Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 9:37am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
[Antaire: Dungeons] - By Relexx (Read 54702 times)
Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Re: Relexx's Game: Dungeons of Antaire
Reply #100 - 04/20/10 at 4:27pm

Okay I've put together the Actions and the sample floor plan.

http://imagehosting.smackwell.com/hq/DoA.rar

The sample is just a stone texture (http://imageafter.com) with the lines drawn on top (I left the layers in so you can see what I did).  Then I copied (Ctrl-Shift-C) the canvas and pasted it into a new Channel.  Then I created the selections (you'll see the black-and-white Channels).

You can paste your own floor over into the Floor Bump Map Channel, or just edit the layers I left in there (I drew the lines using a 1 pixel Pencil).

Import the Actions that's in the file.

When you've got the texture in the Floor Bump Map channel, go ahead and click the Action Buttons as many times as you want in whatever pattern you want.  A few clicks on each, and you'll have yourself pretty much limitless tile combinations.  Hope you find it useful!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reply #101 - 04/21/10 at 4:55am

I think I got it sussed now ... I have done away with the bevel ...

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #102 - 04/21/10 at 1:24pm

Right on!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #103 - 04/22/10 at 5:57am

woops Biff I missed the top of this page.  Ill down load it now have have a peek.

On the other side of things ...

old ... ...

new ... ...

I thought on this all a bit more last night while trying to get to sleep to try and get a good look.

My steps
1. Foreground 20% grey, background 70% grey
2. Filter->Render->Clouds
3. Selection on tile cuts
4. Delete them on the cloud rendered layer
5. Invert the selection
6. Inner glow, Blend mode = normal, colour = black, opacity = 100%,  size 5px (This creates a bump map bevel on the tiles)
7. Select the whole area (Shft-A), then the magic copy (Ctrl-Shft-C)
8. Create a new channel and paste
9. New Layer, fill with 50% grey
10. Filter->Render->Lighting Effects, select Lighting Type = Omni, Texture Channel = New Channel
11. Select Tile cuts again
12. Grow selection 1px
13. Delete on the light effect layer.
14. Fill selection black

I needed to do steps 11-13 as I got little grey lines down near the tile cracks.

Asside from the glow being a bit bright in the center, all turned out well I though

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #104 - 04/22/10 at 6:15am

Biff wrote on 04/20/10 at 4:27pm:
When you've got the texture in the Floor Bump Map channel, go ahead and click the Action Buttons as many times as you want in whatever pattern you want.  A few clicks on each, and you'll have yourself pretty much limitless tile combinations.  Hope you find it useful!

I just wish I could see the detail of the action more.

I have had a close look at my current tile pattern.  I can conveniently cut it in to quarters.  So using the magic of actions as you have so eloquently demonstrated, I figure I can choose to rotate each quarter between 0 and 3 times.  That gives me 256 different combinations, since I have 40 tiles I think that should probably do me.

Just looked deeper into your actions, and figured how you do the set selection, that is really elegant.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #105 - 04/22/10 at 9:40am

As far as reducing the big white spot in the middle of the room, you can raise the ambiance of the lighting effects and reduce the intensity.  It should produce a less "metallic" looking floor.

The new tile's looking good.  The Render/Clouds filter really gives a good irregular granite type of feel to the face of the tiles.

The only thing I'd do different is completely trivial; When you cut out the selection to get rid of the grey lines between the tiles, I'd leave it transparent and make a layer underneath to fill in.  With DC, I made a dirt texture underneath the tiles just to give a little bit of extra detail.

Raven The Scythe wrote on 04/22/10 at 6:15am:
Just looked deeper into your actions, and figured how you do the set selection, that is really elegant.

Yeah for my DC Actions, I actually had the Action make the selections with the Marquee tool.  It works all the same, but it was kinda ugly.  I made the selection channels by making a new channel, then using the marquee tool to select the area, then fill with the paint bucket.  Another way to go about it, though, is to make the selection on your normal canvas, then do Select/Save Selection... and choose New Channel.  This will give you the exact same result as the previous option.  Either way works!

Glad you found it useful, anyway.  Always good to pick up new Photoshop tricks.  Smiley

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #106 - 05/03/10 at 5:58pm

Another play test last Wednesday (it was actually requested that we play it).

There is still raging debate on the bidding system to choose your hero, if you should retain your bid cards or discard them.

As a run down on how the bidding works.  A random set of hero's are selected, then the players bid from cards dealt to them (
each card has a rank, summing the ranks gives the bid score).  Once a  player has successfully placed the highest bid the may choose the hero of their choice, then next highest bidder their hero, etc.

Currently the rule stands that bid cards are returned to the players hand.  We are currently debating if they should discarded.  The cards are typically traps, treasure or monsters to be played in the dungeon, for this reason I am hesitant to allow them to be discarded.  However not discarding them, the players just place their whole hand as their bid.  I have thought limiting the number of cards that may be bid, but no idea I come up with seems to sit well with me.

The whole premise of the bid is to allow players have some method of determining what hero they play in some competitive manor (not all hero's start out equal, and they require different strategies to play).  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Things to keep in mind.  
  • There is 8 hero's, of which a random number, equal to the number of players is selected.
  • The players are dealt 5 cards (ranging in ranks 1-7)
  • Ideally I would like all cards to remain in play
  • I would like there to be some detrimental effect for exposing cards, or some bonus for not exposing cards

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #107 - 05/04/10 at 9:50am

I see your dilemma.  On one hand, you want the bid to mean something, and on the other, you want players to play those cards, otherwise the game might become uneventful for lack of cards.

I would think maybe each player draws an extra card from the top of the deck, and highest value goes first.  This takes away all of the bidding, though, which I feel is not a good way to go, but it's already semi-random because, what if someone gets cards all ranked as 1?  He won't be able to win because of a bad draw.

One thing you might consider is discarding the bid cards, and once all heroes are chosen, each player draws back up to 5 cards.  The drawback here is that players can chuck all of the cards they don't like in hope of getting a better card, so it ends up being a win-win situation for them.  But for those who want first pick, they might have to give up good cards and end up with weaker cards.  This is the preferred outcome, because a sacrifice was made to get first pick.

As far as rewarding the player who held on to the most cards, you could award them one or two bonus cards (or award the two players who bid the least cards the extra cards).

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #108 - 05/09/10 at 5:44pm

Thanks Biff. After all this, and further discussions with one of my play testers, resolving confusion of principles etc it was simply agreed that bid cards would be shuffled back into the deck.  One of the strategies of the game is to keep your hand full so you have as many options available to you as possible.

Those that win the bid will have fewer cards, those that lose will have more.
« Last Edit: 05/17/10 at 7:25am by Raven The Scythe »  

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #109 - 05/17/10 at 7:24am

And we have an example layout of tiles ... boo yahh

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #110 - 08/18/10 at 8:41pm

Some in game pics from last nights go ...

Mid game

end game

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #111 - 08/18/10 at 8:48pm

Oh dude that looks great!  What did you use for mounting the boards?  And it looks like they're laminated, right?

Looks excellent, man... need higher res pics!

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #112 - 08/18/10 at 11:24pm

The boards are laminated.

Printed them myself, then got a freebie from a local box manufacture to laminate and cut them for me.  Then just covered them with clear contact.

do you want higher res of these pics or just close ups of a particular spot.  The originals are 8MB each.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #113 - 08/18/10 at 11:25pm

About like 1200 pixels wide - it's hard to see detail in such small pics.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #114 - 08/18/10 at 11:55pm

IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #115 - 08/20/10 at 5:35am

Looks very bright and colourful  Shocked

Did everyone have fun ?

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #116 - 08/21/10 at 3:16am

Everybody appears appears to enjoy it Cheesy

IP Logged

Arcade floret bobongo muwanga
ROCKET CAR!

West Midlands UK, United Kingd, United Kingdom
Reply #117 - 08/21/10 at 3:59am

I suspect the Wine, chocolates and coffee may have helped !  Smiley

Legolasbaker has stated: the original European series of Hero Quest, has reached the apex of playability for a board game."

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Reply #118 - 08/22/10 at 6:42pm

Always does. Cheesy

But then again I played it again with my brothers last night (noobs to the game) with out enjoyment enhancing substances, and they thought it was ok (well that is what they said)

IP Logged

Raven The Scythe

Re: Relexx's Game - Antaire: Dungeons
Reply #119 - 09/05/10 at 8:28pm

Open for Playtesting

I have been putting this off with nervous abandon for a while now.

Antaire: Dungeons is about exploring a dungeon as one of eight different classes, defeating monsters, avoiding traps, collecting gold. Finally escaping with the most gold. The game is GM-less where all players take on the role of a GM, creating and placing loot, traps and monsters.

The games takes about 2-4 hours to complete for 2-8 players and contains
* 40 tiles
* 130 cards
* Rule Book
* Cheat Sheet

In addition you will need two sets of coloured tokens (1 for wounds, 1 for gold)
6 sided dice (approximately 6 for convenience)

For any that are interested please send me a pm with your email address (drop box login if you use drop box)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print