Send Topic Print
Monsterpocalypse (Read 6873 times)
Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Monsterpocalypse
09/06/11 at 11:56pm

So I picked up a bunch of Monsterpocalypse shit from Miniature Market since they were on sale, and was previously interested in the concept.  

So, the game's rules are simple.  After reading the rules, I was pretty confident that we could run a game pretty smoothly.

Then we hit snags; we had units and monsters with a bunch of varying abilities.  Many of the abilities we were using we had no actual reference for because I hadn't bought starter sets with the updated rules.  So we decided to play the games without special abilities, and without building abilities.  Things got easier.

Then my giant monkey started to get pounded hard.  I thought my monster was ill-equipped to fighting my opponent.  So I withdrew from the melee and brought in my smaller units - tanks and such.  A good tactical choice!  So we started going back and forth with my big monkey running away... then I was unimpressed.  We called the game for the night because we were both drunk and tired.

The game sat on the table for a day or so, meanwhile I got more familiar with the rules.  I learned the power attacks, and downloaded some helpful guides to explain what all them little ability icons were.  When we picked up the game again, I explained the stuff I'd learned, and we went forward with unit and monster abilities activated again.  We kept the buildings without their abilities so that the game wouldn't get bogged down, but we kept their hazards in, so when we blew up flammable buildings, they'd go up in flames.

The game took a sharp turn towards awesome.  I was getting drilled by lasers, my monkey was picking up giant robots and slamming them into buildings to maximize damage, rampaging through the streets, demolishing tanks and buildings alike, building up power dice... it was great!

The big problem with the game is not a learning curve but more of a "memorization" curve.  There's tons of abilities to learn, and you'll have several units in your army that have different ones.  But once you get acquainted with them it's much better.

This website in particular:  http://gameknave.com/monpoc/

It has 'cards' of every monster and unit in the game.  I'm thinking that every time we make armies I can compile the images of the monsters and units we're using into a PDf and upload them to access them with our iPhones, then we have easy references to just the units we're using.  The cards not only show all the stats, but also detail all of the abilities each unit has.  

Next game we're planning on using all abilities from the beginning, and using building effects allso, so occupying buildings will have an effect on the game.

So onto the game itself.  Wolf managed to build a large force of units early in the game and occupied many buildings and power zones (which add power to your monster).  I tried to do the same, but when my monkey got assaulted by a mega-form Robot, I withdrew him, and launched a full assault with my rocket monkeys and dinosaur spitter thingies.  My building control was demolished, but I managed to damage the giant robot asshole.

His tanks and flyers countered, beating up a bunch of my monkeys.  Sad day.  This is when we called it a night.

When we next picked up the game, we spent a while figuring out what our monsters and units can do, and I learned that my monkeys' ranged shots exploded and blew up stuff around where they attacked... which would have helped a LOT the last night we played!  Wolf was kinda spread out, so he didn't have a real good unit presence.  Meanwhile I started gathering my forces knowing what they could do, and withdrew my monkey from his reclusiveness.

Tales of Intrigue!

The giants met somewhere in the middle of the map in a grand melee!  Robots were thrown into buildings and burned, monkeys were assaulted upon and smashed into their hyper form.  Dreadful attacks were discovered where multiple power attacks could be performed in a single turn and things started to look grim... for both sides!

The game really came down to the wire, where the last couple of attacks could mean the game.  I employed a hit-and-run tactic, smashing my opponent into a towering inferno then running away in a rampage, but with only one health left.  My opponent rushed at me attempting a devastating finishing move, but the Lords of the Dice were not with him!  His death blow whiffed, allowing my monkey to make a devastating attack against him, ending the game.

From the beginning I thought I was going to lose due to my base stats being lower than the robot's, taking a bunch of damage early, and the worst die rolls in history (I couldn't gain power dice for the life of me), but a stroke of good luck outweighed my bad luck in the beginning.

Overall it was a fun game, and I'm looking forward to playing again.  I wish the game wasn't blind-purchase, but if you buy the DMZ boxes you get a full army and you know what you're getting... a good deal, really.

I highly recommend this game - it's easy to get into (when you have the right tools), plays fast, and is tons of fun.  Get it!  Miniature Market is having a huge sale on it!

http://www.miniaturemarket.com

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Re: Monsterpocalypse
Reply #1 - 09/06/11 at 11:57pm

Ha, shit, looks like their sale just ended.

Buy it anyway!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - 09/07/11 at 7:43am

I keep being tempted by this.

Is it a game I could play with the missus? (fairly simple pick up and play?), I have enough "Boys-toys" games.

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #3 - 09/07/11 at 12:29pm

I think so. When one person is familiar enough with the rules e erythi g should go fairly smoothly. The various abilities are pretty confusing at first, but if you print out the cards and have only the relevant ones in front of you, it should really lessen the blow.

If you take care of all the building abilities, all it will be for her is wanton destruction.

And I know girls are more tempted to play if there are girl figures they can use. There are two DMZ sets (which come with a full, non-random army each) that feature girl monsters. GUARD, which are the giant robots like Mazinger and the like, have a girl, and the Shadow Sun Syndicate, which are like Ultra Man, have one too.

I'd recommend a small game at first. Don't use every available space for the buildings. Use maybe four or six. Don't use your full 15 support units - maybe limit it to like four of one kind of tank and four of one kind of flyer. This will ensure that you don't have to keep track of dozens of abilities.

I think that was our biggest mistake, starting out with too much junk.  We went full support units and filled up every possible space for the buildings.

My last tip would be to type up quick descriptions of each of the Power attacks so that you guys can quickly understand which ones do what. We kept getting them confused.

Oh and let her win the first game.  Wink  Grin

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #4 - 09/07/11 at 12:41pm

Here's pics of all the units and monsters that come in the DMZ sets:

http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/dmz-figures

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

ROCKET CAR!

Reply #5 - 09/08/11 at 3:09am

Biff wrote on 09/07/11 at 12:29pm:

Oh and let her win the first game.  Wink  Grin

Im rubbish at letting her win Sad

Somehow during a game of "Disney Trivial pursuit" which I wasn't losing too horrendously (3 cheeses!) I lost my temper and ended the game. She had been dancing around the final square for half an hour and i'd had enough, so when she finally landed on it, and blatantly couldn't answer the question, I whispered the answer and walked off.

What was supposed to be a "brownie point scoring exercise" turned into a regret I shall be reminded of for the next six months.

Fucking Disney trivial pursuit ! D'oh

How big does the board set up to?

I may try and get an ebay set to try it out. Thanks for the review.

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #6 - 09/08/11 at 9:24am

The map poster thingies (board) are 24"x30".  It kinda sucks that they come all folded up, because then the thing doesn't lay down flat.  I'm tempted to iron them out and put them in a poster tube thingy.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

ROCKET CAR!

Reply #7 - 09/08/11 at 2:48pm

I assumed it was a cardboard board, like HQ

shame

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #8 - 09/08/11 at 6:09pm

Nope, they're double-sided posters.  It's really not much of a big deal.  We didn't really have any problems with it, other than feeling a little "cheap".  But it's understandable, since there's a lot of different maps.  I think I have at least 10 double-sided maps right now.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

ROCKET CAR!

Reply #9 - 09/09/11 at 5:00am

Well your a graphic design kind of guy, im sure you can knock up something a little less cheap?

Its a shame they are double sided, it would have been simple enough to mount them on cardboard.

24" x 30" thats a pretty big !

Definatley interested in this.

Ta

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #10 - 09/09/11 at 9:48am

Well no, the graphics themselves aren't cheap, it's just that playing on a folded poster that had places to keep your extra units and stuff, it reminded me of those Pokemon card game mats.  It's just a personal thing.  It turns out those "wells" are really useful.

As far as mounting, I read about some people using these to put their maps in.  I don't know how many it'll hold at once, though, but it might be the right step in making them more sturdy.

As for the board size, the actual play area is 17x17 squares (not sure if they're an inch or not; probably slightly larger).

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print