The Beastmaster (Read 24933 times)
fallensaviour
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!
DRILL BLING

winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Re: The Beastmaster
Reply #60 - 01/17/09 at 3:21pm

Biff wrote on 01/17/09 at 2:44pm:
Actually, incidentally, we just dug out our HeroQuest stuff from storage, and lo and behold, we pretty much have EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER SHEET we ever used.  Big ass stack of characters.  It's ridiculous.  And some of them were dead so Wolf could resurrect them.

Lol...that's funny as hell!!
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #61 - 01/17/09 at 3:29pm

Okay here are a couple of other cards I did up.I would like to give credit for the artwork but I have no idea who did it?
I boosted them from WHQ I think.I really don't care that much either as this is home use only but if you know who then pipe in with a name.

The stats came from flints bestiary I've been using it for awhile so thanks flint.
Anyway I wanted to even things out a bit and make it so the beastmaster doesn't just try to pull companion cards all the time looking for a bear or something so I added a couple of chaos minions to the deck.I wanted creatures/humoniods that were half man half animal so I have these two guys for now.I also wanted cards for figs that I have on hand.Let me know what you guys think...  

IP Logged

Phoenix
ROCKET CAR!

"Bringing new life, to
a classic game."

TC, IN, USA, Indiana, USA
Reply #62 - 01/17/09 at 6:51pm

In all reality, wouldn't it be easier to just have a simple set of animals and then run an alignment check?  If it's good, then yeah, if evil, then watch-out!!

EXAMPLE: Roll 1 Combat Die.  On a roll of a Skull, Good alignment, White Shield=evil, Black Shield=unsuccessful this attempt.

Some could be slateted more one way or the other.

...or not.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #63 - 01/17/09 at 6:53pm

Black Skull makes it a bad beastie...  I like that idea.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #64 - 01/17/09 at 7:36pm

Phoenix wrote on 01/17/09 at 6:51pm:
In all reality, wouldn't it be easier to just have a simple set of animals and then run an alignment check?  If it's good, then yeah, if evil, then watch-out!!

EXAMPLE: Roll 1 Combat Die.  On a roll of a Skull, Good alignment, White Shield=evil, Black Shield=unsuccessful this attempt.

Some could be slateted more one way or the other.

...or not.

Hmmm...Not bad,not bad at all.
I do like that idea.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #65 - 01/17/09 at 9:58pm

Do you think making an Unsuccessful Attempt would make it so the Beastmaster gets left out in the cold a bit too often?

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #66 - 01/17/09 at 11:04pm

Biff wrote on 01/17/09 at 9:58pm:
Do you think making an Unsuccessful Attempt would make it so the Beastmaster gets left out in the cold a bit too often?

Not sure what you mean biff?

But if there is a possibility that he would fail his summon call often,I would allow him to attempt it more than once a quest that's for sure.I mean the object of the beastmaster is to allow him to use the animal companions as he is alone in the quests with no other magics or partners.
I just don't want him relying on them all the time.
Or power beasting like always trying to call a polar bear.
Mind you the cards will be shuffled and random so that's not to bad.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #67 - 01/17/09 at 11:31pm

Oh I didn't know he could hold his own.  Granted I didn't read all the previous pages.  I was under the impression he could switch out his beasts as an action, so he'd usually play as 2 Heroes.  If he can hang as a solo dude without always having the companion out then 50/50 success summon rate wouldn't be so bad.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Phoenix
ROCKET CAR!

"Bringing new life, to
a classic game."

TC, IN, USA, Indiana, USA
Reply #68 - 01/18/09 at 10:43am

My only real thought is that, "Yeah, he can communicate with animals and technically he can summon them, but are they always going to be available and/or are they always going to be friendly?"  I just used the combat die as an example of what could be done (while retaining simplicity).  Perhaps some of the 'summoned' animals might be harder or easier to call.

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #69 - 01/18/09 at 11:01am

Yes I like the way you guys have come up with the balance.He will be a solo hero mainly.
He will have a couple of animal companions that he will use often.Things being as they are some will get killed off I'm sure.Others captured or trapped.I wanted him to be able to call forth other animals sometimes.I do not want him relying on always calling powerful animals to bail him out.
So yes I like the alignment possibility with the animals as it is more of a true animal nature.Not all animals are helpful and fluffy....  Grin
Some are just mean and nasty.
I am also thinking of the possibility of creating a chaos beastmaster.
Maybe that is a way to balance him out.
Don't stop the input guys this is all really helpful and he is far from polished.That's why I put him here in discussions.

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #70 - 01/18/09 at 11:22am

Okay a couple more animals...Guys let me know what you think of the stats I'm not to sure if they feel right.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #71 - 01/18/09 at 12:51pm

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is...  finding a ram in a dungeon!  Are you using this guy in custom quests?  If they're custom quests and you are playing in a place that's supposed to be outdoors, instead of in a dungeon, I can see this working.

Otherwise, you could make a set of Dungeon Companions and a set of Wilderness Companions.  The dungeon ones could be like rats, crocs (sewer gators!), gretchin (weren't these like sub-goblins?), giant lizards, like salamanders, giant snakes...

I guess it kinda detracts from being a beastmaster, but it's just a bit funny being in a dungeon and calling on a ram.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #72 - 01/18/09 at 1:41pm

LOL...Of course some will be outside not all the animals will be available all the time.That is funny though...A ram in a dungeon.No What you are saying is correct there will be animals specific quests.I do have snakes,rats,crocs,giant rats,bats,giant snakes...I had skaven and beastnmen but you guys didn't like them you picky bastards...LOL
But yes I do have dungeon animals as well I am trying to stat them up I could just post the pics you guys could throw out stats that would help...  Grin
Some animals will be picked in outside adventure quests then accompany him to the next quest.Much the same as other adventurers go to town to get potions weapons and such if he wants to change his companions he must wait until a quest is over.The animals he can summon in a quest will only be for a couple of rounds to help out and then be gone.
That's why I like the randomness of the alignment thing.And yes they would only be dungeon specific animals.
a good example would be doing the barbarian quest being able to call forward a ram or polar bear but not say a lion or gorilla...Something like that.
Anybody confused yet???...LOL
It seems confusing but will be very simple once finished I think.
Just a little work for zargon to set up in the beginning animals that are allowed in the game before hand...Companions can travel from one quest to the next like mercenaries or partners but animals summoned will return to there dungeons after use.
Haver I rambled on enough...

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #73 - 01/18/09 at 2:12pm

Alright here are a couple of quest specific companion animals;

I think that's all I can do for today I'll post a couple more tomorrow or the next day.
Some giant snakes,giant bats,giant wolves.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #74 - 01/18/09 at 5:30pm

There's a typo for the eagle.  It says "enimies" instead of "enemies".

Biff has a point.  The dungeon setting should influence the creatures summoned.  Some of the dungeons could be caves or connected to caves, making it easier to summon bears or wolves.  Obviously the Polar Bear can be summoned in the Barbarian quest pack.  Smiley

Play testing should guide you as to the percentage of the time that summoning works well, not at all, or summons enemies.  I definitely think that summoning an enemy should be relegated to the black skull result.  Any more than this would probably make it too dangerous to attempt summons.  As to whether you want the successful attempts to be represented by skulls or white shields, that I think depends on how you want it to go and how play testing dictates.

How often can you attempt to summon and how long do the companions last?  Can you attempt to summon a new companion when you already have one out?  Does the old one go away?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #75 - 01/18/09 at 5:43pm

Okay so you do get some companions that stay with you throughout the whole thing.  Dang I should just read the rules you posted before.  Smiley  If that is the case then I think 50/50 chance would work.  White Skull, get your companion, White Shield, nothing, Black Shield, baddie.  I think that should be good.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Kristiaan
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #76 - 02/03/09 at 11:54am

Wolf wrote on 01/18/09 at 5:30pm:
How often can you attempt to summon

answer: Maybe once every 3 rounds? This could be modified when he levels up. Or he can begin the quest with already one compagnon summoned, and after that a 50% chance of summoning another one every round.

and how long do the companions last?  

answer: Animal specific maybe,
ex: bear D6 rounds; eagle D3; wolf D4,....?

Can you attempt to summon a new companion when you already have one out?

answer: Maybe you could stick a "summon value" to each animal, and the total value of animals in play cannot exceed 10. For example: bear 5, rat 1, tiger 4 = total 10 = ok.

Does the old one go away?

answer: Depending on the total summon value in play. And you can always send your compagnon away and summon a new one.

The comments above are just some quick thoughts though, not thoughts thoroughly thought through. Undecided

I very much like how this character developed in this thread btw.
(And I find the movie poster rather arousing.Grin In a non-gay manner of course.)

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #77 - 02/03/09 at 3:54pm

Sorry I guess I pulled a Biff here and have'nt gone back to this guy...LOL
I'll put some stuff up next week and try to fix some stuff that's here.
And wow four pages long before gayness entered...Gotta be a record???

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #78 - 02/03/09 at 9:19pm

Really?  We stayed on topic that long?  We must be slipping in our old age...

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #79 - 02/03/09 at 9:26pm

YOU'RE ALL COCKFAGS!  ALL OF YOU EAT COCKS.  YOU HAVE ALL HAD A MAN'S PENIS IN YOUR MOUTH.  AND SO ON.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print