Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 9:26am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
[Antaire: Dungeons] - By Relexx (Read 54700 times)
Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Re: Relexx's Game - Antaire: Dungeons
Reply #120 - 10/26/10 at 6:05pm

BGG Blurb ...
Quote:
Explore the hidden dungeons of the land of Antaire. Fight your way through the dungeon, avoiding its traps, fighting monsters and most importantly collecting your gold.

Antaire: Dungeons is a competitive dungeon exploration game. Players compete against the dungeon and each other, trying to leave with the most gold.

The game is designed to allow infinite replay. All players start with one of eight characters (Knight, Barbarian, Archer, Thief, Mage, Healer, Druid, Necromancer) on a beginning tile. As the game progresses the dungeon is extended by adding tiles consisting of corridors, rooms, and importantly shops and most importantly the exit tile. Shops allow the player to buy new equipment for their character, increasing his or her abilities, or heal damage from the dangers of the dungeon. Players themselves add monsters, traps and treasure within the dungeon to either their advantage or opponents disadvantage, leaving everybody to play. Death in the game is only final if the exit appears, extending the overall player interaction to the last possible moment. And don't worry, if a character exits the dungeon, the player may still play, using the dungeon and its inhabitants to stop other players exiting and defeating them.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #121 - 10/26/10 at 9:13pm

Awesome, dude!  I want to try to get a game in soon... sounds cool!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #122 - 11/05/10 at 9:09am

I have redesigned the cards, more in line with the art that is being done for me ....

I want something to replace the grey but just not sure what.  White it looks way to bland.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #123 - 11/05/10 at 10:24am

Very cool!  I'm digging the art style.  Those icons are reminiscent of Munchkin, pretty cool.

For the grey, I'd do some kind of texture, but keep the tone of the texture about the same as the grey area.

Another thing you can do is color the border that grey color, instead, and keep the upper box with a white background.  This would work especially well if you went a step further and separated the two boxes with a small gap.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #124 - 11/05/10 at 4:52pm

You know I completelyforgot that I could separate the boxes ...

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #125 - 11/07/10 at 7:27pm

First completed Card .... Yay

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #126 - 11/14/10 at 12:54pm

This Topic was moved here from Other Games by Biff.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Re: [Antaire: Dungeons] - By Relexx
Reply #127 - 11/15/10 at 7:32am

I think the text in the main part of the card needs padding (to move it away from the borders) Otherwise it looks good

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #128 - 11/15/10 at 9:06am

Huh I must have missed the update.  Looks much better.  I would also try lightening up that grey.  Lookin good though!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #129 - 11/18/10 at 6:25am

Well, I decided to get rid of the smoke, and put a random tile background on instead, and bought the text in as Arcade suggested.  I think it looks much better.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #130 - 11/18/10 at 9:17am

Looks great, dude.  Very nice.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #131 - 12/01/10 at 5:33am

I have redone my tiles

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #132 - 12/01/10 at 8:33am

Very nice.  I would make two small changes though.  The spaces between the tiles look too light.  I would either darken them a lot (possibly the same brown that is just outside the black walls) or give that layer a drop shadow effect with a distance of 0.  Adding a bit of a shadow to the edges like that gives it a bit of a realism effect.

Possibly the reason it looks strange is because it looks like one solid color, whereas the tiles are light in the middle and dark toward the edges.  Making the brown get darker toward the edges might make it come together a little better.

Also, something that I just thought of that I've never done before:  How about adding a drop shadow that would radiate outwards from the middle?  This could be accomplished by selecting the layer pixels (in Photoshop you do this by control-clicking the layer's icon), then you create a new layer underneath the tiles layer, and fill the selection with black.  Then, do a Transform>Scale and scale it up juuust a bit so you start seeing black along the outer edges of the tiles.  Then give it a good blur, and set the opacity down to something that isn't so in-your-face.  That might look cool (and I might try it in the future!).

Finally the only other thing is I would put a big drop shadow (0 distance) coming from the walls.  This will make the walls "pop" out and feel like they're taller.  As it is now, they look like they're on the same level as the tiles, and with the drop shadow you have going into the brown, it actually makes the red tiles feel like they're "above" the brown areas.  A drop shadow that's half the width of one of the small square tiles should do it.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #133 - 12/01/10 at 5:20pm

I guess there is a couple of things here.  I have used 4 low intensity light sources (10), each one approximately in the middle of each quarter, as it reduces the overall central halo effect you can get from one.

The tile spacing is actually the same layer as the wall colour (using cloud).  A drop shadow radiating outwards may well work to add some more definition.  Likewise I will see how I go with the walls.  The walls are actually 2 layers.  The gradiant is a black->transparent at 60% opacity, then the black like is a separate layer.

I'll see if I can give what you have suggested a go tonight.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #134 - 12/01/10 at 7:21pm

Ultimately it's up to you, so if you like how it is, you can run with it.  I'm not trying to be all like "You're doing it wrong!"   Smiley

I suppose the reason that it looks like the tiles are above the walls is because it looks like you added a drop shadow to the tiles, which is falling on the brown layer.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #135 - 12/01/10 at 9:32pm

Yeah not that you point it out it does look like that a bit, but it may be a side effect of using 4 lights in the render ... the other thing being is that the image is 4.5 x 4.5 inches in size, of which I have not done a test print yet ... that may change the perspective greatly on what we are talking about.

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #136 - 12/02/10 at 5:38am

Just tried the 0 distant drop shadow on the walls and tiles ... makes a marked difference.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #137 - 12/02/10 at 8:42am

Hmm looks better, but the tile drop shadow now REALLY brings out the highlight in the farthest tiles (the corridor ones at the edges of the board).  It's not really bad at all, just a tiny little nitpick.  Personally though I'd just go over it with a brush on a separate layer to tone those edges down a bit.

My only other dislike is that there's almost no detail inside the walls (the brown parts).  I would put some kind of texture in there, but as I'm writing this I also think it works well like it is, because the eyes are drawn to the room, not the outside.

Also just noticed something.  How come the walls are blurry?

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #138 - 12/02/10 at 3:59pm

Quote:
How come the walls are blurry?

The walls are done with a brush that have that effect.   Also adding the drop shadow has also made it more prominent.

Just wondering what a black bordered, white wall (like HQ) would look like instead ... Perhaps that would build a better definition with the drop shadow etc.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #139 - 12/02/10 at 5:19pm

I'm personally not a fan of stark white walls, but it would work.  I like to use some kind of noise texture, mostly.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print