From A Time of Darkness Heroes Arise    
  9 (90.0%)
The Rescue of the Elf Prince    
  1 (10.0%)

Total votes: 10
« Last Modified by: Wolf on: 12/14/10 at 8:07pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Introduction Quest Contest (Read 15487 times)
Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Introduction Quest Contest
12/13/10 at 1:53pm

At long last!  The contest continues...

I present to you all of the entries to the Introduction Quest contest, brought to you by Ogre, Pop Tarts, and Stephen Baker.

All eligible members of the forum can now vote* for their favorite entry for the contest.  The pdf files are linked below.  Download them, judge them, play them if you wish, and come back to this thread to vote*.

http://www.fenyar.com/oldscratch/darkness.pdf

http://www.fenyar.com/oldscratch/rescue.pdf

*VOTING WILL BE CLOSED ON DECEMBER 23rd, 2010.
« Last Edit: 12/15/10 at 6:42pm by Wolf »  

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Re: Introduction Quest Contest
Reply #1 - 12/13/10 at 2:20pm

MMMM POP TARTS!

IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - 12/13/10 at 3:38pm

These are both excellent quests, it was difficult to choose a favourite.

Im gutted I didn't get mine finished started.

We should make this a regular thing.

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reply #3 - 12/13/10 at 4:17pm

I will have to vote for Darkness.

As a general critique.
Darkness: Nice and simple, my only issue with it is that the dwarf and elf start with no equipment.  If this is to replace the intro quest it seems a little unfair.  Perhaps it could do with one or two more traps.

Rescue: Just the shear size of this I think negates the warrant to vote for this as the intro quest.  While it is creative in its use of searches, secret doors, and overlay tiles, it fails for all these reasons as well.  If this was not an intro quest it would be excellent.

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Saskatoon, Canada, canada, 179, 351, SK, Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reply #4 - 12/13/10 at 11:18pm

I'll abstain from voting.

Raven The Scythe wrote on 12/13/10 at 4:17pm:
As a general critique.
Darkness: If this is to replace the intro quest it seems a little unfair.

At least they do get their stuff back right away... but yes, it will be a tougher fight for them with the Orc and Goblin there.  Sounds like there'd also be a good chance that the Elf would blow through some of his starting Spells in that room if they're getting bad rolls too.

Raven The Scythe wrote on 12/13/10 at 4:17pm:
Perhaps it could do with one or two more traps.

For the traps, maybe one or two more would be good, but this is still two more traps than the one it replaces, and they're early-on in the Quest so that hopefully a total noob that doesn't get the importance of looking for traps just has to eat the damage from a Spear trap early on to learn the lesson without losing a Hero in the process Wink

And what about that rescue one... I like the sliding Tomb bit.  Hmmm... an old trick of mine in my expansions Wink
~N

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Ivan
I AM NOT HERBERT!

.de, Germany
Reply #5 - 12/14/10 at 10:56am

I like both adventures, but unfortunately we can only vote for one, am I right? Therfore my choice goes for "Rescue".

No matter what, I will also play thru "Darkness". Win-Win for me Wink

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/14/10 at 5:37pm

I think in the future votes shouldn't be hidden, it would be exciting to watch it as it progresses  Cheesy

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #7 - 12/14/10 at 5:52pm

I didn't want it to influence the vote.  Do you want me to change it to make it publicly viewable?

Should I make another poll to see if people want the results of the poll to be visible or not?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Black_Drazon
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - 12/14/10 at 7:08pm

I don't like Darkness' split the party idea, which is completely antithetical to the introduction idea, as is removing the Heroes' equipment, but at least the flaws end with the death of the Orc and Goblin.  Rescue is otherwise too busy and too full of special rules.  Multiple specially stated monsters?  An artifact?  Tunnels?  No, no, no, they're still getting used to the game!

I dislike that both are essentially one way dungeons with branching paths (compare to The Trial which emphasizes teaching the players about exploration) but do like that they both included traps.  I don't really like that Rescue places Pit Traps in corridors, but only for subjective reasons (seen too many new players wiped out by unlucky dice rolls trying to jump over pits - it's sad to see them lose interest because the dice hate them!) so I wouldn't hold that against it.  Rescue has a hidden strength in its use of Undead - it shows the variety available in Hero Quest much better than Darkness' fake Gargoyle and one Chaos Warrior.

Ultimately I have to agree with Relexx.  Rescue's one-way dungeon design means that it's just too big and it's already too complicated: it takes a dungeon the size of The Trial but makes most of it mandatory.  It's just not intro enough to be a real intro quest.  My vote has to go to Darkness for better sticking to the theme as I understand it.

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/14/10 at 7:38pm

Yeah, in some ways Darkness seems more like an interesting flash back quest than an intro, it still got my vote though.

Wink

I think since most people are saying there votes anyway it doesn't really matter...

in fact..

none of this matters.

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reply #10 - 12/15/10 at 5:04pm

Nicodemus wrote on 12/13/10 at 11:18pm:
And what about that rescue one... I like the sliding Tomb bit.

I actually thought that was quite clever.

IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #11 - 12/16/10 at 11:25pm

Raven The Scythe wrote on 12/15/10 at 5:04pm:

Yeah I used it in a lot of my Quests Wink

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - 12/17/10 at 6:15am

Nicodemus wrote on 12/16/10 at 11:25pm:
Raven The Scythe wrote on 12/15/10 at 5:04pm:

Yeah I used it in a lot of my Quests Wink

And in your secret, Austrian, incest, sex cellar !

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Roberious-1
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Calgary, Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Reply #13 - 12/17/10 at 5:23pm

I will dig through my home made quests which I did back in 1991 and 92 when I first starting playing the game and maybe enter the contest next time. I also did a ten quest campaign.
As for voting on these two, hard decision, I need a bit more time but will respond.

IP Logged

john
ROCKET CAR!

I Love games !!

Henderson, North Carolina, USA
Reply #14 - 12/18/10 at 9:14pm

I vote darkness ! No offense to the other but I just like darkness a little better ! ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGlasses

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #15 - 12/24/10 at 2:47pm

And the winner is...

From a Time of Darkness Heroes Arise!

Congratulations, Nicodemus.  You are triumphant!  Get in touch with Ogre through PM to bang out the details of the prize.

Props to all of our contestants.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Nicodemus
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

Do you HQ?

Reply #16 - 12/24/10 at 7:29pm

Wow, thanks everyone!  I know the starting of the Dwarf & Elf without equipment was a big break from tradition. I wanted to shake things up a bit for a new 1st Quest... maybe it was a bit too much. And I was quite correctly put in my place for not clarifying the rules / #Attack Dice when fighting without weapons.

I still wanted to have the narrative start differently from the original game, basically bringing the Heroes together. In hind sight I could have just written it in that the Dwarf & Elf had just defeated their captors and gotten their stuff back.  My other idea had been to start everyone in a separate section and essentially meet up early on and then unite to battle a foe. For that one I was also going to have the Elf and Wizard start with fewer spells and then have them gain the rest part way through (not sure how I was going to do that) and also have the other heroes acquire their starting weapons early on as well.

This all reminds me of my "New Quests" pack that I started ~6+ years ago. I've still got a boat load of maps and some text some place. I was basically going to put out a new set of Quests for starting out adventurers to replace the core game ones... I just never got around to it Tongue

~N

-Ash, Army of Darkness
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #17 - 12/24/10 at 8:40pm

I don't think it detracted from it at all to have the heroes start in separate areas.  I was going to do the same thing (well, different heroes starting together, anyway) in my 1st quest as well.  The UK version does start with each hero completely alone, after all, so two pairs of heroes is a good compromise between the US and UK version.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Roberious-1
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Calgary, Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Reply #18 - 12/27/10 at 11:29am

Cool, way to go Nic, look forward to more quests.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print