Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 9:27am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Photo's of Dungeon Crawl All Made Up (Read 17437 times)
Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Photo's of Dungeon Crawl All Made Up
04/05/10 at 4:24am

IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Re: Photo's of Dungeon Crawl All Made Up
Reply #1 - 04/05/10 at 7:03am

That looks pretty awesome!

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Reply #2 - 04/05/10 at 9:06am

Too bad the art sucks ...

Smiley

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #3 - 04/05/10 at 11:22am

Holy CRAP that looks awesome!  Those prints are amazing.  My bullshit printer didn't do anywhere near a good a job as these.

Thanks for posting this, man.  I'm blown away!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

LordChaosX
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Council Bluffs, IA, Iowa, USA
Reply #4 - 04/05/10 at 4:26pm

Damn...  that is tight

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #5 - 04/05/10 at 4:44pm

I should point out anything that did not need folding has been printed on photo paper, laminated then cut.  The cards are folded, laminated then cut.

I need to find something that will raise the props (chests, treasure, etc) as on the tiles they are two small and hard to pick up.  At the moment I am thinking furniture feet felt.  That will raise it 2-3 mm.

The cards were printed out on a laser printer (they would have looked heaps better on the colour, and may do them again ... later)  All the rest were done on a canon pixma.

IP Logged

maleficient
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #6 - 05/12/10 at 5:33am

Looks sweet...

Biff, you did custom make the tile from the scratch ? They are trully amazing, hat off !

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #7 - 05/12/10 at 11:17am

Yes, all artwork in the game is 100% original and handmade, except for the grass and dirt tiles.  Those I made with photographic textures.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

zepgodiria
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

ballz

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reply #8 - 07/23/10 at 5:01pm

Wow.  I don't have half that shit.  Then again I haven't been here in a hot minute so...looks like I need to go download the most recent update!

zepgodiria zepgodiria  
IP Logged

TiW
I AM NOT HERBERT!

3D Artist

Reply #9 - 07/30/10 at 5:46am

Hey Biff,

Are there any plans to release this game ready made/printed at a greater price?. I would love to own it but don't really have the time to print and cut everything up. I also don't think I could do as good a job as
Relexx! Smiley

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #10 - 07/30/10 at 7:17am

BAh ... it is all straight lines, lamination, and I was printing on photo paper

IP Logged

john
ROCKET CAR!

I Love games !!

Henderson, North Carolina, USA
Reply #11 - 07/30/10 at 5:47pm

Yeah, but that is a lot of printing and cutting .TiW has a point about prepackaged materials at a higher price. ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGrin ShitColoredGlasses

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #12 - 08/03/10 at 1:22pm

Oops, don't know how I missed the rest of these replies.

At the moment there isn't any real plans to get printed components, because I just don't have the money for it right now.  If the game sells well enough once I release it, then of course I want to head down that road.  The problem then is finding a place that will print and cut up that many components for a fair price.

A bunch of the stuff that comes with the game could be considered things that would have been part of an expansion pack, like all of the different dungeon theme card decks.  When designing Dungeon Crawl, I wanted to create kind of a one-stop all-inclusive experience, where the players wouldn't have to come up with their own additions to the game (not like it's discouraged, just that I wanted everything I could possibly think of in there to give the game more value).

I think to make the game more friendly to get manufactured professionally, I'd have to cut down a lot of the components, like cutting the Treasure deck in half, and only including one or two dungeon theme decks.  Maybe even reducing the number of dungeon boards as well.

Of course, I could also try an in-home method of creating all of the components like Relexx has done, and sell those separately.  Lots of stuff to consider.

Now, I wonder, would it be worth trying to offer three different steps of each component?  For instance:

Option 1:  Printed, cut, and mounted - highest price.
Option 2:  Printed and cut - medium price.
Option 3:  Printed - lowest price.

Anyone think something like that would work?  I could imagine that some people wouldn't want to print it all but wouldn't mind cutting and mounting, etc., while others don't want to bother with any of it and just want the whole thing done right away.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

TiW
I AM NOT HERBERT!

3D Artist

Reply #13 - 08/03/10 at 7:56pm

What would be the price point of Option1. Are we talking $50/60 USD?

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #14 - 08/03/10 at 11:48pm

I really don't know at the moment.  This is all hypothetical and I just came up with it today.

The reality of this thing is that I designed the game around a print-and-play model.  With this in mind I wanted to squeeze as much into it as possible, and this doesn't translate terribly well into a professional manufacturing.  (Sorry to be redundant!)

So, I've been thinking about cards and I did some research today.  I have almost 200 cards in the game, and cards being way expensive to manufacture, I've been thinking of cutting them down to like half, if possible.  Reduce the treasure deck to about 25 cards, each Theme deck to about 10, cut down on the Dungeon Lord Deck (not sure how much) and add an Events deck.

Basically right now, I have the Dungeon Events stuffed into a bunch of different Themes, but I figured each Theme could just have cards that "double up" as Event cards.  For instance, one might say "Place X Monsters, X Doors, and X Furniture.  If playing a Dungeon Rampage, draw an Event card instead."  This way the Events don't have to be extra cards in the deck, they scale properly to random dungeon size, and any Event at all could appear in any dungeon.

On top of this, I've been thinking of cutting down the number of Dungeon Boards in the game.  Again, it was a case of giving the buyers more than they need to make the deal that much better.  But for print, this hurts both me and the game, because I'd have to pay a whole lot more for printing, and have to raise the cost of the game to something that would be way too much.

I feel the rest of the tiles and printed components would be fine the way they are.

Now, mind you, this version of the game would be the "optional" version.  For print-and-play, I would be keeping all of the cards, boards, and Adventures all the same, for all the guys who like to have all the components and have already put in the time and effort to build the game like they want.  There would be a separate (and of course free to all owners) version of the Adventure book that would only use half of the Dungeon Boards, slimmed down card decks that, if used, should give about the same gameplay experience as the full deck, and kind of take it from there.

I think this would make it much more feasible to create a version of the game that I could sell fully made, and still keep the price down.  I'd really hate to pull a FFG and sell the game for 80 bucks.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reply #15 - 08/03/10 at 11:59pm

I saw this site a while ago:

http://www.thegamecrafter.com/home

Might be handy for a price comparison.

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #16 - 08/04/10 at 9:14am

Yeah I've had them bookmarked for a while and just checked them out yesterday.  Anyone wanna dish out 21 bucks just for the cards?  Sad

I was doing a bit of poking around yesterday and found this place:  http://www.customizedplayingcards.com/

They look like they do things in a pretty old-fashioned way, and sound like they try to cut the cost as much as possible.  With a reduced total deck size, if I can get the entire card set down to like 5 bucks a pop, I'd be happy.  Then it would be off to find printers for everything else...

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - 08/05/10 at 5:35am

Relexx.. Dude..

Is that a Leather bed ?

Loving the DC btw, havn't seen all the art in it before.

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #18 - 08/05/10 at 9:27am

I'm glad it's appreciated - doing all that artwork fucking killed me.

I am never, ever designing a game from the ground up all by myself ever again!!!  Grin

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #19 - 08/06/10 at 3:24am

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga wrote on 08/05/10 at 5:35am:
Relexx.. Dude..

Is that a Leather bed ?

Yesssss *nods*

actually a plastic table cover covering a very nice hardwood table (to stop kids wreacking it)

Biff can you remeber how much it cost me to make it?

There is also these people that can do custom cards http://www.superiorpod.com/ and these http://www.tmcards.com/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print