Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/20/19 at 6:58pm
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HeroQuest Expansion Pages finds a New Home! (Read 16195 times)
Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Re: HeroQuest Expansion Pages finds a New Home!
Reply #20 - 10/04/12 at 12:26pm

New Update today:

After a LONG time, I have finally actually made a major addition to my web site.  I have included my Necromantic magic list. Over half of the spells I got from maleficient over in this thread: http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1313929043. Thanks, bud.

You can find the new addition here: http://heroquestelf.webs.com/necro.html

IP Logged

maleficient
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #21 - 10/05/12 at 2:45am

Hi, just read your post. Thanks for crediting me in your site, although I wouldn't have minded.

I like the tweaks you made, and your original creations, especially the Intangibility spell !

I wanted to add some precisions about the spells you edited from mine.

Having separate the effects of "Fear" in my spell Mist of Despair, and turned it into the new spell Fearsome Countenance is very convenient. Your new Mist of Despair spell is cool, but perhaps a bit too powerful, should the Barbarian be targeted. Maybe the spell should be defendable.

I modified Devouring Dream : the target should now roll 2 combat dice and lose 1 mind point per skull, and if rolling at least 1 black shield, they are controlled by the DM and can immediately perform a full turn, before the heroes' turn (rather than "attack the closest ally", which clearly allows the DM to try to control the wizard to make him spend one powerful spell on his fellows). The target still loses its next turn. I was thinking to rename it "Enslavment".

I edited Impious Regeneration to make it more balanced, imho. It says now that the sorcerer gains back 1 body point  for each pair of white shields he rolls when defending. If he is not attacked, perform a defense roll anyway, this to force the players to try to attack him, whatever ! The body point level of the sorcerer can exceed its initial level after this spell has been cast ! The spells lasts n turns, n being the number of body points the sorcerer had lost when he casted the spell.

For Black Stigmatization, the DM should initially roll 8 dice, instead of 5, which makes the spell more powerful. The purpose of the spell was to potentially harm any heroe, with a bit of hazard. If rolling only 5 dice, I think the way the effect is applied makes a much lower probability for the 2 last heroes to be harmed.

I added an other spell called "Blaze of Zharr" which stands that every creature in the same room as the caster is attacked with 4 dice. Each creature can separately defend by rolling as many combat dice as its current mind points, and is affected by losing body points . The caster and undead monsters are unaffected. Maybe, this should have a lasting effect.

Incidentally, I was on the move to create a new spell called Corruption, which ressembles a lot your Desecrate spell. It would also use the 6-square feature.

Last but not least, I thought of creating a semi-spell, which allows the caster to concentrate his power. This spell has no effect when it is cast, but allows the caster on its next turn, to simultanously cast 2 or 3 spells, in order to create combos with various spells, which may prove deadly ! If the caster loses more than 3 body points before this next turn, the effect is cancelled.

Also, we could add "Ritual of Recall" : the caster may sacrifice one or more undead creature to retrieve as many previously cast spell(s). Each retrieved spell beyond the first one costs him one body point.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #22 - 10/05/12 at 3:22pm

I'm a little strapped for time right now, but I wanted you to know that I saw your post. I'll take a look at what you've suggested and get back to you!!

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #23 - 10/20/12 at 2:06pm

Quote:
I modified Devouring Dream : the target should now roll 2 combat dice and lose 1 mind point per skull, and if rolling at least 1 black shield, they are controlled by the DM and can immediately perform a full turn, before the heroes' turn (rather than "attack the closest ally", which clearly allows the DM to try to control the wizard to make him spend one powerful spell on his fellows). The target still loses its next turn. I was thinking to rename it "Enslavment".

I like what you've done, and I have modified the spell. I also see "perform a full turn" (which includes casting spells) to be almost the same thing as "attack the closest ally", per your comparison. I see your concern and have modified the spell accordingly.

Quote:
I edited Impious Regeneration to make it more balanced, imho. It says now that the sorcerer gains back 1 body point  for each pair of white shields he rolls when defending. If he is not attacked, perform a defense roll anyway, this to force the players to try to attack him, whatever ! The body point level of the sorcerer can exceed its initial level after this spell has been cast ! The spells lasts n turns, n being the number of body points the sorcerer had lost when he casted the spell.

I LIKE that!! The only concern is I see a conflict between wanting to defend and wanting to regenerate. I'm going to modify it to say that while the Necro is under the effects of the spell he defends with white sheilds.

Quote:
For Black Stigmatization, the DM should initially roll 8 dice, instead of 5, which makes the spell more powerful. The purpose of the spell was to potentially harm any hero, with a bit of hazard. If rolling only 5 dice, I think the way the effect is applied makes a much lower probability for the 2 last heroes to be harmed.

Okay. I agree with that change with one modification. While I like the added effect of the spell, I don't like the fact that it can EASILY one-shot the closest character, provided that they roll badly, so I am going to modify it slightly. I will also ask the question of, "What happens if the Sorcerer rolls 8 skulls, but the characters only roll 5"? Personally, I am going with the extra points of damage are lost.

Quote:
I added an other spell called "Blaze of Zharr" which stands that every creature in the same room as the caster is attacked with 4 dice. Each creature can separately defend by rolling as many combat dice as its current mind points, and is affected by losing body points . The caster and undead monsters are unaffected. Maybe, this should have a lasting effect.

It's hard to have a "lasting effect" when you're talking about lost BP. The only way to make this a lasting effect is to make this effect their TOTAL BP, and I think this is churlish.

Quote:
Last but not least, I thought of creating a semi-spell, which allows the caster to concentrate his power. This spell has no effect when it is cast, but allows the caster on its next turn, to simultanously cast 2 or 3 spells, in order to create combos with various spells, which may prove deadly ! If the caster loses more than 3 body points before this next turn, the effect is cancelled.

I like it, but I am going to stick with casting 2 spells. I am also going to make it irreversible. I'm going to call it "Shadow Gathering".

Quote:
Also, we could add "Ritual of Recall" : the caster may sacrifice one or more undead creature to retrieve as many previously cast spell(s). Each retrieved spell beyond the first one costs him one body point.

I like the basic idea, but I'm changing the mechanic of how it works. I'm calling it Leeching Tendril.

You also inspired me to create one more new Necromantic spell myself, called Undead Champion.

IN ADDITION, you've also inspired me to modify my Clerical Spells, but that's another day...

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #24 - 10/24/12 at 12:23pm

Okay, finally got my new Clerical modifications up. Basically, I have nerfed my "Narafan" priests, making them a good bit less powerful. At the same time I changed the mechanics of some of the prayers. I have also codified the healing abilities. It is no longer a "prayer". It's a character ability. The Paladin gets it once, the Monk twice, and the Priest three times. However, I made a slight modification to the suggestion I got from Ogre. Now the Paladin heals 8 points, the Monk 10, and the Priest 12. These points can be then allocated however the clergyman sees fit, healing one, two, three, or potentially all 4 characters at once.

I also added a new "Necromantic Resistance" spell, which does several different things at once.

Whew... busy day.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #25 - 12/10/15 at 8:12am

Ya know, I don't think any of you losers ever actually look at my page... either that or you guys are every bit as big a dunderhead as me.

I had an old friend ask me if my page was still up yesterday, and I assured him it was, and decided to buzz through just to look around.

Holy crap I need an EDITOR. I started going through and there were spelling errors Every-damn-where. SOOOOO... I went through my site with a fine toothed comb today... spent almost three hours... and I think I have at least the majority of the errors fixed.

Some of my favorites? "ignor", "recieve", "thier", "raduis" ugh.

I also updated the spelling of "cocktrice" (which is an acceptable spelling) to the more traditional "cockatrice".

And that was the first update I've done in three years.

I guess that's what happens when you have kids.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #26 - 12/12/15 at 9:13pm

New Update!!

I now have map icons for all of my monsters!!

Some are originals, and some I shamelessly stole from Derfel Link.

MOST I tried to keep in the style of the original game, ie the white character outline on the green circular background.
For example: ...
There were some that I was unable to find a good profile for and had to use something less traditional--
like this: ...

I'm pretty damn good at image manipulation, but I SUCK at image creation, so I had to use what I found online.

Either way, these map icons are in preparation for me getting my DragonLord quest pack maps up and online. I have the basic text of the mapset on my page, but I don't actually have the maps to go along with it. I plan on remedying that as quickly as I can... but it will probably be February before I'll have enough time.

Oh, well. Thanks for allowing me this space to self-aggrandize. Y'all be good!

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #27 - 12/19/15 at 8:56am

You know, I seem to do this in spurts.

Today was a lot of housekeeping and I edited some spells. Basically I was trying to print out my entire Spellbook when I realized that there was some trouble with my Chaos Spells. FIRST OFF, I because I did not have my spells in alphabetical order, I wound up with two spells with the same name, "Warp". So I renamed one of the spells "Chaotic Perceptions". (Incidentally, the one I renamed was the one I got from J.D.) I then also edited the "Quick Sand" spell. It was set up such that you got one chance to defend the spell, and if you failed, it would eventually kill you. I have not changed that, but what I did do is write a rule modification that allows a comrade to pull you out of the quick sand, provided they skip their turn in order to do so. I also modified the "Command" spell, because I have a player character that can use Chaos Magic--called the "Spectral Chaos Warlock"--and in case they decided to use the spell against a boss monster I wanted the Boss Monster to have a higher defense.

I addition, I also modified the rules concerning the Spectral Chaos Warlock. The Warlock is a character that I built for a friend of mine--mostly because he had a mini that he desperately wanted to use, and because I worked so hard to get the character working, I kept him in the rule set. For all intents and purposes, he's a recovering addict. He is a sorcerer that tore himself away from Chaotic Servitude, and is now essentially quasi-undead.

Basically I have added a footnote to how to level up the Character. Again, I was working on my spell book and my focus was on the cost of spells. In other words, in my ruleset, the other spellcasters, the casters of other classes, have to purchase their spells, where the Warlock is assumed to know the entire book. The limitation is that the Warlock can only cast 5 spells per game, and that's a HARD limit that cannot be increased, because to do so would drag the Warlock's mind back into Chaotic Servitude and would make him a monster again. So the Warlock, instead of increasing his manna, increases instead his resistance. It is possible this way to make the Warlock almost immune to Chaos Magic, given enough levels.

I also adjusted my monster page. I made sure that every monster that has a spell or special ability has, in the character description, a link to where you can find the details on that spell or special ability. I also--and this has to do again with the Specral Chaos Warlock--DELETED the Chaos Spell "Glance", mostly because there is no defense against the spell, and I did not want to create a defense for the spell. So rather than making it a spell the Warlock could not cast (the only spell he cannot currently cast is "Escape"), I decided instead to make it a special ability. If you go to my Character Specific Magic page, you'll see a lot more entries. I have added entries for the Dryad, Merrow, Undine, Medusa, & Spectre.

And lastly, I found several more spelling errors in my Faerie Magic spellbook. I think I fixed them all.

I've also finished my second Dragon Lord map, but I haven't uploaded it yet. I won't do that until I have them all finished... and as there is, I think, 12 of them, that's gonna take me some time to get them all digitized. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

I wish you all the Happiest of Holidays!!

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #28 - 02/05/16 at 5:40pm

Okay, so it's taken me way longer than I anticipated. It's February and I still don't have my Dragonlord maps digitized and up on my site yet. The good news is that I'm halfway done. I hope to have the maps done by March. The good news is that I've streamlined the process. The first map of the mapbook looks horrible, but with every progressive map they are looking more and more professional.

Yeah... so, ah... I'll keep you losers in the loop!!
HeroQuest Dice Skull HeroQuest Dice Skull HeroQuest Dice Skull

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #29 - 02/14/16 at 8:31pm

Okay, so... random unrequested update time... My DragonLord Quest book is 12 maps long, and I've managed to get seven of them done. Hopefully I'll get the others done soon....

HOWEVER, since I love you folks so much... I've decided to give you guys an early taste and post my first two maps. I hope they meet your approval.

And if not, well EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!!

http://heroquestelf.webs.com/Dragonlord%20Quest%20Book.pdf

IP Logged

knightkrawler
ROCKET CAR!

BAMF!

Regensburg, Bayern, Germany
Reply #30 - 02/14/16 at 9:45pm

Are there gonna be stretch goals to be unlocked? Those are always fun.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #31 - 02/15/16 at 8:12am

Yeah, kinda.

If you take a look at map #2 "Captured", you'll notice that I nerf the heroes pretty heavily. I have taken away all the Heroes money and all their equipment. The only thing that they keep is their Artifacts, so goal #1 is just rebuilding your inventory (and the maps are pretty heavy with treasure). Also, in the first map the Dragonlord massively overpowers you by throwing all of his dragons at you at once, so the other goal is to wipe out his scaly reinforcements one at a time so you can take him on in a more fair fight.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #32 - 02/22/16 at 11:57am

While I was working on my DragonLord map set, I decided to do some Artifact cards, I thought you guys might like a preview.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #33 - 02/23/16 at 6:41pm

I just finished my Quest Book!!

As soon as I get it uploaded I'll send you guys the link. I still have just a little editing I need to do, but hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tonight. If not, I'll have it up by tomorrow!!

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #34 - 02/23/16 at 9:14pm

Okay guys... so the COMPLETED DragonLord Quest book can be downloaded here:
http://heroquestelf.webs.com/Dragonlord%20Quest%20Book.pdf

I seriously hope some of you guys give it a chance and do some playtesting for me. As a side note, you WILL need some additional figurines. This is a very reptilian board, so you'll need at least 8 dragons and some Lizard men (Troglodytes). Also, I use my "Lightening Lizard" pretty heavily, as well as my Jabberwock.

Of course, you're welcome to substitute wherever you like, but for flavor purposes you should try to make it as reptilian as possible.

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

Reply #35 - 03/04/16 at 10:38am

So I enjoyed the process of doing my DragonLord maps that I kept on going. I have put a new category up on my Scenarios page for Stand Alone quests, and I have uploaded my first quest to that list, "The Tombs of Draglamoor".

This was a favorite map for many of my players, as it creates kind of a moral grey area of "my enemy's enemy is my friend" kind of setup which allows you to temporarily create an alliance between the Heroes and the Orcs. Hopefully some of you will check it out!!
http://heroquestelf.webs.com/Draglamoor.pdf

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print