Advanced HeroQuest (Read 62883 times)
Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Re: Advanced HeroQuest
Reply #20 - 05/14/11 at 3:13pm

A playtester! A playtester! My kingdom for a playtester!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - 05/14/11 at 3:46pm

Heroquestelf wrote on 05/14/11 at 3:13pm:
A playtester! A playtester! My kingdom for a playtester!

Don't blame you, the play-test was a LOT of fun, even if we had to make a few tweaks as we went.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #23 - 05/15/11 at 11:05am

More play-testing today, as I still can't walk.

One minor problem found, so henceforth the best "to--hit" roll in melee will be a 3.

Further, the first two range bands will be changed to 2-4 and 5-12, so you can't point-blank people with ranged weapons, making melee weapons more necessary.

I've tried giving the sword an extra pip of critical hit range, which seems to work well.

IP Logged

The golden lion
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #24 - 05/15/11 at 6:16pm

Man, I love Advanced HQ; think I might have to run a game at roletohit.com  ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGlasses

IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - 05/17/11 at 1:34am

Hey Slev,

Were you in a car accident? or was it carpet burns ?  Wink

I dont like "Sartosan fire" Sartosa is supposed to be a pirate island, I would go with another Tilean city like "Tobaro".

I know fluff is prolly the least of your concerns. but thought i would chime in.

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #26 - 05/17/11 at 2:02am

What happened to me was this: my knee locked in place, bent, would not move and it was agony I've not felt since having my jaw broken. I've so far had four trips to hospital (one in a ambulance after they used four shots of Morphine to get me into the wheelchair), quite a lot of absurdly strong painkillers (e.g. Tramadol), and am generally messed-up. Just been given a very long sick-note, and I'm having to try and sell my Rush ticket as I can't attend the gig.

As for "sartosan" fire. I was looking at something Tilian, then it struck me the Greeks used Greek Fire in naval engagements, so it was more suited to Sartosa as the pirate isle.

It could theretically be appropreate to anywhere, I just wanted to change it to match the Warhammer World.

IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - 05/17/11 at 10:45am

fairs dos,

Sorry to hear about your knee bud. it made me winch just reading about it. I hope the road to health wont be too long!

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #28 - 05/17/11 at 11:42am

You and me both. I'm *not* impressed at this three week sick-note. A Lot of my job I can do just *sat* there. As is, I'm just *sat* here. As long as they make allowances for such things, I don't see the difference myself.

IP Logged

The golden lion
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #29 - 05/17/11 at 5:45pm

Slev, having a knee problem is a bad thing - hd 2 operations on my left knee before we decided the knee had to be replaced. Hopefully , yours will take to the healing process quickly.  ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGlasses

IP Logged

HeroQuestFrance
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #30 - 05/23/11 at 7:57am

Loretome will keep you alive.

IP Logged

Ivan
I AM NOT HERBERT!

.de, Germany
Reply #31 - 05/25/11 at 1:56pm

Dang, I just downloaded ur stuff, its hot and it is as if you almoste knew, I was/am working on some AHQ fixes on my own. You saved me a lot of work Slev. Thank you man!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #32 - 05/26/11 at 12:58am

NP, glad you like it.
I've since made a few tweaks to the "expansion" volume:
Duellist can use Pistol;
Soldier can use Handgun
Gunner gets Critical hits on 12's with pistols & Handguns.
Sorcerers don't loose a Wound to make a Focussing roll.

I also changed what Treasure Maps do, making them useful without GM effort, and put them back into chests on a "2". I'll post the list when I remember.

I've been working on this while I've been off work & house-bound. I OCR'ed the rule books, tweaked and updated them.

All for my own personal use of course, I couldn't possibly share finished work later on with people who message me email addresses.

IP Logged

HeroQuestFrance
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - 08/16/11 at 7:56am

Eu a question :

how many white dwarf magazines are talking about Advanced HeroQuest ?
Which numbers ?
Any additional quests ?

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #34 - 08/21/11 at 3:55am

WD121: New Traps, New Hazards, Jade Spell Book, Quest
WD122: Quest
WD125: Amethyst Spell Book, Quest
WD134: Quest, a few new monsters
WD138: Henchmen*
WD139: Treasure*, Light Spell Book*
WD149: Quest
WD150: Quest, a few new monsters
WD159: Quest, New Traps, New Hazards, a few new monsters

*Re-Printed in Terror in the Dark

IP Logged

HeroQuestFrance
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - 08/21/11 at 4:49am

Thank you very much !

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #36 - 02/19/12 at 9:48am

Had another, very fun play-test of this. Still a few balance tweaks needed, but it's pretty much there.

After completing one Quest, the party have two(!) magic weapons between them, plus a few trinkets, and the non-wizards have a couple of stat boosts each, while the Wizard has an extra spell.

I did come up with a list of Skills to give non-wizards something to spend their gold on, none have been taken yet.

The diversity of the new hero design system has been proven and everything seems ballenced. As an example, Paul's archer (using Marksman) is a better shot and hots more often for more damage. Laura's archer (using Sharpshooter) however, can fire and move and gets more crits in, even of she hits less often.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #37 - 02/19/12 at 9:49am

Had another, very fun play-test of this. Still a few balance tweaks needed, but it's pretty much there.

After completing one Quest, the party have two(!) magic weapons between them, plus a few trinkets, and the non-wizards have a couple of stat boosts each, while the Wizard has an extra spell.

I did come up with a list of Skills to give non-wizards something to spend their gold on, none have been taken yet.

The diversity of the new hero design system has been proven and everything seems balanced. As an example, Paul's archer (using Marksman) is a better shot and hots more often for more damage. Laura's archer (using Sharpshooter) however, can fire and move and gets more crits in, even of she hits less often.

IP Logged

Ampersand
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I LOVE SKULLS

uk, United Kingdom
Reply #38 - 02/22/12 at 7:21am

ive had a quick look over this. looks pretty good. im impressed how youve tried to tackle the flaws in the game mechanics head on. creating balance where needed.
your spot on in terms of character creation, you either had good or bad depending on a roll of a dice. and definately needed addresing very much like the biggest flaw. with the blocking of a doorway.
i have a few questions as ive not had any chance to play test any of this yet (everything is in bits due to customizing schemes Smiley

training
only being able to train an extra 2 points. was there a reason behind this? i agree on doubling the points cost. but doesnt the 2 point thing limit the character development? but would it not allow more flexibility in just doubling the cost of each further point ontop of the base? 200,400,800 and so on? or does this imbalance the character and the additional advancment with paths?

General
diagonal movement allowed?
is this to allow digonal movements to prevent door blocking incase 2 characters hole up the 2 space wide doors?

Combat
again allowing diagonal attacking and in turn the extended reach of polearms. is this also to help battle the door blocking tactic?

Herocreation
would it not be easier to just give a starting stat base for what race has been chosen? rather than have a seperate base and then a seperate race. wouldnt it be easier to just go with human stats/dwarf and elf, would also save you a slot on your character sheet?

how do you advance in paths? i may of missed that out  Undecided

i apologise for any errors i may of put in there. as i say ive not play tested and only given a read over. but look forwards to giving it a try out

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #39 - 02/22/12 at 10:30am

Training: The two point limit prevents an "easy" maxing-out and keeps the relative strengths and weaknesses of characters locked down from the start. Otherwise, it becomes easy to get around the limits of the path system, or any generation system for that matter.

General: Diagonal movement speeds up combat and limits door blocking. It now takes four to block a door completely.

Combat: The changes remove the door blocking tactic almost entirely, and further allow more tactical options in a corridor, especially with pole-armed and bow-armed monsters.

Hero Creation:
I originally did just have three separate races, but realised a lot of material over-lapped, and this opened up more dependencies in the path tree.

You can't advance in paths as such.. I did add a number of skills, giving non-wizards something other than stat boosts to train in. The most expensive skill (10k) is the one that gives you one extra path. Others give bonus abilities, weapon allowances, etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print