Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/20/19 at 7:01pm
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
heroquest extension "Champion de l'Empire" (Read 122368 times)
knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Re: heroquest extension "Champion de l'Empire"
Reply #320 - 04/22/13 at 2:59am

War Hammer and Staff of Sorcery are correct in all instances. I hope.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #321 - 04/23/13 at 12:05am

While searching for how to elaborate on the Cursed Castle, I came upon some needed re-edits in red. I've also included two Elvish pink edits that minimally incorporate some new ideas about the curse of the Rooster King's castle.

Daedalus wrote on 03/27/13 at 2:47pm:
page 27/28:
Quest 9

The Crown of Stolland

"The kingdom of Stolland is on the verge of civil war. Count Galinicus is dead; those who desired his death have accomplished their goal. If only one of the two leading families of the kingdom could possess the Crown of the Rooster King, then the region would be appeased. I bid you to retrieve the Crown, which lies hidden in the underground passages beneath the Cursed Castle. He who is in the Crown's possession thinks it and himself to be safe in those depths. But the armed forces of both Houses are already tracking down the Crown. Take care, for guardian powers have haunted this place for ages."

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a wizard's staff. Also, read to
    the Heroes the inscription written on a parchment laying on the sorcerer's table:
    "Beware
, the phantoms of this place are immortal. Banish or chastise them with ether."

B. The weapons rack holds a lance and a shield.

C. The Hero first entering these corridors discovers a cursed Wraith.  The Wraith always
    moves by rolling 1 red die in the direction of the closest Hero or monster. When its
    move ends adjacent to a Hero or monster, the Wraith attacks with five combat dice. A
    cursed Wraith can only be destroyed by the artifact Ethereal Punisher, Holy Water, or
    the Banishment spell.

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find the Crown of the Rooster
    King
and 200 gold coins in the first chest he opens.  The other chests also contain 200
    gold coins each.  
    A Hero can carry only one chest at a time.  When carrying a chest, he can only roll 1 red
    die for movement

At the end of this Quest, the Heroes must hurry to the capital of Stolland.  There will be no time to purchase equipment or hire new Companions.

Wandering Monster in this Quest: Guard

"The kingdom of Stolland is on the verge of civil war. Count Galinicus is dead, as those who desired his death have accomplished their goal. If only one of the two leading families of the kingdom could possess the Crown of the Rooster King, then the region would be appeased. I bid you to retrieve the Crown, which lies hidden in the underground passages beneath the Cursed Castle, former seat of the Rooster King. He who is in the Crown's possession thinks it and himself to be safe in those depths. But the armed forces of both Houses are already tracking down the Crown. Take care, for guardian powers have haunted this place for ages."

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a staff of sorcery. Also, read to the
    Heroes the inscription written on a parchment laying on the sorcerer's table: "Beware, the
    phantoms of this place are immortal. Banish or chastise them with ether."

C. The Hero first entering these corridors discovers the Cursed Wraith.  It is all that remains of a traitor  
    that helped bring about the fall of the Cursed Castle.
The Cursed Wraith always moves in the
    direction of the closest Hero or monster.  Its stats are as follows:

___________    ___________    ___________    ___________    ___________
    Movement       Attack         Defend           Body            Mind            
     1 red die             5                  2                   1                  0
    ___________    ___________    ___________    ___________    ___________

The Cursed Wraith can move through monsters and objects as a normal Wraith.
 The Cursed Wraith
    can only be destroyed
by the artifact Ethereal Punisher, Holy Water, or the Banishment spell.

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find the Crown of the Rooster King and 200
    gold coins in the first chest he opens.  The other chests also contain 200 gold coins
each.  A Hero can
    carry only one chest at a time.  When carrying a chest, he can only roll 1 red die for movement

Notes:
C. I renamed this monster the Cursed Wraith to differentiate it from normal Wraiths, which have different stats.  This follows published examples of special monsters. I also chose to move the information about the Cursed Wraith rolling 1 red die for movement and attacking with 5 combat dice to a stat bar, which also follows published expansions.  Furthermore, text was removed the about moving adjacent and attacking, as all monsters always do that anyway as part of combat.  If you disagree that it is unecessary, you could re-insert it as "...The Cursed Wraith always moves in the direction of the closest Hero or monster.
 When its move ends adjacent to a Hero or monster, the Cursed Wraith attacks.  Its stats are as follows:"

Maybe the Cursed Wraith could also be vulnerable to the Spirit Blade, either full damage or just 1 skull maximum.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #322 - 04/23/13 at 10:32am

Backtracking to insert insert some Ahlin background as an edit in Elvish pink, I came across some new edits in red.  

Daedalus wrote on 03/18/13 at 1:59pm:
page 25/26:
Quest 8

The Conspiracy Unravels

"The scale of the conspiracy from within Stolland is unravelling. I fear it is not merely a simple attack by marauding Orcs anymore: my agents report of a secret alliance between the Orc hordes and Morcar's henchmen. We have to learn more about the plans being forged at all costs, for any political instability will surely threaten the safety of Stolland. You must infiltrate the hideout of Ahlin and expose Morcar's secret plans. Be prudent, however, for Morcar surely has already sent one of his Champions to supervise the progress."

Notes:

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a map lying on the table that shows
    invasion plans .  It clearly indicates that one of the powerful families of Stolland is deeply involved in
    the conspiracy backing Morcar's evil plan, but which one it is, isn't stated. If the Guards would not
    have all been killed or would not have escaped, they could have been questioned....  Note that the
    Necromancer cannot reanimate them.

page 25/26:
Quest 8

The Conspiracy Unravels

"The scale of the conspiracy from within Stolland is unravelling. I fear it is not merely a simple attack by marauding Orcs anymore, as my agents report of a secret alliance between the Orc hordes and Morcar's henchmen. We have to learn more about the plans being forged at all costs, for any political instability will surely threaten the safety of Stolland. You must infiltrate the ruins of Ahlin's Citadel and expose Morcar's secret plans. Be prudent, however, for Morcar surely has already sent one of his Champions to supervise the progress."

Notes:

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a map lying on the table that shows invasion
    plans.  It clearly indicates that one of the powerful families of Stolland is deeply involved in the
    conspiracy backing Morcar's evil plan, but which one isn't stated. If the Guards had not all
    been killed or had not escaped, they could have been questioned....  Note that the
    Necromancer cannot reanimate them.

Notes:
I went with ruins of Ahlin's Citadel to indicate Ahlin has passed.  This better fits the conception of Ahlin as a creator of artifacts.  Other possible placenames are the foundations of Ahlin's ruined Citadel, Ahlin's ancient citadel, or the ancient Ahlin's Citadel.  Tower can also be substituted for citadel if you feel it's too obscure.  Kellar's Keep did use the placename Great Citadel, so I figured it was okay.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #323 - 04/23/13 at 2:14pm

Time for a heads up.  I managed to switch styles of capitalization for equipment between Quests 5 and 7 (its been a long project for me).  The first 6 Quests use equipment names with capial letters, as explained in this note:

Daedalus wrote on 09/10/12 at 2:33pm:
I capitalized Chain Mail Armor using the US EQP and BQP style; however, the Main Quest System Quest Book is less concerened with this, as staff wasn't capitalized within it.  I feel capitalizing makes it more clear Chain Mail Armor is a piece of equipment from a card or the Armory.[/color]

From Quest 7 on, I forgot about my first decision and switched to lower case names.  Here are the instances, with corrections in red (plus a couple of other edits):

1. Daedalus wrote on 03/17/13 at 1:24pm:
page 21/22:
Quest 7

The Ambush

Notes: ...

A. This is the armory.  It contains the weapons of ancient, fallen warriors. The first Hero that searches
    the room for treasure
will find a helmet, a shield, a broadsword, and a short bow....

Notes: ...

A. This is the armory.  It contains the weapons of ancient, fallen warriors. The first Hero that searches
    the room for treasure
will find a Helmet, a Shield, a Broadsword, and a Short bow....

2. Daedalus wrote on 03/18/13 at 1:59pm:
page 25/26:
Quest 8

The Conspiracy Unravels

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a halberd and a short bow in the chest.

B. ...Black Mask is equipped with a crossbow and a Potion of Healing which restores up to 4 lost Body
. He also owns the artifact Ethereal Cloak which allows him to both pass and attack through
    walls or other obstacles--but not with his crossbow. If his Body Points are reduced below 4, he will
    try to escape to the spiral stairway....

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a Halberd and a Short bow in the chest.

B. ...Black Mask is equipped with a Crossbow and a Potion of Healing which restores up to 4 lost Body
. He also owns the artifact Ethereal Cloak which allows him to both pass and attack through
    walls or other obstacles--but not with his crossbow. If his Body Points are reduced below 4, he will try
    to escape to the spiral stairway....

3. Daedalus wrote on 03/27/13 at 2:47pm:
page 27/28:
Quest 9

The Crown of Stolland

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a wizard's staff. Also, read to
    the Heroes the inscription written on a parchment laying on the sorcerer's table:
    "Beware
, the phantoms of this place are immortal. Banish or chastise them with ether."

C. The Hero first entering these corridors discovers a cursed Wraith. The Wraith always
    moves by rolling 1 red die in the direction of the closest Hero or monster. When its
    move ends adjacent to a Hero or monster, the Wraith attacks with five combat dice. A
    cursed Wraith can only be destroyed by the artifact Ethereal Punisher, Holy Water, or
    the Banishment spell.

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find the Crown of the Rooster
    King
and 200 gold coins in the first chest he opens.  The other chests also contain 200
    gold coins each.  A Hero can carry only one chest at a time.  When carrying a chest, he
    can only roll 1 red die for movement

Notes:

A. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find a Wizard's Staff. Also, read to the Heroes the
    inscription written on a parchment laying on the sorcerer's table: "Beware, the phantoms of this place
    are immortal. Banish or chastise them with ether."

B. The weapons rack holds a Lance and a Shield.

C. The Hero first entering these corridors discovers a cursed Wraith. The Wraith always moves by rolling
    ONE red die in the direction of the closest Hero or monster. When its move ends adjacent to a Hero or
    monster, the Wraith attacks with five combat dice. A cursed Wraith can only be destroyed by the
    artifact Ethereal Punisher, Holy Water, or the Banishment spell.

D. The first Hero to search for treasure in this room will find the Crown of the Rooster King and 200 gold
    coins in the first chest he opens.  The other chests also contain 200 gold coins each.  A Hero can carry
    only one chest at a time.  When carrying a chest, he can only roll
ONE red die for movement....

I read somewhere in the thread that you plan to submit both US and EU styles of capitalization to ghan. I hope this post helps to prevent overlapping styles.  I'm gonna switch back to capitalization of equipment for the rest of the Quests (hopefully).

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #324 - 04/24/13 at 10:58am

1. Instead of "seat of the Rooster King" I used "residence of the Rooster king". Hope that's appropriate

2. About the Cursed Wraith changes in the notes, I fully concur.

3. The capitalization of artifacts, equipment, and spells available as cards I'll do myself in an overall final edit when I bring everything in UK (European) formatting style, which ghan prefers. A little research for me to do, but no problem. I'll try to bring everything in coherence then.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #325 - 04/25/13 at 3:45pm

1. Residence sounds a little too modern to me.  How about fallen stronghold of the Rooster King or ancient and onetime bastion of the Rooster King?

3. OK, I'll revert back to lower case equipment names, ignoring my last capitalization edit suggestions. Capitalization of equipment isn't necessary anyway, as lower case is used in many expansions.  For later reference, you'll need the red edits included below.  I also added some other red edits.   Most are capitalizations of figures used in a Quest (ie. Guard, Villager) to match published style.

Daedalus wrote on 09/07/12 at 3:11pm:
page 11/12:
Quest 1

The Pass of Mount Clair

"My friends, you must take to Count Galinicus the news of his nomination for the title of Elector. In order to reunify Stolland, you must first embark on a journey to the south where at this time of year only one path leads: the Pass of Mount Clair. This part of the mountains is infested with Orcs and Goblins, although the Guards of Stolland still watch over this single passage at the southern end; only from there may you exit. Take care on your journey, for not many travellers return from that way these days."

Daedalus wrote on 09/10/12 at 2:33pm:
page 13/14:
Quest 2

Purging of the Marauders

"My friends, the Empire needs heroes like you in these troubled times. You have been chosen by the Count to assist in pacifying his kingdom. For weeks now, his estates have been falling victim to the raids of Orcs. The Count's scouts have already detected a key cavern of the Orcs. Your task is to conquer this complex and subdue the marauders' leader, the infamous Ghorghuk, and his personal guard. Upon your securing the pass once again, the Count will generously compensate you for your troubles. Yet, take care--for the Orcs are numerous and savage."

Notes:

A. This secret door can only be opened from the inside of this room. If a Hero searches for traps and secret doors in the adjacent corridor, he will find the secret door but will not be able to open it. The weapons rack holds a suit of chain mail armor....

Daedalus wrote on 11/04/12 at 2:17pm:
page 15/16:
Quest 3

Screams in the Night

''Your recent exploits are already being recounted across Stolland. Of course, the patriarch of House Trell has gotten wind of your more sinister misadventures as well. Your slaughtering of the Guards at the Pass of Mount Clair has given Trell a most precious instrument of pressure to lay upon you. Thus, he has entrusted-–better yet--burdened you with a task most delicate: the assassination of a rival merchant of his. This merchant, Thorik, is a Dwarven Revealer well known as House Galinicus' secretary of the treasury. His luxurious residence lies in the center of town. Although the night shall enwrap you in secrecy and darkness, the Guards search each and every obscure alley at times like these. So take care, my friends."

Notes: The Heroes have to play this Quest only if they did not pay the toll demanded by the Guards in the first Quest, "The Pass of Mount Clair".  If they did pay, then they may instead continue directly on to the Quest, "The Tomb of the Rooster King".  Should a Hero choose to become a Champion following this Quest, he may not become a Champion of Light.

The doors in town are firmly closed.  Should a Hero want to force open a door, he must first roll a combat die: If a skull is rolled, the door will remain intact and closed; if a white shield is rolled, it will open; and if a black shield is rolled, the noise will alarm those Guards who can "see" that door. The gates leading into town or a door leading into the dark portion of the map can never be opened.

A. These Guards are on patrol. They randomly move on the Evil Wizard Player's turn by rolling two red dice. The dice total is the same number as the square on the map where one of them will end his movement; the other Guards will then be set as close to him as possible.  The patrol randomly moves around town until the alarm is sounded, or they "see" a Hero whom they will then follow.

The alarm is sounded when a guard is attacked or when Thorik (see room C) ends his turn on either square marked "XX". When the alarm is sounded, immediately put all remaining Guards on the board. All Guards may now move and attack normally.
Guards [Mov. 8, Att. 3, Def. 5, Body 1, Mind 3]

C. This is Thorik's house. Use the Chaos Warlock figure to represent Thorik on the board. Thorik is a Dwarven Revealer, equipped with a halberd, chain mail, and a Potion of Resolve....

Daedalus wrote on 01/30/13 at 2:13pm:
page 19/20:
Quest 5

Requiem for a Ball

Notes: This Quest is not played exclusively using the standard Hero Quest rules, but instead incorporates a special rule set of its own (pp. 17/18). The Heroes who serve House Trell start on the squares marked "X", while the Heroes who serve House Galinicus start on the stairway.[/size]

B. This chest contains 100 gold coins and a crossbow.

E. The Guards in these rooms do not move until the Count is attacked by a Hero or a Companion. Until
    then, they may not join as Companions to those Heroes in the service of Galinicus. The weapons

rack contains a hand axe and a tool kit.

If no Villagers have been killed by the end of the Quest, all Heroes are compensated with 150 gold coins each.

(The Notes information before A. and after E. are no longer in bold lettering to match published style. Correct indenting of lettered notes is enough to set these sections apart.  I started making these changes in later Quests, so I edited it here, as well.  The beginning and middle Quests should also have bold lettering taken out and lettered notes indented if they too are to match the published style.  Of course, its a pain in the ass to set the indenting unless the correct formatting code is used.  I guess this is ghan's call.)

Daedalus wrote on 02/21/13 at 6:15pm:
page 21/22:
Quest 6

The Cemetery of the Cursed

'The news I must tell you is dire. The kingdom has learned that some among you have committed treason, but also that the assault on the castle was merely a ruse. The true goal was the abduction of the future heir to the throne, Hector Galinicus. He disappeared that evening. As Champions, it shall be your task to find and save the boy in order to make amends. His abductors appear to have hidden in House Trell's mausoleum. Beware, for it is a cemetery of the cursed which is populated by restless spirits capable of fatal spells. A powerful Sorcerer guards their souls, yet the sole heir to the throne must be recovered safe and sound."

This edit could go either way.  Sorcerer was capitalized in the fluff of the Game System Quest Book, and figures represented on the board are capitalized as a convention, as well.  This assumes the "powerful Sorcerer" is indeed Varten Trell, or at least Hector Galanicus.  The odd thing is, Varten Trell is represented by the Gargoyle figure, not a Chaos Sorcerer figure.

Here's another change I'd suggust upon review:
Daedalus wrote on 03/17/13 at 1:24pm:
page 21/22:
Quest 7

The Ambush

"Your lack of vision has resulted in dire calamities. The treasure destined to stabilize the Empire's southern region has been stolen. Even worse, the sole heir to the throne of the kingdom has disappeared. Yet, the dark powers have something still more foreboding in store for us. The hooded man who instigated the conspiracy at the ball has set a trap for you and shown you his face.  He is no other than Hector Galinicus, heir to the throne! However, he has magically silenced you before you could reveal the truth and imprisoned you in a dark cell without any of you being able to defend yourselves. Fortunately, Augustus Trell has found the courage to send his men to deliver you. Now is the time for your revenge...."

I changed the the reference "...and shown you his face: it is that of Hector Galinicus." to "...and shown you his face.  He is no other than Hector Galinicus, heir to the throne!" in order to insert a little more drama into this revelation and re-establish who he is in this Quest.  Otherwise, there is a danger the players won't make the connection from the previous Quests which are sometimes played weeks or even months prior to this one.

[Quests 7-9 needn't be re-edited for capitalization, as you can simply ignore those parts of my previous post.]

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #326 - 04/26/13 at 10:37pm

All changes made in my word file.
I went with fallen stronghold.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #327 - 04/29/13 at 9:42am

On to the Quest 10 edits:

knightkrawler wrote on 02/23/12 at 9:03am:
page 29/30:
Quest Nine: Civil War

'My friends, unfortunately, although you hurried to the city with the artifact to secure the Kingdom's stability, civil war has already escalated in the capital and other towns. The two families battle without mercy over the Crown of Stolland. The orcs that lurked at the borders, have gathered in the country and mercilessly maraud over it. We have to take a side, now! In the South of the city you find the palace of House Galinicus, in the East the estate of House Trell. You have to take the Crown of the Rooster King to one of them. Save the city's inhabitants, for thousands of lives have already been lost because of ambition and vanity.'

Notes: Inform the Heroes that they have strolled the city before, which is why you, Morcar, set up all rooms and corridors as well as those traps already found or triggered before the quest begins - except the centre room C. The villagers will follow the Heroes inoffensively, because it is the safest place to be for them, but they are attacked by monsters. If none of these six villagers survives, the Heroes automatically become Champions of Dark after this quest.

X. At every turn, you dispose one goblin, orc, or fimir on each of the squares marked 'X'.

A. Upon opening this chest, which is empty, the Heroes meet a wandering merchant.

B. This chest is protected by an arrow trap. The Hero who opens it loses one body point. The chest contains a potion of healing which restores up to four body points, a potion of will, and a potion of velocity.

C. This room is not set up until the secret door is found and opened. Above the fireplace the Heroes find the artifact Borin's Helmet.

D. The Heroes can leave this quest through two exits. The southern (bottom) exit leads to House Galinicus, the eastern (right-handed) exit leads to the Trell estate. The Heroes have to decide where to take the Crown of the Rooster King.

E. These trap doors are connected by a a subterranean corridor. The weapon rack holds a weapon to be determined by drawing an equipment card.

Wandering Monster:  HeroQuest Orc

page 29/30:
Quest 10

Civil War

"My friends, although you've hurried to the city with the Crown to secure the kingdom's stability, civil war has unfortunately already escalated in the capital and other towns. The two families battle without mercy over this artifact of Stolland, and the Orcs that have been lurking at the borders have gathered in the countryside and now mercilessly maraud over it. You have to take sides, and now! In the south of the city, you will find the palace of House Galinicus, and in the east you will find the estate of House Trell. You must take the Crown of the Rooster King to one of them. Save those city inhabitants that you can, for thousands of lives have already been lost due to ambition and vanity."

Notes:

Place all the rooms and corridors except the central chamber on the Gameboard before this Quest begins.  Inform the Heroes that they have walked the city before, which is why the Quest is laid out in advance. Six Villagers
will follow the Heroes inoffensively for safety, but they still may be attacked by monsters. If none of these six Villagers survives, the Heroes automatically become Champions of Darkness at the end of this Quest.

On every Evil Wizard Player's turn, place a Goblin, Orc, or Fimir on each of the squares marked with an "X".

A. The first Hero who searches for treasure will meet a Wandering Merchant, as shown on the new
    Treasure Card.  The chest is empty.

B. This chest is protected by an arrow trap. If a Hero searches for treasure before the trap has been
    disarmed, he will lose 1 Body Point.
 The chest contains a Potion of Healing which restores up to 4
    Body Points
, a Potion of Will, and a Potion of Velocity.

C. Don't place the contents of this room on the gameboard until the room's secret door is found and
    opened.  The first Hero to search for treasure will
find the artifact Borin's Helmet above the fireplace.

D. The Heroes leave this Quest through either of two exits: the southern exit at the bottom of the
    gameboard
leads to House Galinicus, while the eastern exit at the right side of the gameboard leads
    to the Trell estate. The Heroes have to choose where to take the Crown of the Rooster King.

E. These trap doors are connected by a a subterranean corridor. Any Hero or monster landing on one of
    these squares immediately moves to the other trap door square.  The Hero's or monster's turn is then
    over.
 The weapons rack holds a weapon that is determined by drawing an Equipment Card.

HeroQuest Orc Wandering Monster in this Quest: Orc

Notes:
E. I reworded the trap door description to match the published style.  I think it wise to do this, as it avoids possible complications as to which level a Hero or monster is on if his move is insufficient to reach the other trap door in one turn.  This method also doesn't require an actual underground passage to be traveled, which is best since the map doesn't support this.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #328 - 05/01/13 at 10:25am

Quest edited.
Only a few pages to go, me man...
Go Daedalus, go...

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #329 - 05/02/13 at 3:06pm

While checking on Companion abilities, I noticed some more needed edits in red:

knightkrawler wrote on 02/20/12 at 12:58pm:
page 3:
Playing Champions of the Empire

The Quests of [i]Champions of the Empire
are played using the rules of the original Hero Quest. No part of any other Hero Quest expansion is needed to play these Quests. Nevertheless, please note the following changes and specifications:
    * The Heroes will not embark on all of the Quests presented in this expansion. It is recommended to respect the succession of the Quests as they are presented unless otherwise noted.
    * The Heroes must sometimes leave a Quest through a door instead of returning to the stairway.
    * The Quest "Requiem for a Ball" is to be played under special rules given in the Quest's introduction (pp. 17-18).
    * This new campaign presents to the Heroes the options of becoming Champions of the Empire and recruiting companions.

New Equipment, Artifacts, and Treasure

The new Equipment, Artifact, and Treasure cards are added to the respective existing card decks of the Hero Quest base game. These cards are similar to those of the original game (or the items of the Armory). When a Hero finds one of these items, he should record it on his game sheet.

* Equipment Cards: Short Bow, Wizard's Staff, Warhammer, Plate Helmet, Halberd
    * Artifact Cards: Crown of the Rooster King, Ethereal Punisher, Borin's Helmet, Ahlin's Orb, Lance of Radiance
    * Treasure Cards: Potion of Resolve, Poison, Tainted Potion of Healing, Wandering Trader, Traveling Merchant

New Magic Powers

The expansion Champions of the Empire offers spellcasters four new sets of spells: Metal, Light, Death, and Spirit. The latter two are reserved solely for the Necromancer; they may not be chosen by any other Hero. Otherwise the rules for picking spells remain unchanged.

page 3:
Playing Champions of the Empire

The Quests of Champions of the Empire are played using the rules of the original Hero Quest game. No part of any other Hero Quest expansion is needed to play these Quests. Nevertheless, please note the following changes and specifications:
  • The Heroes will not embark on all of the Quests presented in this expansion. It is recommended to respect the succession of the Quests as they are presented unless otherwise noted.  
  • The Heroes must sometimes leave a Quest through a door instead of returning to the staircase.  
  • The Quest "Requiem for a Ball" is to be played under special rules given in the Quest's introduction (pp. 17-18).    
  • This new campaign presents to the Heroes the options of becoming Champions of the Empire and recruiting Companions.
New Equipment, Artifacts, and Treasure

The new Equipment, Artifact, and Treasure Cards are added to their respective card decks of the Hero Quest base game. These cards are similar to those of the original game (or the items of the Armory). When a Hero finds one of these items, he should record it on his Character Sheet.
  • Equipment Cards: Short Bow, Wizard's Staff, Warhammer, Plate Helmet, Halberd
  • Artifact Cards: Crown of the Rooster King, Ethereal Punisher, Borin's Helmet, Ahlin's Orb, Lance of Radiance
  • Treasure Cards: Potion of Resolve, Poison, Tainted Potion of Healing, Wandering Trader, Traveling Merchant
New Magic Powers

The expansion Champions of the Empire offers spellcasters four new sets of spells: Metal, Light, Death, and Spirit. The latter two are reserved solely for the Necromancer, so they may not be chosen by any other Hero. Otherwise, the rules for picking spells remain unchanged.

Notes:
I changed the formatting so as to include bullet points with full indenting of those lines.  I also eliminated indentation of paragraphs.   (Maybe you've already done this in your Word document, but I wanted to be sure things matched ghan's formatting.)  I may have mentioned before that the NA rules uses the term spell groups, not sets of spells.  That could change the wording in the New Magic Powers section to "
...offers spellcasters four new spell groups".

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #330 - 05/05/13 at 1:08am

Changes made.
As for the formatting, I intend to do it UK rulebook style before I send the finished file to ghan. So, you don't have to worry about that as I'll edit the whole thing again in one fell swoop.
I'm also going to implement British spelling, e.g. changes from "-or" back to "-our" as in "rumor" and "artifact" back to "artefact" and things like these.

IP Logged

Sjeng
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Chaotic Good Orcish Bard

in a dungeon, Netherlands
Reply #331 - 05/06/13 at 3:38am

Will the complete finished version be stand-alone? As in: everything you need to know about new rules is in there? Tiles perhaps as well?
If so, I'm definately gonna print the UK version Wink

... ...
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #332 - 05/06/13 at 7:14am

It's gonna be a full expansion, European style, with a quest & rule book à la "Against the Ogre Horde" and "Wizards of Morcar".
It will be standalone, with a printable tile and cards appendix, so fret not.

It can be played directly after the base game as far as the degree of difficulty is concerned. To give an example, it's a tad more difficult than your "Into the Sewers" expansion, I gather from reading both.
But mind you, character-wise there are gonna be repercussions. Heroes may tread the path of Light or of Dark and acquire new skills, advantages and disadvantages.
If these changes are to be kept beyond "Champions of the Empire", that's the players' and the gamemaster's decision, I guess.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #333 - 05/08/13 at 11:44am

Here's another one, with edits in blue:

knightkrawler wrote on 02/24/12 at 11:12am:
page 31/32:
Quest Ten: The Mask Falls

'My friends, the war has spread fire and blood over the Kingdom. The House you serve has ordered you to dispose the evil necromancer who has pulled the strings of the sinister forces from his sanctuary. Hector Galinicus, as some have already suspected, was the instigator of the conspiracy. He is hiding in a dungeon at the foot of the mountains, which, I am afraid, holds many traps and henchmen for you to finally surrender, my champions. Thus, take care, for the enemy knows that our greatest strength is our solidarity. If he manages to divide you, our cause will be lost.'

Notes:

A. As soon as the last Hero has entered this room, the phantom silhouette of Hector Galinicus appears and activates a circle of invocation. Each of the heroes is teleported to one of the squares marked 'X' with his companions. There is a trial for every Hero.

B. The Wizard's Trial: The bookrest holds a potion of strength and a potion of healing which restores up to four body points. The mummies in this passage defend by rolling white shields instead of black shields.

C. The Elf's Trial: These skeletons are protected by the spell of their liche mistress. Until the zombie is defeated, every fallen skeleton is replaced by another. The desk contains a potion of healing which restores up to four body points and a halberd.

D. The Barbarian's Trial: The guards are armed with magical weapons. They attack the adversary's mind points instead of body points. The sarcophagus contains a battle axe.

E. The Dwarf's Trial: The wraiths in these corridors never enter a room. If the Dwarf searches for treasure in the pit traps, he will find a potion of velocity in each of them. The weapon rack holds a warhammer.

F. The corpse of Hector Galinicus is sitting on the throne. It appears as though his deception has stripped him of the last remains of humanity. You must report to your instructing party that the threat continues to weigh heavily on the Kingdom, although Hector revealed himself as merely a ghost for now.

Wandering Monster:  HeroQuest Zombie

page 31/32:
Quest 11

The Mask Falls

"My friends, war has spread fire and blood over the kingdom.  The House you serve has ordered you to dispose of the evil necromancer who from his sanctuary has been pulling the strings of the sinister forces.  Hector Galinicus, as some have already suspected, is the instigator of the conspiracy.  He is hiding in a lair at the foot of the mountains, which I fear has been built for the sole purpose of thwarting you, the Champions of the Empire.  Thus, take care, for the enemy knows that our greatest strength is our solidarity.  If he manages to divide you, our cause will be lost."

Notes:

A. As soon as the last Hero has entered this room, a phantom silhouette of Hector Galinicus appears
    and activates a circle of invocation.  Each of the Heroes and any of his Companions are teleported to
    the appropriate square marked "X."  Seperate trials await each Hero in his own section.

B. The Wizard's Trial:  The Mummies in these rooms are protected by powerful magics, so they roll white
    shields instead of black when defending.  The first Hero to search for treasure in the room with the
    sorcerer's table will find
a Potion of Strength and a Potion of Healing which restores up to 4 lost Body
    Points.

C. The Elf's Trial:  These Skeletons are protected by the magic of their liche mistress who is now a
    Zombie
.  Until she is defeated, every fallen Skeleton is replaced by a new one on the Evil Wizard
    player's turn.  The first Hero to search for treasure in the room with the alchemist's bench will find a
    halberd and a Potion of Healing
which restores up to 4 lost Body Points.

D. The Barbarian's Trial:  The Guards are armed with magical weapons that roll hits against an

adversary's Mind Points instead of Body Points.  A Hero or Companion still defends normally and is
    considered dead if his Mind Points reach zero.  The first Hero to search for treasure in the room with
    the tomb will find
a battle axe.

E. The Dwarf's Trial:  The Wraiths in these corridors never enter rooms.  The first Hero to search for
    treasure in each pit trap will find a Potion of Velocity.  The first Hero to search for treasure in the
    room with the weapons rack will find
a warhammer.

F. The corpse of Hector Galinicus sits on the throne. It appears as though his deception has stripped
    him of the last remains of humanity. You must report to the House you serve that a threat continues
    to weigh on the kingdom, even though Hector hasn't yet revealed himself more than a mere apparition.

HeroQuest Zombie Wandering Monster in this Quest: Zombie

Notes:
I included double spacing between sentences, and after colons that are followed by 2 or more sentences. I'd recommend all of the Expansion use this style in your Word document, as the book is designed to be printed.

I changed dungeon to lair because dungeon mainly refers to a deep cell in a castle, while lair works as a secret base of operations.  The latter seems to better fit hiding in the mountains.  I further changed and simplified the sentence "He is hiding in a dungeon...to finally surrender, my champions." based off of a Google translation of two of ghan's sentences.  Here's an alternative translation that retains more of your wording, but is split into 2 sentences to avoid misconstruing a dungeon holding many henchmen that must be surrendered: He is hiding in a
trap-laden lair at the foot of the mountains.  I am afraid you must finally surrender many henchmen there, my Champions.

D. Attacking the Barbarian's reserve of 2 or 3 Mind Points with the Guards seems pretty rough to me.  If he doesn't hide behind a lot of Companions who must soak up the hits (not very heroic), I think he is doomed. How did playtesting go with this trial?  Am I forgetting some artifact other than the Talisman of Lore that evens the field?

F. I was having a little trouble with the end of this section, so I checked out Google Translate, which came up with this: "...the threat still weighs on the kingdom; Hector Galinicus was obviously not a screen of smoke." I agree with your rewording of the smokescreen reference, as it is too modern.  I think the reworking of the last clause works well, so I stuck with it after some of my own editing.  However, for an alternative translation closer to ghan's (not necessarily better), this could also work: "
...a threat still weighs on the kingdom; Hector Galinicus was clearly more than a facade."  

I realized recently everything may not fit on a half-page.  My text additions make things closer to the standard of the published expansions, but at the cost of a larger word count.  I'm afraid this problem also applies to other pages, though I haven't checked.  Do you think the font size can be reduced to make things fit, or do the pages need to be trimmed down by cutting details?  Or does a page have more space than I think?

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #334 - 05/09/13 at 1:21am

Changes made.

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #335 - 05/22/13 at 3:46pm

Upon rereading while searching New Monster information, I decided to ad some more optional edits in blue (see notes).

knightkrawler wrote on 02/20/12 at 1:31pm:
page 4:
New Rule: Melee

A new melee rule is introduced to compliment the original combat rules of Hero Quest: Whenever a Hero loses one or more Body points from a monster's melee attack, the Evil Wizard Player may exchange both combatants' positions; accordingly, whenever a monster loses Body points from a Hero's melee attack, the Hero may exchange positions with that monster. This rule only applies to combats that take place on adjacent or diagonally-conjoined squares. It does not apply to damage sustained from ranged combat, traps or spells.

Example: The Barbarian is attacked by an Orc and loses one Body point. The Evil Wizard Player decides to make use of the melee rule and exchanges the Orc's and Barbarian's positions.

New Monsters

Villagers
   Villagers are played by the Evil Wizard Player but do not attack the Heroes. The Evil Wizard Player decides if and when Villagers are attacked by monsters. Their safety is sometimes of importance to the Heroes.

Wraiths
   Wraiths are played using an additional special rule: They may pass through any object, wall, closed door, monster, or even through sections of the board that do not comprise a part of the Quest map. However, Wraiths may not move through squares occupied by a Hero.

Guards
   Guards are played by the evil wizard player. They may attack diagonally. Sometimes a Guard might choose to join the Heroes according to the Quest notes. Thus, attacking a Guard first might not be such a good idea.

page 4:
New Rule: Melee

A new melee rule is introduced to compliment the original combat rules of Hero Quest: Whenever a Hero loses 1 or more Body Points of damage from a monster's melee attack, the Evil Wizard Player may exchange both combatants' position; likewise, whenever a monster loses Body Points of damage from a Hero's melee attack, the Hero may exchange positions with that monster.  This rule only applies to attacks from an adjacent or diagonal square.  It does not apply to damage sustained from ranged combat, traps or spells.

Example: The Barbarian is attacked by an Orc and loses 1 Body Point of damage. The Evil Wizard Player decides to make use of the melee rule and exchanges the Orc's and Barbarian's positions.

New Monsters

Villagers
   Villagers are played by the Evil Wizard Player but do not attack the Heroes. The Evil Wizard Player decides if and when Villagers are attacked by monsters. Their safety is sometimes of importance to the Heroes.

Wraiths
   Wraiths are played using an additional special rule: They may pass through any object, wall, closed door, monster, or even through sections of the board that do not comprise a part of the Quest Map. However, Wraiths may not move through squares occupied by a Hero.

Guards
   Guards are played by the evil wizard player. They may attack diagonally. Sometimes, a Guard might choose to join the Heroes according to the Quest Notes. Thus, attacking a Guard first might not be such a good idea.

Notes:
I changed one Body point/Body points, Quest map, and Quest notes, but maybe you're intentionally using European stylization.  If that is so, ignore the changes, of course.  If you go with EU stylization, I'd again recommend Evil Wizard player to match.
Conjoined works like therefore, so I switched in likewise to confer a meaning of moreover or also.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #336 - 05/26/13 at 2:44am

All optional changes implemented with the exception of the capitalized 'P' in Body points. Keeping consistent with British cards for now until I edit the whole thing again comparing it to British quest and rule books.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #337 - 06/30/13 at 7:52am

Hey Daedalus, long time no see.
in order to give an overview over what's left to be edited - and to make it a little simpler for you, too, here's the rest of the quest book as it stands.
Don't bother with the formatting, I'll go over it...

All of this reads as if you've already been over it. If so, let me know so I can finish this bitch during the next fex weeks and send it to ghan.

Quest 12: The Fall of House Galinicus

'My friends, today your allegiance with House Trell has been firmly established. Augustus Trell further affirmed that Hector Galinicus, the young heir, was pulling the strings of the conspiracy. Indeed, occult magics curiously consumed his humanity before he could be brought to justice, yet by his fault many came to harm. Thus, it is time to dispose of the rebellious machinations of House Galinicus once and for all. Nevertheless, the Emperor has sent his heroes to save the deceased count's family from further harm. But, the Emperor is far away, so, does he know how the conspiracy happened exactly? Augustus Trell appraises you alone to have the elements at your disposal of deciding who is worthy of the throne of Stolland. Kill them all, none of them shall survive!"

Notes: The Heroes play this quest if the Crown of the Rooster King was given to House Trell after the events of "Civil War". The castle is in a pitious condition, all the traps therein can not be deactivated. After completion of the quest, the Evil Wizard player continues by reading "The Triumph of Morcar" to the heroes.

A. The cabinet contains a Potion of Healing which restores up to four Body points, a Potion of Resolve, and a broadsword.

B. The guards are armed with crossbows. They have a ranged attack of three combat dice.

C. The Emperor has sent Champions of Light to dispose of the Champions of Darkness at Castle Trell. Each of them starts on any one square marked 'C'. They are:
* Valten the Protector: Mov. 1 die/ Att. 4/ Def. 7/ Body 8/ Mind 3.
Valten can use a Potion of Velocity and a Potion of Strength.
* Balthazar Gelt: Mov. 2 dice/ Att. 2/ Def. 4/ Body 4/ Mind 6.
Gelt is a champion Seer who owns the artifact Ahlin's Orb and a Heroic Brew. Before the quest, he may choose two sets of spells BEFORE the Heroes do.
* Korhil the Sage: Mov. 2 dice/ Att. 3/ Def. 5/ Body 5/ Mind 5.
Korhil uses a halberd and a Heroic Brew. Before the quest, he may choose one set of spells BEFORE the Heroes do. Furthermore, he may then exchange those spells for two potions from the treasure card deck before the quest.

Quest 13: The Punishment of the Felons

'My friends, today your allegiance to the Empire has been firmly established. Your loyalty to the Emperor's judgement has made you capable of seeing clearly the truth behind the conspiracy unravelling before your eyes. The obscure House Trell in reality serves its own interests and those of the forces of chaos. Its members must be punished for their treason and thus the Emperor has sent you as their executioners. No Trell shall survive. Take care, for Augustus Trell, the principal of the family, has dark powers and powerful allies. Morcar has sent his Champions of Darkness to protect him.'

Notes: The Heroes play this quest if the Crown of the Rooster King has been returned to House Galinicus. After this quest, the Evil Wizard player continues by reading "The Triumph of the Empire" to the Heroes.

A. If the first Hero entering this room is a Champion of Light, these guardians join him as though they were companions instead of attacking the heroes.

B. This chest contains a Heroic Brew and the artifact Wand of Recall.

C. This chest is protected by a trap: all Heroes in the room lose one Body point. The chest contains 100 gold coins.

D. Morcar has sent his Champions of Darkness to assist Trell and to dispose of the Heroes. Each Champion starts on any one square marked 'D'.
* Augustus Trell: Mov. 2 dice/ Att. 3/ Def. 5/ Body 4/ Mind 8.
Trell is a Necromancer at the disposal of a wizard's staff and a Heroic Brew. Before the quest, he may choose one set of spells BEFORE the Heroes do and gets the Spirit and Death spell sets.
* Korohm the Roaring: Mov. 2 dice/ Att. 5/ Def. 3/ Body 8/ Mind 2.
Korohm is a champion Berserker who fights with two magical battle axes. He has two attacks every turn and defends by rolling skulls.
* Black Mask: Mov. 2/ Att. 4/ Def. 4/ Body 6/ Mind 4.
Black Mask is a champion Assassin who uses a crossbow and a Potion of Resilience. He owns the artifact Ethereal Cloak, which allows him to pass through walls and obstacles as though he were a wraith. This artifact may not be utilised by any Hero.

The Triumph of Morcar

'My erstwhile students, I am afraid that your exploits brought great calamities over the Empire. I, Mentor, must not tell you where to go and what to do anymore, for you are considered felons to the Empire and mercenaries for the forces of chaos.

'It is with humiliation, that I have heard how you helped dispossessing the Kingdom of Stolland. Yes, it has fallen into the clutches of Morcar. House Trell has served him and become his instruments as have you through your allegiance with them. Augustus Trell's vanity and thirst for power know no equal. His riches sufficed him no more, and the luring susurrus of Morcar corrupted his spirit. Once the Kingdom had tumbled over his conspiracy, his allegiance with the ancient sorcerer was capable of drowning the people of Stolland in blood. Suddenly, the Empire is vulnerable to assaults from the hordes of the South. Thus, the Emperor sent his Champions of Light after you to end your felonies, but you eliminated those sages and warriors without remorse or hesitation. To deprive the Empire of these heroes is the fabric of tragedy for all civilizations of men.

'Yet, I have not given up all hope. I daresay you have merely been puppets on a string in this matter. You may have been blissfully ignorant to the wrongs your baleful choices caused. Indeed, you might not be the heroes the Empire wishes for, but you are the only heroes left for now.

'My erstwhile students, if my suspicions prove right, I plan on helping you end this folly. I shall continue to guide you through the darkness, as only through the darkness your path shall lead. For you are merely Champions of Darkness, of chaos, and of Morcar.'

The Triumph of the Empire

'My highly regarded students, owing to you, the Empire has driven away a menace even more threatening than those before. You are worthwhile Champions of the Empire.

'House Trell, corrupted by ambition, orchestrated a conspiracy against House Galinicus to discredit their bitter rivals. The young heir was merely a puppet on a string in the hands of Augustus Trell. His council, advised by politicians, steered him towards betraying his father as to not end up assassinated like him. Without a rival to the throne, power was in sight, but he did not reckon with your pugnacity, nor your loyalty to the Emperor's jurisdiction. You even dispatched the threat of Morcar's lieutenants. Without them to lead his armies into battle, Morcar cannot break the Empire's Southern borders down.

'Yet, the price weighs heavily on us: the death of Count Galinicus and his sole heir's demise... the marauding and pillaging of the towns of Stolland... The Kingdom of the South must be rebuilt, and it is reserved to its new heroes to show its people the way.

'Already, your exploits are being reported to the Emperor, who is enjoying the adventures of his new Champions of Light. He will compensate each one of you with five hundred gold coins and with peerages of the Kingdom of Stolland.

'From now on, you shall be addressed by "Count" or "Archon of the Kingdom of Stolland". The loyalty you showed the Empire is being shown to you.

'To the Empire! To its Champions!'

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #338 - 07/02/13 at 12:02am

Thanks for setting things up.  I have vacation time coming next week, so I'll get back to it soon.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #339 - 07/13/13 at 6:48am

*cough*

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print