Send Topic Print
LEGO Heroica! (Read 19695 times)
Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
LEGO Heroica!
07/05/11 at 12:35pm

No pictures or anything to share just yet, but if you haven't heard of it, it's a very simple dungeon crawler from LEGO.

http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

My bro picked this up yesterday, and we played four games of it.  The rules are extremely simple.  The six sided dice works for both combat and moving.  Each side has a number (1, 2, or 3) of pips, and also a picture of a skull, a sword, and one with both.  One side is a shield, which allows you to move 4 spaces or make a special attack.

You choose from one of four heroes; the knight, the wizard, the barbarian, and the druid.  These are just the ones from the main set, Castle Fortaan.  The other expansion sets have a couple other heroes as well as new monsters.  Each hero has a special ability he can use if he rolls a shield.  For example, the Barbarian has a whirlwind move that defeats all adjacent monsters.

On your turn you roll the die and move that many spaces.  If you land next to a monster, you have to fight it.  Roll again, if you roll a skull, you get hit and knocked back.  Roll a sword and you defeat the monster.  Roll the sword and skull and you defeat the monster, but you get hurt and knocked back.

Along your way you'll find potions, keys, gold, and chests.  Gold is used to buy weapons from the store.  Each weapon sort of mimics another hero's special move.  For instance, if you're carrying the axe and roll a shield, you can defeat all adjacent monsters, like the barbarian.  However, most of the other weapons give you a weaker version of the powers (Knight:  Move two spaces and defeat a monster.  Sword:  Move one space and defeat a monster).

Keys are obviously there to move past doors.  If you don't have a key, you can try busting it open by rolling a shield at the beginning of your turn.  Potions allow you to reroll dice, heal up, stuff like that.

When a hero is defeated, he has to lay down and rest.  Each turn you get to roll a die and see how many health points you've recovered.  Once you recover all 4 (or all 5 if you have the helmet) you're back up and you can start playing again next turn.  Sounds like it sucks, but turns go by so fast that you barely notice it.

The object of the game is to reach a certain space on the (modular, obviously) board.  The players scramble through the dungeon trying to pick up gold to buy weapons, potions to help them along, and finally get to the last room.  All heroes are equally capable in combat, so all the heroes will tend to jump on monsters unless they're low on health.

We had so much fun that we started making up our own rules and such.  We added a cap that mimicked the helmet's effect (+1 health), added a shield that lets you reduce damage you take by 1 (minimum 1), added a White Knight hero (from the Lava Dragon LEGO game) who defeats a monster and gains back one health when he rolls a shield, and we even made three new rooms.  If you own any of the other LEGO games, it's easy to just pluck out a new character (like the knights, or the pirates) and throw them into play.  We grabbed the mummies from Ramses' Pyramid as well.

The game comes with a simple Campaign system; whoever had the most kills gets a gold piece, and you get to keep anything your hero had (except keys) for the next game.

It also comes with rules for the game to be played with a game master - in the normal game, the monsters don't move at all.  I haven't read the entire rules for that though (it's like a paragraph).

All in all, we had tons of fun.  We played with my 7 year old boy, and he liked it, but he has trouble keeping his concentration on one thing (especially when he wants to play Little Big Planet 2!), but he did manage to sit through all four games we played.  My dad even joined in at one point - we stuck him into the middle of our last game.

I can't wait to grab up the next three expansions and put them all together for one huge dungeon.  I'm also planning on buying extras of the sets so that we can make lots of new rooms.  Alternately, you can buy the board spaces directly from LEGO and the room plates as well.  The board spaces only come in one color, though, but that doesn't affect the game at all, just the looks of it.  3 bucks for 20 spaces, and the room plates (6x6 flat bricks) are only 50 cents apiece.

I highly recommend picking this up.  It's good fun for all ages, because you can play pretty competitively.  It's also great for introducing young ones to dungeon crawlers.

I love how many possibilities there are for building new rooms and themes and stuff.  We have a ton of LEGO laying around, so I have no doubt we'll be having fun with this for a long time.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

LordChaosX
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Council Bluffs, IA, Iowa, USA
Re: LEGO Heroica!
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 6:21pm

Wow, this is an awesome find Biff.  Had to further look into it and it maybe something I have to pick up now.  More links here for the individual products with more up close pictures:

Castle Fortaan: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3860&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Caverns of Nathuz: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3859&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Waldurk Forest: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3858&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Draida Bay: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3857&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 6:29pm

When did lego men lose their arms...

poor lego men...

IP Logged

LordChaosX
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #3 - 07/05/11 at 6:36pm

Nope, the regular figures still have their arms.

The microfigs for the games, now those are the poor armless bastards.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #4 - 07/05/11 at 7:47pm

Actually, when I was a kid I had this lego figure that wasn't anything like the figures we know now.  It had a separate torso and legs, but the legs were a single piece that looked like a basic 1x2 brick but with indents on the sides to make it sort of look like feet, and the torso was also a single piece, with a regular bump instead of a long neck onto which to affix the head, and it had the arms tucked in like the hands were in its pockets or something.  Exactly like these little dudes.

So the real question is:  When did LEGO men ACQUIRE arms?

I have no idea where the figure came from or how it was passed onto me, and it had no head so I can't tell you what that was like.  Just thought I'd share.

But anyway, yeah, it was an awesome game to play, and my nephew actually just, out of his own volition, asked if we could play "that LEGO game again."

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 10:10pm

LordChaosX wrote on 07/05/11 at 6:21pm:
Wow, this is an awesome find Biff.  Had to further look into it and it maybe something I have to pick up now.  More links here for the individual products with more up close pictures:

Castle Fortaan: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3860&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Caverns of Nathuz: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3859&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Waldurk Forest: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3858&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Draida Bay: http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=3857&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

Absolutely check it out. It's great to play with kids, and fun to play with other adults because it's so light and the competition can get fierce. And seriously... Who doesn't like to play with LEGO?!  The rules are so simple that it's easy to adapt new rules that fit the flavor of the original ones. Hell I'm going to buy other Lego games just for the microfigs so that I can introduce new characters to the game. I'm like all about Heroica right now. Grin

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - 07/06/11 at 1:14am

Rules are simple, this looks really fun!

But why cant they be regular sized lego men??

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #7 - 07/06/11 at 9:41am

Probably because you'd have to have a lot more LEGO bricks to make the dungeon and stuff, and then a $25 set becomes $80.

I like the little guys anyway, they're pretty cool.  Only drawback is that they have no hands to hold stuff with.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #8 - 07/06/11 at 10:03am

So we had another game last night.  My boy put the dungeon together with a bit of help from us.  We used the same characters from the night before.

He decided that the Goblin King was going to be in the game, as well as the dragon that we made.  Wolf and my boy took a straight path to the dragon, while I went for the Goblin King.  I somehow managed to destroy everything in my path, but I took a few hits and had 1 health left when I met up with the Goblin King.  I roll the die to move, and I get a shield, meaning that I could use my druid staff to heal up 2 health, but I was like screw that!  I charged at the Goblin King and messed him up hard.

Meanwhile, Wolf and my boy are battling through the corridors, and have finally gotten to the dragon.  They repeatedly climb his mountain and get knocked off (his special rule is that you can only kill him with a shield, and he knocks you down off the mountain if you don't kill him).  While they're doing that, I'm trying to rush back to join in the action.  But, Wolf managed to kill the dragon just when I'd gotten to the base of the mountain!  Foiled again!

It was good fun, and my boy payed closer attention this time.  I ended up winning the game due to racking up 7 kills on my own.

I'm gonna try to make this game a nightly thing.  It's so easy to put together and so quick to play.

I think Wolf took a pic of the dungeon last night, I'll ask him to post it.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

LordChaosX
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #9 - 07/06/11 at 3:36pm

And doing it with regular minifigs would be something more like BrickQuest: http://gunth.com/brickquest/

And to Wolf, inquiring about minifigs and their arms, a little history to hopefully clear some things up and answer some questions: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Minifig

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #10 - 07/06/11 at 4:38pm

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing that.  I've always wondered about that thing.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #11 - 07/06/11 at 10:39pm

Wow, what a trip to look at those old school mini figures.  And that article is a smidgeon wrong.  It said that the lego pirates from 1989 were the first with different facial expressions.  What they meant was that they were the first with different paint applications (beards, stubble, mustaches, etc.)  The actual expressions remained the same.  All the figures had two dots for eyes (except for the Blackbeard figure) and the same smiley mouth (except for the woman, who had a lipstick mouth).  (Okay, so the woman can probably be said to have a different expression.  Sue me.)  (And so what if I'm being nitpicky.  Sue me again.)

Thanks for that link!

The Administrator.
IP Logged

LordChaosX
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #12 - 07/10/11 at 5:00pm

Picked up my own copy of the Castle Fortaan and put it together with my son last night.  Played a game and it was fun, though was tough at times trying to get a 5 year old to follow the rules.  Smiley

Neat little setups and it could be so easy to make it into a Mini-HeroQuest style game or something of the like.  I was so impressed that I had to go out and buy the other three that are out as well.

I can see them expanding on this, and they should.  Maybe that way I could make a Mini-HeroQuest game.  Grin

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #13 - 07/11/11 at 9:42am

Yeah we bought the other three expansions over the weekend (along with the Ninjago and Minotaurus games to get Spartans, Ninjas, a Minotaur, and skeletons into the game!) plus a second copy of the Castle Fortaan set to make our own tiles with.

I'm right there with you with trying to get kids to play by the rules.  Two years ago my son would never try to play by rules (well, maybe with a lot of persuasion).

Last night on a whim we decided to play the Draida game since it was so tiny.  We blew through it in minutes, and decided to play the forest expansion.  The magical doors in that one are fun and add a bit of competitive strategy to the game.  Afterwards we started on the other expansion with the golems.

We ended up playing with my dad, who never plays games like this.  It was pretty cool, though my son ended up playing Little Big Planet 2 instead.  Grin

Wolf is always talking about needing to make tiles that are HeroQuest-related.  We just need to make a Gargoyle, bookshelves, and a rack and we might be ready to go!  Grin

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #14 - 07/11/11 at 2:27pm

And a tomb.  Don't forget the tomb.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #15 - 07/11/11 at 2:35pm

We'll need a second statue microfigure!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #16 - 07/12/11 at 12:57am

How would we embed it into another lego piece?  I sense shenanigans about to start.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #17 - 07/12/11 at 12:58am

Oh, just thought of something really awesome.  The rotating room in the Kellar's Keep expansion... how about that in real LEGO, and it actually rotates?  Huh?  Huh?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #18 - 07/12/11 at 9:28am

Dude are you serious?  I told you one of the first custom rooms I wanted to make was a rotating room with one of them flat 2x2 rotating pieces at the base.

GREAT IDEA, MAN.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #19 - 07/12/11 at 12:13pm

Great idea, Jemaine.  And Bret.

The Administrator.
IP Logged