from the Wizard Expansion Set.  My reasons:
  • Both of the released, Hero-named Elf and Barbarian Quest Packs contained 1 new sprue of 9 figures each.
  • Both of the new sprues contained  5 new sculpts.
  • Don Kueker's art accounts for 4 new sculpts: the Female Wizard, the Minotaur, the Ratman, and the Giant Spider.  One more makes five, a full sprue.

As to what the four-ups are likely to be, look back to the released, named expansion sets:
  • The sprues from  both of the Elf and Barbarian Quest Packs includes 1 female Hero (Elf and Barbarian), 1 boss (Archmage/ Frozen Horror), 2 groups of tough, heavy-hitters (Ogres and Giant Wolves/ Warbears and Yeti), 1 group of missile troops (Elven Archers/ Crossbowmen), 1 or 2 groups of melee troops (Elven Warriors/ Swordsmen and Halberdiers), and 1 group of hit-and-run troops(Scouts/ Ice Gremlins).
  • A sprue of new sculpts includes 1-3 two-square figures.
  • Several (5-7) monsters of each set are larger than the Heroes.

I think it most likely the last four-up of the Wizard Quest Pack is a spellcaster.  My reasons:
  • A boss is needed.  The known best candidate is the Minotaur, but he works best as a pair of heavy-hitters, like the Warbear.
  • The boss of the Elf Quest Pack was the Archmage- a suitable opponent for the spellcasting Hero the set is named after.  The Wizard, of course, is even more of a spellcasting Hero.

So my guess is the new sprue included a female Wizard, 1 boss spellcaster, 2 Minotaurs, 3 Ratmen, and 3 Giant Spiders.  To satisfy the established formula of 2 groups of heavy-hitters, the Ratmen would have to be larger than Skaven or the Giant Spiders would probably have to be on two-square bases (not too likely).  Hmm.

As with the EQP and BQP, it is likely another, previously-released sprue was included to beef things up for the WQP. I'd go with another Mercenary sprue, as it would bring the total of American-released mercenaries up to the more flexible amount of 12, equal to number of Men-at-arms in the Dark Company edition, found overseas.  

Alternately, the extra sprue could be the gray monsters from the Game System.  The Chaos Warriors could compensate as heavy-hitters, as would an extra Gargoyle.  That would allow for medium-sized Ratmen and one-square Giant Spiders.  Then all the released figures would see increased numbers from all 4 expansion sets.

If the Dwarf Quest Pack followed the established formula, then it would include: 1 female Hero, 1 unknown boss, 2 Dwarven Warriors with warhammers, 2 Dwarven Crossbowmen and 3 Sabertooth Tigers.

As with the EQP, the Dwarven race would be supplied with its own warriors.  Probably don't need to include a Mercenary sprue in this one.  The gray monster sprue of the Game System works fine.

BTW, any guesses as to what the DQP boss is?

IP Logged

skyknight
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I am just amused.

Reply #45 - 02/01/12 at 8:15pm

I have to believe the last four are dwarf....one hero and three monsters.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #46 - 02/02/12 at 6:18am

skyknight wrote on 02/01/12 at 8:15pm:

Thank you very much for this incredibly usefull info! I'm really trying to find the sculptor. Many mails later, I'm still searching. But I still have hope Smiley

The sculptor is NOT Sandra Garrity, NOT Tom Meier, ... http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8396396#8396396

HeroQuest Dwarf

So, only 4 more miniatures remain to be revealed ... One of those is designed by Rick G. (the hammer-Dwarf) ...

IP Logged

finnpalm
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

DUCKFACE!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reply #47 - 02/02/12 at 8:44am

Daedalus wrote on 02/01/12 at 3:46pm:
or the Giant Spiders would probably have to be on two-square bases (not too likely).  Hmm.

Um, I'm sorry but how is that unlikely? I'd say it's actually rather likely. At least two squares, but maybe even four.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #48 - 02/02/12 at 9:15am

Judging from the art, I feel the Giant Spider doesn't appear to fit on a 1x2 square base.  However, I think the square shape of a 2x2 square would be great for a (very) Giant Spider, just as a 1 square shape works best for a smaller version. I should have clarified my reason for it being unlikely: a 2X2 figure can't enter the narrow 1-square corridors or fit through doors.  That would seriously reduce its threat, as Heroes could always retreat with no chance of pursuit beyond a door.  They could usually do this with unanswered parting shots that can be repeated every 2 turns.  From another room, missile fire and spells could be used  through a door to kill a Giant Spider with no threat to the Heroes at all.

IP Logged

finnpalm
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

DUCKFACE!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reply #49 - 02/02/12 at 10:02am

Daedalus wrote on 02/02/12 at 9:15am:
Judging from the art, I feel the Giant Spider doesn't appear to fit on a 1x2 square base.  However, I think the square shape of a 2x2 square would be great for a (very) Giant Spider, just as a 1 square shape works best for a smaller version. I should have clarified my reason for it being unlikely: a 2X2 figure can't enter the narrow 1-square corridors or fit through doors.  That would seriously reduce its threat, as Heroes could always retreat with no chance of pursuit beyond a door.  They could usually do this with unanswered parting shots that can be repeated every 2 turns.  From another room, missile fire and spells could be used  through a door to kill a Giant Spider with no threat to the Heroes at all.

1x2 squares is a fairly common size for giant spider minis if I'm not mistaken. 1x1 is not very giant and 2x2 is only dependant on the sculpt and if it's got it's legs spread like a normal spider or tucked together to fit on a 1x2 base. Smiley

EDIT: Typically I was going to post pictures of examples but can't find any..  Roll Eyes

On the other hand you have different fingers.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #50 - 02/02/12 at 1:04pm

No prob.  I found some pics...
First check out this pic provided by Toco of the original HQ art for the Giant Spider by Don Kueker.  Its legs seem to be splayed apart pretty-evenly around it.

Similar poses can be found in the Castle Ravenloft D&D Boardgame spider and the Heroscape Fiyorlag spiders.  ......

Giant Spiders on 2 squares are certainly do-able, but the legs must tuck together in pairs alongside the body.  I found some pics of the GW spider-riders from Battle for Skull Pass that show the needed pose:...

I like the menacing size, and I personally think the Wizard's Quest Pack could do with another tough, heavy-hitter. I just feel that based on their position, 4 legs of the Kueker Giant Spider aren't close enough alongside the body. It has already been posted that the pose of the four-up matches the Kueker art almost identically. But posts have also shown that my assumptions about the unreleased Quest Packs are sometimes inaccurate. Without more details, we're all free to decide what we would proxy anyway. I wonder how big a Giant Spider really is...
« Last Edit: 08/22/14 at 7:17am by Daedalus »  

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #51 - 02/02/12 at 1:56pm

skyknight wrote on 02/01/12 at 8:15pm:

@ Skyknight-
Toco's site talks about your nice bit of Heroscape fiction with Thor and the Dwarves.  You also included trolls in that background.  Buried 'em alive in the cavern with the life-sustaining Wellspring, to be precise.  If the Dwarves were ever released by the Creators to free Thor, would that mean that a surviving Troll could later be discovered by their action as well?  Or would you say that just isn't the case?  

Nice Thor's Citadel map, by the way.

IP Logged

skyknight
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I am just amused.

Reply #52 - 02/02/12 at 2:01pm

nah...nothing to it.  I used to playtest Scape and that was just one of my giant maps I made back in the day.  the last four sculpts I have not ever really mentioned or clued at.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #53 - 02/03/12 at 5:43am

You did clue to the hammerwielding Dwarf by Rick Grayson? so that leaves us 3 unknown miniatures.

I have NO clue, so the following is a GUESS: a bear is one of them. (Fits in the row with Sabretooth, Wolf, Spider.)

Second guess - a flyer - maybe a giant BAT ?
« Last Edit: 03/06/12 at 7:24am by Toco »  

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #54 - 04/03/12 at 1:49am

I throw the towel in the ring. Someone might wish to pick up the thread and find out more/all.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #55 - 05/23/13 at 2:20am

skyknight wrote on 02/02/12 at 2:01pm:
nah...nothing to it.  I used to playtest Scape and that was just one of my giant maps I made back in the day.  the last four sculpts I have not ever really mentioned or clued at.

OK, but since you think they would have been for the Dwarf Expansion, it is now safe to say there were unpublished expansions for Wizard (as proven on my site) and Dwarf (hinted by you) miniatures. Cool.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #56 - 06/23/15 at 5:54am

skyknight wrote on 01/30/12 at 5:00pm:
It was a joke Smiley   .....  don't read into it Smiley   .....

Toco has the Wizards expansion there but also a pic of one from the dwarf expansion I assume, that being the dwarf.  There are more in the dwarf expansion pack set as well.

What kind of other miniatures? Something else besides centaur, minotaur, ratman and sabretooth?

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reply #57 - 01/01/16 at 11:21pm

Any new leads or news for 2016?
I still love going back and looking at these drawings.
Thanks for all your effort.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #58 - 01/04/16 at 5:46am

All news end at SKYKNIGHT. Let's all hope he puts us in his will and we outlive him Wink

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reply #59 - 01/09/16 at 9:11pm

Grin    Well it's been a great run so far.
If it was a dwarf expansion I'm sure they would have at least thrown in a female dwarf.
They did it for all the others,well almost all the others...lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print