Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/20/19 at 7:52pm
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Idea to make the wizard suck less while not changing the game (Read 35407 times)
Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Re: Idea to make the wizard suck less while not changing the game
Reply #60 - 10/01/12 at 3:07pm

Yeah... rolling under 8 on a d6 isn't that difficult to do.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 10/02/12 at 8:32pm

wouldn't be an 8, but the point remains the same.

IP Logged

Toco
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #62 - 11/07/12 at 12:29am

A hero miniature with 9 spell cards or more (like the wizard) can use this revised spellcasting method.

All his available spell cards are on the table before the player, face up.

The hero can move and perform one action:
- Attack
- Search (treasures, secret doors, traps)
- Cast 1 spell (casting the spell flips the card upside down)

OR skip his turn (no movement or other actions):
- Remember 1 cast spell (flip the card face up, ready for reuse again)

Miniatures BLOG: www.tocoking.be/blog

Warhammer, Epic 40K, Necromunda, HeroQuest ...
IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Reply #63 - 11/07/12 at 2:48am

Any spell or the last one cast?
Any way you play it it 's a useful idea.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #64 - 11/08/12 at 1:28am

Any spell.

e.g. All 9 cards could be "tapped" (rotated 45 degrees). And then the wizard spends 7 turns to untap 7 of them them. He can then reuse any of those 7...

I'm not going to use this rule myself, but I think it fits perfectly into the original game without adding new items like charts, stickers, ...

IP Logged

Daedalus
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

WTF?!

Tainan City, Taiwan
Reply #65 - 11/08/12 at 8:39am

@ Toco-

Nice and simple.  I like the freedom from other player aides--it passes the Wolf test.

I think this idea fits the every-man-for-himself EU style of play better than the don't-split-up US style.  Other Heroes can individually achieve more in the EU system, thus applying a smallish time-cost against recharging/remembering a spell. As the other Heroes slay monsters and empty rooms and corridors of treasure more quickly, the Wizard loses out a bit.  

Because there is no penalty for taking extra turns to remember spells, I think a group of stick-together US Heroes would simply all wait for the Wizard to recharge before continuing.  Some EU groups would no doubt do the same. This would have the negative impact of slowing the game down and essentially allow unlimited spell use.  I think this would overpower the Wizard, not to mention the other Heroes who could constantly be healed to maximum Body Points.

Combined with a Morcar/Zargon threat system of some sort similar to what you use in Allied Heroquest, this idea better balances as a dynamic spell system.  If taking extra time benefits the evil wizard player in some way, then deciding to remember a spell or not has tactical value.

Without such a counterbalance, I'd suggest a modification of this simple recasting method--limit remembering a spell to one instance.  Rather than flipping a card upright back to its original position when remembering a spell, instead place it turned to the right to mark it as cast once.  After casting the turned card for the second time, discard the spell.  The Wizard's spell power is doubled and unlimited spell-abuse is avoided.

IP Logged

Toco

Don't save Ragnar!

Middle, Belgium
Reply #66 - 11/09/12 at 6:09am

Your analysis is very good. Well done. I agree completely and see the "overpowered" rule I designed. That's what happens when no playtesting is done Smiley Thanks.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #67 - 11/14/12 at 10:45pm

You had the right spirit, and it did pass what will heretofore be known as "the Wolf test."

But Daedalus brought up the same point I was going to make regarding cooperative players that would rather wait for a full recharge of spells before every room unless otherwise presented with some sort of consequence for dilly-dallying.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

maleficient
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #68 - 11/15/12 at 6:23am

Ok, so each time they rest in a room or corridor to recover one spell, make them assaulted by a wandering monster, which attacks a hero at random. If wizard is attacked, spell is not recovered.

If they want to retrieve a second spell in the same room, make it 2 wandering monsters, and so on.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #69 - 11/15/12 at 8:25am

Danger cards or Encounter cards or Fate cards or Threat markers...
There are many games with many ideas to accomodate for the Wolf-tested rule.

IP Logged

gootchute
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #70 - 11/20/12 at 12:31pm

Wolf wrote on 10/01/12 at 3:07pm:
Yeah... rolling under 8 on a d6 isn't that difficult to do.

I think I meant to say roll under MP on 2D6 before, sorry for the confusion.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #71 - 11/25/12 at 5:38am

This could work well with a certain time-reassure/keep the EWP interested mechanism I've been tinkering with for some time...

IP Logged

HydroSqueegee
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I Love Biff!

Ohio, Ohio, USA
Reply #72 - 01/30/13 at 11:10am

ive always been keen on burning a mind point to retain a spell after casting.  keep in mind ive never tested this as my play time over the past 20 years has been limited.

IP Logged

Sotiris
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Winter is coming..

Reply #73 - 02/08/13 at 7:31am

I think that the wizard needs a permanent skill (like dwarf's disarm trap). My idea is an "absorb power'' skill and every use of this skill is an action.
So, the wizard and the visible monster (no bosses of course) roll a mind test. If he scores more sculls, he gets the monster's card and he can use one of the monster's stats in a future round (Attack, Defence or Movement). When the wizard uses a stat, then the card returns to the deck. He can hold as many cards as his current mind points.
Against undead: because of the magic that summons them, the skill is harder to success. The wizard (again with his mind dice) has to score more black shields than the monster's full body points. That's it.

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Reply #74 - 02/08/13 at 10:48am

Another idea:
I made a new Wizard's Staff for him to buy.
2 AD, including diagonal (two-handed, of course).
Plus it can shoot fireballs in a ranged attack (only 1 AD, though, cause else it's too powerful.

IP Logged

Teldurn
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Thufferin' thuccotash!

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reply #75 - 10/11/13 at 8:06am

After reading this whole thread, I wonder if this suggestion could work better. And perhaps pass the Wolf test.

Every time the Wizard or Elf casts a spell, he has the option of trying to keep it. If he decides to try to keep the spell, he rolls 1d6. If the result is equal to or less than the number of cards of that spell type remaining in his hand, he keeps the card. If the result is greater, the caster loses the card and a wandering monster appears and immediately attacks. The Hero can defend as normal. The number of wandering monsters that appear are equal to the number of discarded spells from that spell type.

So for example, say the Elf is down to his last spell and he tries to keep it. He'd need to roll 1 on 1d6 to keep it. But he rolls, say, a 4. Not only is the spell lost, but 2 wandering monsters appear and attack.

If the wandering monster for that quest is "2 goblins," then 4 goblins suddenly appear.

IP Logged

Wasaia
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #76 - 09/17/14 at 3:23pm

Sotiris wrote on 02/08/13 at 7:31am:
I think that the wizard needs a permanent skill (like dwarf's disarm trap). My idea is an "absorb power'' skill and every use of this skill is an action.
So, the wizard and the visible monster (no bosses of course) roll a mind test. If he scores more sculls, he gets the monster's card and he can use one of the monster's stats in a future round (Attack, Defence or Movement). When the wizard uses a stat, then the card returns to the deck. He can hold as many cards as his current mind points.
Against undead: because of the magic that summons them, the skill is harder to success. The wizard (again with his mind dice) has to score more black shields than the monster's full body points. That's it.

I like this very much. Will try it in a Quest I'm making.

IP Logged

Sotiris
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Winter is coming..

Reply #77 - 10/03/14 at 8:42am

Wasaia wrote on 09/17/14 at 3:23pm:
Sotiris wrote on 02/08/13 at 7:31am:

I like this very much. Will try it in a Quest I'm making.

Nice! Did you try him?

IP Logged

juster
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #78 - 11/07/14 at 5:20am

One way to make the Wizard suck less is to use mind points for something, since he has plenty of those.
Details here: http://www.fclarke.com/2014/11/heroquest-2-mind-points.html

Also new character cards, spells and standups.

IP Logged

sorcerersapprentice
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Something Wicked This
Way Comes

Reply #79 - 08/16/15 at 7:14am

Even in the world of the practicable occult there exists a preconception that a Wizard (Sorcerer/Magician) is somehow weak in physical prowess or ability to engage in hand-to-hand combat perhaps due to the also prevailing concept that in order to learn magic s/he had to spend years poring over books and scrolls and devoted no time to developing a physique that would match the necessary demands magic would likely take toll of on the body; or take heed of the obvious fact that by dressing in the garb of a magician one immediately draws a certain 'attention'; and would this observation not be foremost in the wizards thoughts re: personal defense to protect the brains in their heads?

The stereotypical concept of a wizard as a weak, pasty fellow is the problem here; beef him up, give him the ability to defend himself and take away some of his 9 spells which is overkill. Give him an extra body point, allow him to wear magical armor, reorient the world in which HQ physics take place to equalize the wizard - after all, its your game, its your world, you define the experience. Examining this age-old myth of wizards as weak allows us to consider why of necessity they must be weak if not merely because that's the ways it always been done...

gametilewarehouse.com
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print