Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 10:35am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Cheap 3D foam dungeons (Pics posted on last page) (Read 134168 times)
Ranthalion75
I AM NOT HERBERT!

To each his own boys,
I likes mine... RAW!

Martin, Tennessee, USA
Re: Cheap 3D foam dungeons (Pics posted on last page)
Reply #140 - 03/07/11 at 3:05pm

Awesome!  Wish I could paint that well!

I'd be afraid that my foam dungeons would get poked or punctured and have to be repainted.

WWW Ranthalion75  
IP Logged

CanadaGuy1959
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #141 - 05/13/11 at 7:54am

Absolutely Stunning !!!

You should make & sell these Smiley
Or at the very least produce a step-by-step guide book... I'd buy it Smiley

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #142 - 05/13/11 at 9:36am

Yeah I'd love to be able to do this.  Unfortunately I can't find the foam anywhere, not even a place that sells it online.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #143 - 05/13/11 at 9:51am

Really, it's readily available at lowe's and home depot.

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #144 - 05/13/11 at 9:57am

Maybe this will help

Lifted from a modeling blog.

Quote:
Blue/Pink foam
The “Holy Grail” of modeling: you can do almost everything with this material. Lightweight, tough, durable, ideal for crafting terrain such a hills and cliffs, making gaming boards, even buildings and bases. It doesn’t warp, is relatively light and can be worked easily with a hot-wire cutter, hot-knife, sawn and even cut with a sharp knife. When heated and even when sanded vigorously these materials will give off toxic and noxious fumes. As such always wear a fume-mask or work somewhere very well ventilated. Breathing in the powder after sanding is also a hazard.
People have terrific difficulty getting hold of these materials almost entirely because of them traditionally being called “Pink or Blue Foam” which is, sadly, now an obsolete term.
Pink/Blue foam is actually EXTRUDED Polystyrene. This is a closed-cell extruded form of polystyrene that is commonly known by the trade name of “Styrofoam”. Just as most people call a vacuum-cleaner a “Hoover” Extruded Polystyrene is called “Styrofoam”.

Now Styrofoam comes in many guises, it comes in different colours and different thicknesses and different densities. Colour can be largely ignored – it isn’t important anymore and very few of the companies that can supply Styrofoam will even know what you mean by “Pink or Blue Foam”. If you see foam that is blue or pink it can easily be something completely different and totally useless: what you need to know about is Density.
The density of Styrofoam for the modeller essentially means how “hard” it is: the denser the foam the harder (and heavier) it is. The original (blue) Styrofoam has a density of 32kg/m3 and this forms the benchmark for modeling: anything less dense than this can be too soft, anything more dense can be fine… right up to 200kg/m3 foam which is used to make surfboard blanks!

To find the right foam near to you search Google for “Styrofoam” or “Underfloor Insulation” and find a local stockist – Phone them up and check the density of the styrofoam, forget the colour and don’t worry about the tradename it is sold as. Here are a few trade names that may help you locate a supplier though:
Styrofoam LBX / DOW Styrofoam IB (UK/USA/Eur/Aus/NZ)
Floormate (UK)
Foamular (USA/Oz)
Styrodur (Europe)
Roofmate (France)
De-Q-cell (Germany)

Honestly if you just go to lowes and ask for the pink/blue styrofoam used for flooring install you will probably be directed to it.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #145 - 05/13/11 at 10:23am

I was at the lowe's website, and they listed the stuff, but when I put in my address to check the price at the local store, it took the items off the list and only left expanded (not extruded) foam board.  The five nearest stores it gave me, they said they didn't carry them.

Hopefully the site's just lying to me.  I literally spent a couple of hours trying to track the stuff online.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

darkmagician66699
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

I'll use my BOOM-Stick
on you primates!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Reply #146 - 10/19/11 at 2:38pm

Everything looks so damn awesome!

If any one of you primitive screw-heads even tries to touch me, I'll use my boom-stick on you!
Shop "SMART".
Shop "S"-Mart!

IP Logged

benvoliothefirst
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Sacramento, California, USA
Reply #147 - 02/27/12 at 2:44pm

Some beautiful work done here. I'm jealous of both the time put into this and the final product. Looking forward to more updates!

My Vampire Counts Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
IP Logged

Ampersand
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I LOVE SKULLS

uk, United Kingdom
Reply #148 - 03/21/12 at 1:43pm

HOLY SHIT!!!!! how did i miss these?
fuckin awesome job man. very inspiring.
id make some myself but i can never seem to find that foam stuff anywhere. nor would i have any sace to keep them.
i may have to borrow an idea or three tho for my advanced heroquest tiles Smiley
top marks all round

IP Logged

Heroquestelf
ROCKET CAR!
A MAGENTA PUPPY!!!

Die Hard Fan

spartangburg, sc, South Carolina, USA
Reply #149 - 03/22/12 at 6:53am

So if this is the last page, where are the pictures?

God, I can be a jackass when I want to be.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print