Send Topic Print
The Beastmaster (Read 24910 times)
fallensaviour
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!
DRILL BLING

winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
The Beastmaster
12/27/08 at 3:29am

Okay I present for your critique/criticism/pleasure.All that I have regarding what I like to use in Hero Quest a character called the Beastmaster...He is based off of the Movie from the 80's starring Marc Singer and not that crap fest of a show from the late 90's.

(This intro is taken from world of warcraft,slightly modified by me.)

The Beastmaster
A beastmaster (aka beast master) is a warrior hero who is able to call forth animals/creatures to help or serve him. These lone wandering dwellers come from all backgrounds and cultures, seeking the company of animals and high adventure.Beast masters are noble warriors, wandering the world and communing with nature. The beastmaster is more at home with wild animals than sapient beings, able to call upon the forces of nature(animals/creatures) to help him. Most beastmasters are mercenaries, but a few work solely for themselves.
The beastmaster is a wilderness warrior who has developed an uncanny rapport with animals. Though truly fearsome in battle, the beastmaster can be quite gentle when dealing with creatures of the wild. A beastmaster typically travels with one or more animal companions such as Hawks,Bears,Wolves,Tigers,Dogs,Rats,etc...who show incredible loyalty to their humanoid friend. Though a beastmaster prefers to spend his time in the wild with his animal companions, he is not averse to venturing into civilized lands when the need arises. As long as animals may be found where he travels, the beastmaster is at home.
A beastmaster can use body language, vocalizations, and demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal (such as a bear or a giant lizard). The beastmaster may comprehend and communicate with animals and magical beasts.

These are the stats and abilities that I have come up with.Feel free to suggest anything different I know the combat dice is a little redundant but that's all I got.
The abilities could be replaced by cards to be used like spells however you wanna or don't wanna use it.

The Beastmaster ; Stats
Attack : 3
Defend : 2
Body : 7
Mind : 3

Starting weapon : Broadsword
Starting Armour : None
Movement : 2D6

Beastmaster Abilities ;

SIGHT- Able to see through the eyes of animal companions.The beasmaster rolls one combat die,any roll except a black skull is a success.The beastmaster may see what the animal sees for  1D6 + BM mind points  minutes/turns.If the beastmaster fails his roll he is penalized with limited ability to see for 1D6 minutes/turns.Penalty to sight is equal to half his movement for duration of penalty. (example= BM rolls 2D6 for movement equaling 8 he may only see 4 squares ahead of himself.)

EMPATHY- A Beastmaster may absorb an animals pain or wounds.Taking two body points damage.For every 1 body point healed to an animal.Once per turn to a maximum times equal to the BM’s mind points.Per day.The BM rolls one combat die any roll other than a black skull is a success.

CONTROL- A Beastmaster  may try to control animals/beasts for up to 1D6 + BM’s mind points = minutes/turns controlled.
The Bm rolls one combat die for any animal with less mind points than himself.
The Bm rolls combat dice equal to his mind points on Animals/beasts equal to his mind points.
The BM rolls combat dice equal to his mind points plus one extra combat die for every mind point the animal/beast has more than the BM.
Success is anything other than a black skull on the total of all dice used.If the BM fails on any dice he has failed control attempt.
In the event of a failed attempt the animal/beast gain one extra combat die while attacking the Beastmaster.As a focused attack on the Beastmaster due to a failed telepathic link.
Hybrid beasts such as skaven,Lizardmen,Chaos Beastmen…others of this type may try to resist the beastmaster using combat dice equal to their mind points.They must roll one black skull on any of their combat dice to stop the Beastmasters attempt.They do not receive the extra combat die attack bonus.

SUMMON – A Beastmaster may summon one animal/beast per mind point he has.
Animal/beast must be within 12 squares + Beastmaster mind points.
(example…12 +BM MP equal 3 = total summoning distance 15 squares/spaces.)
Again rolling one combat die succeeding on any roll other than a black skull.

UNOTICED/SNEAK – A Beastmaster may try to pass by guard/watch animals/beasts unnoticed by rolling combat dice equal to his mind points.Success is anything other than a black skull.
Or treat the same as confusion spell.

Well that's all I got any suggestions are welcome name changes to abilities what ever you wanna throw out there.Also if any body could make a hero card like the Hq originals that would be awesome as I'm a tard when it comes to computer graphics and stuff like that.This could be a cool pic for the backs of cards or on the hero card this is from the DVD image.not sure if its a Boris or what.

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Re: The Beastmaster
Reply #1 - 12/27/08 at 3:35am

Actually I can see that it is not a Boris now still can't read it though.
Oh well let me know what you think I forgot to mention that for that classic HQ fig feel I use a barbarian fig with blonde hair,Polar war bear head on yeti body (to use as a bear)
wolf (from EQ) two rats added to an original figure base.I would love to show pics but my camera is fubared right now.

IP Logged

starfighter
I AM NOT HERBERT!

meh

USA, north america, MI, Michigan, Michigan, USA
Reply #2 - 12/27/08 at 9:19am

i like the idea but might be too many rules for my liking but hey thats me. still good idea, and do you have rules for animal enemiesfor the control ability i would like to see stats for those.

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #3 - 12/28/08 at 2:04am

starfighter wrote on 12/27/08 at 9:19am:
i like the idea but might be too many rules for my liking but hey that's me. still good idea, and do you have rules for animal enemies for the control ability i would like to see stats for those.

What do you mean by rules for control?
Rules are the same as control spell,basically when in control you control that animal or beast for duration of control attack/defend/movement.Is that what you meant?

IP Logged

starfighter
I AM NOT HERBERT!

meh

USA, north america, MI, Michigan, Michigan, USA
Reply #4 - 12/28/08 at 11:20am

no i was just wondering if you created stats for animals as enemies or you just use this on orcs goblins things like that

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #5 - 12/28/08 at 12:09pm

Oh I see what you mean then.I have found animal stats from various sources on the forums and in the quest books.Animals such as wolves,rats,bears,yetis,skaven,lizardmen,beastmen,bats...and more.
You just have to look around.
One source I use is and I hope I get this right, Flints beastiary.
I hope I gave the right person credit there.
This should not be used on orcs and goblins as far as I'm concerned.
I'm of the thought that orcs are an elf off shoot,like LOTR.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #6 - 12/29/08 at 2:55am

But Skaven, lizardmen, and beastmen(?) are sentient creatures.  I wouldn't imagine he'd be able to control them.  I'd just stick to non-sentient creatures for his abilities.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #7 - 12/29/08 at 11:30am

Wolf wrote on 12/29/08 at 2:55am:
But Skaven, lizardmen, and beastmen(?) are sentient creatures.  I wouldn't imagine he'd be able to control them.  I'd just stick to non-sentient creatures for his abilities.

Ya I went back and forth on them a few times should he be able to,should he not....Then I settled on the fact that they are half animal so yes he should,however they have higher chance to resist.Maybe I could make the effects halved as well.Or just drop it entirely I'm not sure.I'll see what others think.thanks for the input.

IP Logged

scherazade
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #8 - 12/29/08 at 1:44pm

I would argue that his stats be the following:

Attack: 3 (starting weapon Broadsword)
Defend: 2
Body: 6
Mind: 4

This way the Barbarian doesn't point at the Beastmaster and ask why he has only one less body point and multiple spell-like abilities. I would also suggest that his abilities not be static, that they actually be one time use spells, otherwise he simply comes off as too strong. He should also be limited to 3 or the Elf would come off as too weak by comparison as well. I would recommend the spells be worded as such as well:

CONTROL - "This spell puts any one Monster under the Beastmaster's control. The spell can be broken immediately or on a future turn by Zargon rolling one red die for each of the monster's mind points. If a 6 is rolled, the spell is broken and that monster rolls 1 additional combat die on it's next attack."

SUMMON ANIMALS - "This spell calls forth animals to aid the spellcaster. Roll 1 red die: Roll a 1, 2, 3= 2 ferrets; Roll a 4 or 5= a falcon; a 6= a tiger." (Ferrets can move quickly, an Eagle can move through enemies, and tiger is a powerhouse.)

SNEAK- "This spell may only be cast on the Beastmaster, allowing him to move unseen through spaces occupied by monsters. Any monster being moved through rolls 1 red die for each of his mind points, on a 6 the spell ends. The Beastmaster may not attack while sneaking and may cancel the spell at any time."

SIGHT - (This is really not necessary, you already see what your allies in game see without being near them, so just let the animals from SUMMON ANIMALS scout for the Beastmaster.)

EMPATHY - (This is a mixed bag while I can see that the flavor of the Beastmaster makes this feel necessary, I think ultimately it is a waste of a spell since you could already use healing potions or have the Elf/Wizard heal your summons for you.)

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #9 - 12/29/08 at 2:14pm

scherazade wrote on 12/29/08 at 1:44pm:
I would argue that his stats be the following:

Attack: 3 (starting weapon Broadsword)
Defend: 2
Body: 6
Mind: 4

This way the Barbarian doesn't point at the Beastmaster and ask why he has only one less body point and multiple spell-like abilities. I would also suggest that his abilities not be static, that they actually be one time use spells, otherwise he simply comes off as too strong. He should also be limited to 3 or the Elf would come off as too weak by comparison as well. I would recommend the spells be worded as such as well:
I can see your point here,I do not want them to be 1 time use spells though.That's why I was thinking mind points three and that would equal how many abilities the beast master would have.Not sure if I explained that.But yes perhaps only used once per quest.I wanted him to come off a little more powerful as he is designed to be used as a solo hero.So I wanted him to be combination of the elf and the barbarian.

Quote:
CONTROL - "This spell puts any one Monster under the Beastmaster's control. The spell can be broken immediately or on a future turn by Zargon rolling one red die for each of the monster's mind points. If a 6 is rolled, the spell is broken and that monster rolls 1 additional combat die on it's next attack."

I don't want him to be able to control monsters such as orcs,goblins,undead and monsters such as that.

Quote:
SUMMON ANIMALS - "This spell calls forth animals to aid the spellcaster. Roll 1 red die: Roll a 1, 2, 3= 2 ferrets; Roll a 4 or 5= a falcon; a 6= a tiger." (Ferrets can move quickly, an Eagle can move through enemies, and tiger is a powerhouse.)

I like this.

Quote:
SNEAK- "This spell may only be cast on the Beastmaster, allowing him to move unseen through spaces occupied by monsters. Any monster being moved through rolls 1 red die for each of his mind points, on a 6 the spell ends. The Beastmaster may not attack while sneaking and may cancel the spell at any time."

I really like this one,but again I don't want him using this on orcs,goblins ,undead,fimirs.....monsters of that nature.

Quote:
SIGHT - (This is really not necessary, you already see what your allies in game see without being near them, so just let the animals from SUMMON ANIMALS scout for the Beastmaster.)

I was thinking of parts of the board that have not been revealed yet.Again he is to be a solo hero so he has no others anywhere on the board.

Quote:
EMPATHY - (This is a mixed bag while I can see that the flavor of the Beastmaster makes this feel necessary, I think ultimately it is a waste of a spell since you could already use healing potions or have the Elf/Wizard heal your summons for you.)

Ah yes this is one I was iffy on as well but again as a solo hero you have no elf/wizard.potions perhaps.You are right though this one is more for flavour but I really like it.

Thanks very much for the input.I really appreciate it.I thought that there would be a little more input from this opinionated bunch but I guess not...LOL
Come on guys what do you like or not like?
Any other spells or abilities you can suggest.
Should they be spell cards/Beastmaster cards.I like the aspect of a beastmaster card as it does stay in the hero quest flavour of play.
Come on boys step up lets here it really does it just plain suck ass,or do ya like it?

IP Logged

scherazade
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #10 - 12/29/08 at 2:53pm

I have made changes to the below. Before I make these cards for you, you should collect a list of every animal that counts as an animal to the Beastmaster. I can put that on his card (his will need to be slightly larger.) That way no confusion is raised between Zargon and the Beastmaster over which Monsters are susceptible to his abilities. To make this clear in the copy I have replaced all instances of "Monster" with "Animal". I would also insist that these be one time use, or the Beastmaster will just keep using them until he gets it right, there must always be the risk and detriment of failure in order for something to feel rewarding.

I would also begin any quest used only for the Beastmaster with an annotation saying such, much as the solo quest in the elf and barbarian quest packs do.

If used in a group quest the Beastmaster is, by default, strong enough to count as two other characters and should thus count as such.

---

CONTROL - "This spell puts any one Animal under the Beastmaster's control. The spell can be broken immediately or on a future turn by Zargon rolling one red die for each of the monster's mind points. If a 6 is rolled, the spell is broken and that monster rolls 1 additional combat die on it's next attack."

SNEAK- "This spell may only be cast on the Beastmaster, allowing him to move unseen through spaces occupied by animals. Any Animal being moved through rolls 1 red die for each of his mind points, on a 6 the spell ends. The Beastmaster may not attack while sneaking and may cancel the spell at any time."

ANIMAL SIGHT - "You may ask Zargon to reveal the contents of the closest room that contains an Animal."

ANIMAL EMPATHY - "This spell may be cast on any one Animal. The animal may heal up to 4 lost body points but may not gain more than its starting number."

IP Logged

scherazade
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #11 - 12/30/08 at 11:54am

I still don't know if I agree with the power level you plan to use but who am I to prevent you from using a character from your own mind?

I seem to be having trouble displaying 2 of the images. Try visiting here:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/scherazade99/

it may allow you to yoink them from there, if not let me know and I can email it to you.

IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #12 - 12/30/08 at 1:48pm

I think I figured out the pic problem.
I really like the way you have laid these out.
They are going to work very well.You are right though his card will be a lot bigger.I am thinking maybe dropping those specific animals from his card.That way you can have a more personalized beastmaster by picking your own companions.
Yes looking at his stats on card does make him look powerful.I'm still not sure how I feel about that...?
I want him to be on line with the barbarian but perhaps I need to rethink it a little more.The card backs are perfect.
Thanks so much for all your input.You have been a great help!!!

IP Logged

Mortimer
ROCKET CAR!

The one, the only, Stephen
Baker

New Zealand, New Zealand
Reply #13 - 12/30/08 at 8:07pm

Strength of a Panther? ... Courage of an Eagle?

...er ... are Eagles all that courageous? ... I guess panthers are no push overs, but I could think of stronger animals.

That description reminds of some old 80's cartoon, the name of which escapes me but the theme tune was stuff like that.

http://www.freewebs.com/mortimerkhan/index.htm go here for all your monsterous needs ... well most of your monsterous needs!
IP Logged

scherazade
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #14 - 12/31/08 at 7:06am

Mortimer wrote on 12/30/08 at 8:07pm:
Strength of a Panther? ... Courage of an Eagle?

...er ... are Eagles all that courageous? ... I guess panthers are no push overs, but I could think of stronger animals.

That description reminds of some old 80's cartoon, the name of which escapes me but the theme tune was stuff like that.

"Born with the courage of an Eagle, the strength of a black tiger, and the power of a God," is the tagline for the movie the Beastmaster. I just changed it a bit since the tiger looks more like a panther on the italian movie poster that I found for the artwork. Better to keep people from asking questions.

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/31/08 at 7:48am

It apparently didn't work....

IP Logged

john
ROCKET CAR!

I Love games !!

Henderson, North Carolina, USA
Reply #16 - 01/02/09 at 9:13pm

Not in this group ! Grin Grin Grin 8)

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #17 - 01/03/09 at 4:51am

Er... it takes a lot of courage to jump off cliffs and tall trees, and eagles do it all the time.  Yeah, they can fly, but...

They probably said "Black tiger" instead of "Panther" because tigers are much larger and stronger than panthers.

One thing that can cut down on the amount of information on the character card with regards to the companion animals would be to create a set of Beastmaster Companion cards similar to the Monster cards that came with HQ, and all the info for those animals can be on the individual cards.  This would allow those animals to also be used as monsters if you wanted, and if you wanted to personalize individual beastmasters, you can make a whole set of animals and let the player choose 3 before each adventure, similar to an Elf choosing 3 spells from among the 8 Elf spells.  I would even encourage the player's choice on which animal to summon using the spell.

SIGHT makes a lot more sense to allow the player to see into an otherwise inaccessible room.  Allowing only companion animals wouldn't make much sense, since zargon/morcar would automatically be revealing any parts of the board that the animals were entering anyway.  Yeah, so my remarks are late, but I just wanted to reinforce that it's a good change.

Last -- Now, I haven't watched the Beastmaster movie in like 20 years and I never watched the show, but didn't he use the ferrets in the movie one time to crawl under a door and unlock it or something?  I recall him using the ferrets for subterfuge rather than combat, so maybe they could have some sort of function like that instead.  Of course, this could turn the Summon card into something like the Genie card... "Cause a lot of damage with the tiger or summon the ferrets to open a door..."  Yeah, nobody ever uses the genie to open a door, but I'm just saying...

The Administrator.
IP Logged

fallensaviour
DRILL BLING

Reply #18 - 01/04/09 at 1:53pm

Wolf wrote on 01/03/09 at 4:51am:
One thing that can cut down on the amount of information on the character card with regards to the companion animals would be to create a set of Beastmaster Companion cards similar to the Monster cards that came with HQ, and all the info for those animals can be on the individual cards.  This would allow those animals to also be used as monsters if you wanted, and if you wanted to personalize individual beastmasters, you can make a whole set of animals and let the player choose 3 before each adventure, similar to an Elf choosing 3 spells from among the 8 Elf spells.  I would even encourage the player's choice on which animal to summon using the spell.

This is an awesome Idea thanks for the input!!!
I like this very much that is more of the feel I had wanted actually the ability to customize the beastmaster with different animals.So yes doing the animals up with animal cards similar to monster cards makes perfect sense thanks again.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

Reply #19 - 01/05/09 at 1:20pm

No problem.  Glad I could help.   Smiley

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print