Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 10:27am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Photo's of Dungeon Crawl All Made Up (Read 17440 times)
Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Re: Photo's of Dungeon Crawl All Made Up
Reply #20 - 08/06/10 at 9:40am

Yep, this is copied form the message you sent me:

Quote:
$90 - Ink for bubble jet (I have a pixma that takes 521 colour cartriges)
$40 - Paper (Kodak Ultra Premium Studio Gloss)
$15 - Laminate sheets (approximate price)

All prices in AUD.

I'm still waiting on a quote back from a place I contacted about the cards.  I do plan on reducing the total cards to 100 or so cards if I do get them printed.  I'm hoping I can get each set for about 5$ and sell them for the same with the game since I'm not looking to make a profit on the cards.

I'll keep those two links you posted in mind.

Once I get the cards figured out, then I gotta look at printing all the other stuff.  IT NEVER ENDS!

By the way - update on the update:  The last week hasn't been a good one for me, having recently lost a very dear friend.  I was in no mood to work, but I just picked up the book again and started applying changes to it.  I'm close to done with it, at which time I'll compile it and post it.  Then I get to apply the same changes to the full version of the book (I'm working on the Easy Print).  Really big pain in the ass that's going to be, making sure that both are the same.  I hope it doesn't take long since I'll be able to just copy and paste text, but we'll see.

Afterward I have more graphics to do (I really gotta get organized, I reference shit I never even made), then finish up the Adventures for Basic, and I might just be ready for a launch.  Yay.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #21 - 08/06/10 at 2:36pm

BAHA!  I finished updating the Easy Print rulebook.  Good Lord I thought this day would never come.  I'm gonna try to get it compiled tonight and uploaded.  There's a LOT of changes... expect some very large patch notes (I documented just about every change I made just to be thorough).

For those printing the Easy Print version, this is definitely the one to print.

Ah, now to start the main book.  Shoot me.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

TiW
I AM NOT HERBERT!

3D Artist

Reply #22 - 08/06/10 at 8:41pm

Hey Biff, Sorry to hear about your friend.

Progress sounds great!

IP Logged

Hengishammer
I AM NOT HERBERT!

"Good men die but death
cannot kill their names"

TX, Texas, USA
Reply #23 - 02/04/12 at 3:04pm

Raven The Scythe wrote on 04/05/10 at 4:44pm:
I should point out anything that did not need folding has been printed on photo paper, laminated then cut.  The cards are folded, laminated then cut.

Was there a special laminating process you used? I cut the cards and then put a piece of double sided tape to stick each side together. I then took it to office max to get laminiated which they promptly ruined. I think it was their laminating device, but who knows. I want to get all the cards printed out preferably like a card deck. Anyone ever got the cards printed out using a 3rd party printery that specializes in playing cards?

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #24 - 02/06/12 at 12:26pm

Not me.  My deck is pretty ghetto - I just put the fronts and backs with a playing card inbetween, in a card holder.  I really need to get a better set made up.  Grin

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reply #25 - 02/09/12 at 7:52am

Hengishammer wrote on 02/04/12 at 3:04pm:
Raven The Scythe wrote on 04/05/10 at 4:44pm:
I should point out anything that did not need folding has been printed on photo paper, laminated then cut.  The cards are folded, laminated then cut.

Was there a special laminating process you used? I cut the cards and then put a piece of double sided tape to stick each side together. I then took it to office max to get laminiated which they promptly ruined. I think it was their laminating device, but who knows. I want to get all the cards printed out preferably like a card deck. Anyone ever got the cards printed out using a 3rd party printery that specializes in playing cards?

Nope. just a standard A4 Fellows Laminator ... all home done.

IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

The Internet!, Oregon, USA
Reply #26 - 04/08/12 at 8:39am

I've considered picking up some plastic cardstock standee things.  It'd take a fair number of them for everything, but it'd greatly simplify lamination, particularly of the doors, monsters, etc.  Just cut, fold, lay a bunch of them out together, and laminate them all together.

If I am gonna do much of these kinds of things, investing in a laminator might be a good idea.  At present, I'd just use clear contact paper.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #27 - 04/08/12 at 1:51pm

Laminators are pretty cheap.  On Amazon they go for 20 to 30 bucks.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

Reply #28 - 04/08/12 at 6:05pm

Biff wrote on 04/08/12 at 1:51pm:
Laminators are pretty cheap.  On Amazon they go for 20 to 30 bucks.

Sure, but the question is the economy of scale.  A $30 laminator uses pouches that feed into the back at the top and eject out the front like a printer or sheet-fed scanner.  Great for big 8x8" tiles that take up a pouch each.  Lousy for a bunch of small tokens which won't easily want to stay in one spot inside the pouch as they're fed through the laminator.  You could laminate and then cut, but this leaves the edges unsealed, which is undesirable.

No, the best solution is to cut the smaller bits, then laminate.  If you can't set big pieces of plastic flat into a machine with lots of tiles and tokens on them to be cut out later, your next best bet is the contact paper.

Pouches and sheets of contact paper are about even in price for the surface area they'll laminate in my investigation, and both get cheaper with quanity.  Only for a one-off project, even for one the size of DC, I either need one really big pack of contact paper or a moderate sized pack of contact paper and a couple packs of laminate pouches of different sizes.

If I'm going to do a lot of it, a laminator becomes a great idea.  Actually if I'm going to be doing a WHOLE lot of it, a cutting plotter does too, and those are a lot more than $30.  Wink

Rolling for whether or not I can afford a cutting plotter…

HeroQuest Dice Black Shield HeroQuest Dice Black Shield HeroQuest Dice Black Shield

Critical failure!

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #29 - 04/09/12 at 1:07pm

Haha.  Yeah I haven't even gotten around to laminating my stuff yet, so I'm not sure how that thing's gonna work.  I kinda assumed that the laminating pouch would stick to the paper after cutting, with the heat of the laminator, but I could be completely wrong on that.

What exactly would you use the plotter for?

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

Reply #30 - 04/10/12 at 7:02am

A cutting plotter (Craft ROBO, Wishblade, etc) can be programmed to automagically cut and score your printed stock.  It can also perfectly cut circles and curves.  It makes VERY short work of PnP tiles, furniture, and general paper crafts. Particularly PnP tiles and buildings from the major sources like Fat Dragon Games, which provides GSD files for cutting stuff on a Craft ROBO. To use with a Wishblade, you convert the GSD file to SVG oR similar. But since prices are pretty much the same all around, just get the Craft ROBO. For lie $300!

The pouch MAY stick to the paper. Or it may not. It will stick to itself, and to let it do so is the only way for lamination alone to seal the edges.  Else you get the problem you see with plastic-coated playing cards (ie, standard Bee/Bicycle/etc.) that the surface of the cards is protected, but a spill still ruins your cards because the spilled liquid gets in at the cut card edges.  That and longer life are why polyurethane, acetate, and other 100% plastic cards are becoming so popular, even if you spend $20 on a deck of the nice ones that last 4-5 times longer than standard given just normal usage wear, but at 8-10x the price!  They're beer-proof. Wink

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #31 - 04/10/12 at 10:42am

I see.  My dad has a big plotter he uses to cut vinyl.  I'd never thought of using that to cut print-and-play stuff, but I imagine it would be a pain in the shit to line everything up properly after printing.

I also bought a CriCut machine a while back, which says it could cut heavier stock stuff, but I've not gotten around to setting it all up yet.  I was going to use it to cut chipboard to mount my tiles on.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #32 - 04/10/12 at 10:46am

Just looked up the Craft Robo and it would probably be a lot better than the CriCut since you have to use some shitty workarounds with software that's just about disappeared from the face of the earth (I have it though).  Maybe I could sell the CriCut or something.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

Reply #33 - 04/11/12 at 7:34am

Yeah, the Craft ROBO makes it easy to get everything lined up for cutting, assuming your printer is accurate (and most are nowadays!)

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reply #34 - 05/14/12 at 8:05am

Actually My brother has access to a vinyl printer/plotter.  I printed my game out on it placed it on 1mm (600gsm) card.  cutting was easy.  But then again he had the software to make printing easy as well.

I would recommend giving it a crack

IP Logged

iKarith
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

I was promised tacos!

Reply #35 - 05/16/12 at 5:26pm

Stumbled across this site for people who want to make playing cards using USPCC cardstock and coatings.  I dunno if you'd want to use USPCC cardstock for making DungeonCrawl cards until the entire system were completely finalized, but the coating and rollers are useful today as an alternative to laminates for things like tiles.  Smiley

Now if I could just find a better solution for accurate cutting of matt board than depending on my hand-eye corrdination.  Wink

IP Logged

HeroQueef
I AM NOT HERBERT!

My toddler can beat up
your toddler

Rex, Georgia, USA
Reply #36 - 05/24/12 at 7:35am

iKarith wrote on 05/16/12 at 5:26pm:
Now if I could just find a better solution for accurate cutting of matt board than depending on my hand-eye corrdination.  Wink

You can buy guillotine paper cutters for about $30 from Wal-Mart.

I love challenges. If you don`t have any and can do whatever you want, then it`s probably time to die.

JCVD

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print