Send Topic Print
World of Warcraft (Read 42861 times)
Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Adelaide, Australia, South Australia, Australia
World of Warcraft
02/14/09 at 2:48am

Does anyone play? If so give me some tips.

I got the main game today and it's still downloading the patches and updates for it.

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Re: World of Warcraft
Reply #1 - 02/14/09 at 4:10pm

Haha I just quit playing during December.  I just can't get into the game anymore.

I have a Horde guild running on the server Onyxia.  They're a bunch of friendly folk I know, mostly I know them personally, and a few I know from the game.  If you want I can invite you to my guild and you can get lots of help from them.  I may pop in to help as well as I haven't actually shut down my account.

If you want to play alliance, we have some characters on Spirestone server but we don't really play much there; we're mostly Horde.

If you do decide to play on Onyxia, we can pretty much give you access to the guild bank, which has tons of shit to help out new players, and I can kick you down some gold to get you started quickly.  Or if you prefer, you can do it all like normal and not take the handouts.  Smiley  Your choice.

Some people you can look for on Onyxia:

Ohhchett - my cousin Martin
Seniorboner - same cousin
Groxx - cousin John
Vaydrr - my good friend Chris (he posts on this board sometimes as Sirhc the Jerk)
Bahls - same Chris
Brassbahls - same Chris
Fartheart - my coworker Kenny

The guys I usually play on (when I am on):
Smacks
Rocketballs
Smashbringer

You can add any of these guys to your friends list, let them know that you know me (tell them you know Alex, who plays Smacks), and they should be able to give you some tips or help out.

Now after writing this I just realized you'll probably be playing on Oceanic servers.  Haha.  I'm not sure if you can join North American servers?  Hmm.  Weird.

Lag might be an issue if you join us in Onyxia-US, so that might dissuade you.  They just recently added the Oceanic servers because of lag problems.  Oh well.  haha.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #2 - 02/14/09 at 4:36pm

Here's some starting tips:

Server choice.
There's 4 kinds of servers.
PvP - In these servers, you can attack enemy players in most world zones.  Regardless of level, you can attack them and they can attack you.
RP-PvP:  Same as above, but it's for people who like to roleplay their characters.

PvE - In this server type, you can never be attacked by an enemy player unless you flag yourself for PvP.  I think they CAN attack you if you're in their territory.
RPPvE - Same as above but for people who like to roleplay.

Once you've chosen a server, it's time to create a character.  This game is very easy, and no classes are really too difficult, but some are easier than others.

First think of what role you want to play.  Do you want to do damage (called DPS)?  DPS is the most abundant role played in the game.  Do you want to be a healer?  Healers are almost always needed.  Do you want to be the meat shield?  Known as Tanks, these guys throw on a shield and heavy armor when in groups in dungeons.  They get hit by everyone and survive by being healed.  The DPS classes do the rest.

Rogue.  One of the most fun classes, especially if you play on a PvP server.  These guys get to go invisible, even in combat (to get you out of combat).  You can hide from other players that might want to kill you, or ambush the crap out of someone.  Very fun to play and easy to master.  They stun their opponents and incapacitate them in combat.  If you're good, you can take someone out before they can even do anything.  This class's role is DPS.

Paladin - Only available to the Alliance side unless you get the Burning Crusade expansion.  Paladins are a Hybrid class.  They can Tank, Heal, and DPS, all while wearing the heaviest armor.  I've played this class a few times and it's kind of boring to me, cause you do the same shit over and over again.  Recently they made changes so that you have to do LESS over and over again, so it's kinda boring.  At higher levels they do amazing DPS, though, and they're good tanks and healers.  If you want to level a guy who has all these options to them, you can play a Paladin.

Warrior.  Warriors can Tank and DPS.  They're really good at both.  At higher levels you can dual wield two handed weapons, which is just awesome.  They're really fun to level, wear heavy armor, and deal really good damage.  They get a bit complicated, however.  They have three stances, their balanced stance, their DPS stance, and their defense stance, used for Tanking.  Not all of your abilities are available in every stance, so you set up three different action bars for them.

The good part is that you don't get all the stances at once, so you get to become familiar with each one before getting another one.

Mage - Mages wear the lightest armor, and are purely Ranged DPS.  Throw  magic missiles, ice bolts, or fireballs.  They're also good at "crowd control", which is all about putting guys you don't want to fight out of the fight for a while.  For instance, they can turn enemies into sheep, freeze enemies in place, etc.  Very fun to play, lots of tricks up their sleeve.

Priest - Priests are mostly healers wearing the lightest armor, but they can also do DPS.  Really, really good DPS at higher levels.  Don't have a lot to say about priests as I leveled mine in kinda a cheating way, and I don't really know how to use him.  Smiley

Warlock - Warlocks used to be the cheapest assholes.  They get to summon demons to help them, and one of their biggest tools was Fear.  When you fear someone, they go running around scared for like 10 seconds.  During this time your demon is pummeling them, and you're throwing shadowbolts at them.  One of the easiest classes to level, but also kinda boring for my tastes.

Hunter - Pussies.  They get to wear medium armor, and do Ranged DPS, and they get a pet that you can tame and train.  They're really good at staying out of melee combat (which begs the question, why do they get to wear mail armor?  pussies).  Kind of a fun class to play, easy to level.

Druid - Shapeshifters that can either do Ranged DPS in their normal /moonkin form, Melee DPS in their cat form, Heal in normal/tree form, and tank in bear form.  Obviously the most versatile class in the game.  They start out very slow, as you have to start in ranged DPS mode.  At level 10 you get to become a bear, which will help you in tanking (a tank that can heal himself is quite a good thing), but it's still slow leveling.  At level 20 you get your cat form.  This is where it gets fun, cause you're basically a Rogue now.  They wear leather armor.

Death Knight - You can't play one until you have another character of level 55 and you have both of the expansions, burning crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.  These guys wear the heaviest armor, passively heal themselves, do really really good damage, and they start at level 55.  Their drawback?  Fucking none.  These guys are cheaters.  DPS and tank.

Shaman - Ah, my favorite class, too bad the melee DPS part of them is lame and they die in PvP like a bunch of little pussies.

This is another Hybrid class.  Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and Heals.  I've only played Melee DPS, which is REALLY fun and easy to level.  You do awesome damage, can heal yourself in battle, heal others.  The shaman get to throw down totems which benefit you and whatever party members you have.  Like faster attacking, more armor, or they can heal you or do damage to your enemies.

In my opinion this is the funnest class to play, as they're a good mix of everything other than tank, but they're just real squishy in PvP in later levels.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #3 - 02/14/09 at 4:37pm

If there's anything else you want to know, just post here and I'll help ya out.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Reply #4 - 02/14/09 at 11:48pm

Awesome man, thanks for that.

I'll have to wait until I can contact the help line tomorrow as my login doesn't work. Fuck knows why. They wouldn't have dissallowed me because I use the name NakedNinja would they? I can't think of any other reason why I cant log on. It says my account name is not correct, and I can't find the page that lets you get your account name emailed to you. The automated help line says there is a page to do it, but it's not where they say it is. I'll just have to wait until business hours and ring Blizzard.

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #5 - 02/15/09 at 12:04am

That sucks, maybe you misspelled it?  When you registered, they should have sent you an email with your login name.

They don't really care about login names.  Character names yes, but that one isn't really very offensive.  I mean, I have a warlock named Facecocker.  That shit ain't subtle at all.

Oh, one thing you should never do, that they don't really stress, is tell someone your login and password.  They'll read your chats/private messages, and if they find that info, your account is banned permanently.  So yeah, don't do that.

But yeah for now, check the email address tied to the account you created.  For a while I wasn't getting Blizzard emails, I had to switch to another email sever (gmail) to get the mails.  If you haven't gotten anything from them yet, this might be the problem.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #6 - 02/15/09 at 12:13am

If you're not getting the emails, try this page:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/loginsupport/email.html

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Reply #7 - 02/15/09 at 11:22pm

Yeah I tried that. It just says "This account name was not found in our records. Please check the name again for any missed or incorrect characters. If the account name is correct, please contact billing support at 1-800-592-5499"

I never got a email with account logon detalis, so maybe I'll give it another go. I was a bit reluctant as I'd made it all the way through to some sort of confirmation screen and it accepted my CC details and all that and I don't want to set up another accound and get charged again.

I got an automated reply email from the billing/ accounts dept saying my message was received, so I might have to wait until they reply to that. I'll have a try ringing the customer servie line tomorrow as well. It had an phone number especially for Australians but is only available between 8am and 8pm pacific (US) time. That means I ahve to ring between 2.30am and about 6.00am when I leave for work.

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #8 - 02/16/09 at 12:02am

Jeez that's retarded.  I suppose try checking your Spam filter?  Maybe your email got routed to that.

Did you maybe make your login name Naked Ninja with a space between?  If so, if that doesn't work, try it with an underscore?

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #9 - 02/16/09 at 12:06am

I just used that link from earlier to change the email, and I tried both NakedNinja and nakedninja and it accepted both of them.

If you want me to give a try to login, send me your password in a PM and I'll see if I can get into it.  No worries if you wanna just do it yourself.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #10 - 02/16/09 at 3:36am

Did you set up a full account right away or did you start off with a trial account?  Cause the trial account will expire in 10 days, no worries.  Although I don't think they make you enter CC info in trial accounts...

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Reply #11 - 02/16/09 at 9:57pm

Thanks for the help guys.

It was a full account. I'll just have to get up reaaal early and ring the help line which is a bit of a pain in the arse as I don't even know my real name at that time of the morning, let alone my login details.

I got a email back from billing help and it explained how to retrieve password, but to retrive a password you have to have a login name (which is my problem as I don't have a valid one) I explained that in the email, but they didn't get it obviously. There is only one way to do it, and that's ring.

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #12 - 02/17/09 at 12:13am

That sucks.  They always give you the run-around with emails with generic responses.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

zepgodiria
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

ballz

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reply #13 - 02/17/09 at 6:28am

I would love to start playing WoW, but my life as I know it would be over.  I get really sucked in and addicted to these kind of things and I'd never leave the damn house.  The only way to avoid that happening is to avoid WoW all together.  I won't even watch my friends play.

zepgodiria zepgodiria  
IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #14 - 02/17/09 at 6:56am

Or just tell them that their customer service is shit and that they've changed your mind about playing the game.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #15 - 02/17/09 at 9:22am

Zep:  Set the parental controls so you can only play so much.  Smiley

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

zepgodiria
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

ballz

Reply #16 - 02/17/09 at 10:50am

Interesting idea.  It would work for maybe a week before I gave in and reset them though.

zepgodiria zepgodiria  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #17 - 02/17/09 at 12:53pm

True, but just remind yourself they're there for a reason.

The urge to reset them would be pretty big though.  Hmm, I'm only 3 bars away from level 30.  I'll just turn off the parental control and play until I level...

5am rolls by...

Oh shit.

Although, I don't know if you can set a different password than the account password for parental control.  It would only make sense that the passwords are different, so have someone else be in charge of limiting your time.  Cheesy

I wanted to put a parental control on myself for not allowing me to talk on the trade and general channels.  I've gotten banned a few times from the game for talking mad shit to people.  I just can't help it.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

zepgodiria
WEDNESDAY APPAREL!

ballz

Reply #18 - 02/17/09 at 1:03pm

Haha!  I love that warning you received that you posted a while back.  You spouted a bunch of smack to someone and got kicked off or something.  That was fucking funny. Smiley

zepgodiria zepgodiria  
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #19 - 02/17/09 at 2:42pm

Yeah.  I've had a few worse ones.  I got a character banned and forced name change cause his name was Assbringer.  Alone that name ain't great, but there's a legendary weapon in the game called Ashbringer that has a lot of lore behind it, so it was pretty epic.  Lames.

This was a good one I got a while back:

2008/08/02 10:07:51 (GMT) - Rocketballs says in Trade - City "actually i'm like a werefaggot"
2008/08/02 10:08:02 (GMT) - Rocketballs says in Trade - City "on a full moon i thnk about fucking dudes"

Only three hour suspension though.

Here's another:

2008/07/29 06:46:17 (GMT) - Beefcannon says in Trade - City "chuck norris was never a virgin cause he fucked his mom on the way out.  what an asshole"
2008/07/29 06:58:52 (GMT) - Beefcannon says in Trade - City "okay throw me a bone (ha) why the fuck is everyone talking about tyrese?"

I coulda sworn there was more.  I must have gotten away with worse shit.  haha.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print