Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
12/14/18 at 6:09am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
About colored HQ-dice (Read 44148 times)
Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Germany,  Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
About colored HQ-dice
12/18/07 at 12:25am

acoriano3 asked in the other thread:
Quote:
I just noticed that the Black Orc rolls blue dice from the post you translated.....sounds like a neat idea, but it seems like it could be a bit over complex unless planned ahead really well so that a player doesn't get too good too fast. I guess you have to find a good balance of increasing the number of dice one can roll as opposed altering which color they're supposed to roll

Flint-could you explain how the probabilities work and how you decide whether to give a character MORE dice to roll or CHANGE which color dice he rolls.

Hi, lads, here are some thoughts about the colored dice we use in our community:

The colored dice gives us the opportunity to adjust much finer the balance between weapons, weaponskill and outer influences like rust, jagged blades and so on.

As stated before, monsters and especially big bosses throw blue dice for the better defence:

With their 2 black shields, they give the shaman or warlord a better chance to cast at least 2 of the four or six spells he owns befor he gets fucked. Lets face it, the heros are stronger (in most cases) and are better equipped. With the blue dice, the bad guy lives longer.

Also we've got the green ones. These dice are mainly for defence purposes and to decrease weapon effictivity or skill:

The green dice are having 3 white shields but only two skulls. Perfect dice for a wizard, who shall have better defence but shall not hit harder than a Barbarian.

Last but not least there are the black ones:
4 skulls and 2 white shields, THE powerdice for brutal attacks.

Here are a few examples, what we do with the dice:

1.  Unarmed Battle

A Hero with no weapon fights with only one green dice. A wizard has no dice, he is no good fighter. The Barbarian ALWAYS has a extra (white) dice, which make im a good fighter without arms.

2.  Rust

A hero searches for treasures an find rust. Immediately his weapon is decreased in its effictivity, the hero has to use grenn dices for the rest of the quest. After that he has to to the blacksmith and pay 100.

3. Jagged Blade

A hero picks up a card or searches a furniture. The cards name is "Jagged blade". From then on, he has to replace
one of his white dice with a green one.

4. Magic weapon oil

You buy a magical weapon oil and you pay 150 gold. It lasts for one quest. With this oil you can replace one of your white dice with a black one. If you face rust or jagged blade, the weapon oil avoids the green dice but looses its power, you are again playing with white dice.

5. Spells

With the colored dice I have more (and different) ways to adjust power of casted spells.

http://www.hq-cooperation.de/zubehoer/gildenzauber/gildenzauber_3.jpg

With this spell, the wizard gets two extra green dice. The spell lasts until the wizard looses one body point.

http://www.hq-cooperation.de/zubehoer/gildenzauber/gildenzauber_6.jpg

With the "Staff of Dragonfire" you can attack a monster with 4 black dice. Can be casted once in a quest.

These are just 2 examples, I have plenty more. You see, it is not turning all dice into green or black its more changing one ore two or even three.

6. Potions

The heros can buy a potion before the quest. For example the barbarian drinks his potion and can now make an extra attack with only black dice, or he can (with an other potion) gain one black dice extra, as long as there are monsters in sight. Another example is a defence-drink, 1 green extra or maybe two. Or a reroll. There are a million combinations Smiley

My players love the colored dice. They give the game a deeper spirit and more logic. How can a Barbarian with a longsword attack with the same effectivity as an Elf ?

That are my thoughts about our dice. I love them as well  Grin
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit on May 268th, 2008

There are new combat dice available:

The purple dice:

Purple dice are sort of special magical supllement for a special potion or weapon. I would suggest to replace one white with a purple one. The symbols on the purple ones are: :

2 skulls
1 double-skull (new: loss of 2 bodypoints with one die)
1 white shield
1 double-white-shield (new: 2 defences with one die)
1 black shield

The orange dice:

Orange dice are also sort of special magical supllement for a special potion or weapon. Additional they are a very good defence dice for the "evil wicked" with their double-black-shield. The faces on the symbols are:

1 skull
2 double-skull (new: loss of 2 bodypoints with one die)
1 double-white-shield (new: 2 defences with one die)
1 double-black-shield (new: 2 defences with one die)
1 black shield

« Last Edit: 05/28/08 at 1:27am by Flint »  
WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Re: About colored HQ-dice
Reply #1 - 12/18/07 at 9:04am

Can I come play at your house?

IP Logged

acoriano3
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Anyone else wanna Bust
the BCS?

Reply #2 - 12/18/07 at 9:11am

This is a GREAT idea!!! Now you make me want to go create my own colored dice!

Let me get this straight.

BLUE
2 skulls
2 white shields
2 black shields

GREEN
2 skulls
3 white shields
1 black shield

BLACK
4 skulls
2 white shields

I recall seeing some RED dice. What is their ratio?

Also, what kind of dice did your starting weapons and armor use so we can compare it to what we're used to? Did the shield simply ADD another white dice in defense, ADD a green dice in defense, or did it CHANGE a white dice to a green? Did the wizard's starting dagger use 1 white or did you change it to green to show his low effectiveness in melee combat?

Everyday of our lives we are faced with situations that test the very mettle of our soul; it's in such moments that we discover how much MP we have, how resistant we are to the forces of CHAOS!

IP Logged

Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Reply #3 - 12/18/07 at 9:37am

@ Ogre: You can come whenever you want to  Grin Arizona does not seem to be so far away...

@ Blue dice: not really. Its 3 skulls, 2 black shields and 1 white shield.

@ Red dice: they are exactly the same as the white ones and were supposed to be for the Game Master. But they are difficult to see, the symbols are some faded gold.

A hero always start and plays wizh white dice, and gain extra power only via magic. Mostly green defence dice are added.

The wizard dagger is also white although I always prefer a wizard with a staff, which is also one dice. If I tell you why, you are going to kill me. I completly cleaned up the magic-system its....no you will kill me...  Grin

WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - 12/18/07 at 10:30am

What we really want of course, is a new rule book written by flint.

IP Logged

acoriano3
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Anyone else wanna Bust
the BCS?

Reply #5 - 12/18/07 at 11:53am

C'mon, Flint, let us in on your little secret. I personally think the HQ Magic System could do with a lot of tweaking so that the Wizard doesn't remain the weakest member of the party throughout the ENTIRE game. It's tough, though, cause so many people have tried to adjust it, but many of them ended up making the Wizard TOO powerful that it was just ridiculous.

Just FYI-Ogre lives in Jonesboro, AR (AR is the abbreviation for Arkansas, AZ is for Arizona  Wink)

Everyday of our lives we are faced with situations that test the very mettle of our soul; it's in such moments that we discover how much MP we have, how resistant we are to the forces of CHAOS!

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/18/07 at 12:40pm

It's a very common mistake... even in the US.

And I would not know the first thing about the geography of other countrys... so it's really not even worth mentioning.

IP Logged

Jason
TWENTY FOUR CREDIT CARDS!

Don't mind this phrase;
the signature is better.

Reply #7 - 12/18/07 at 1:20pm

Flint, ever thought about compiling the files that are on your site for one complete download?  It would make downloading all of the content on your site much easier for the public and also help keep it organized for the downloader.

When you don't like your job, you don't quit, you don't go on strike. You go in there EVERY DAY and do it really HALF ASS!&&- Homer Simpson
IP Logged

Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Reply #8 - 12/18/07 at 2:34pm

@ Ogre: I'm sorry, and thank you for your kind words. That's only, because Arkansas has no ML- Baseball-Team, or do they ?

*outing mode*
I LOVE baseball
*outing mode off*

Your still welcome Smiley

Jason, are you kidding ? Its all written in german  Grin

Who the fuck might be interested in this over-complicated language ?

@ Magic system: I warned you....you are going to kill me.

I do an ROUGHLY information tomorrow.

WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

Jason

Don't mind this phrase;
the signature is better.

Reply #9 - 12/18/07 at 2:41pm

Well, I understand that, but translation can be decently simple with an online translator (somewhat accurate), and the artwork is great.

When you don't like your job, you don't quit, you don't go on strike. You go in there EVERY DAY and do it really HALF ASS!&&- Homer Simpson
IP Logged

Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Reply #10 - 12/18/07 at 2:49pm

The new Magic-system has something to do with this:

Like I told you...a bit complicated.

WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

acoriano3
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Anyone else wanna Bust
the BCS?

Reply #11 - 12/18/07 at 3:09pm

Jason--
Yes, online translators are DECENTLY SIMPLE, but are SIMPLY AWFUL at getting the correct meaning almost half the time. For example, if someone who doesn't know English wants to know the meaning of the word "right" the default is usually right as in correct...but what about those cases when they mean "right" as in the direction? So you then change the word and try "just", meaning just as in right or fair. The default is usually "just" as in the adverb that's interchangeable with "only" (I just wanted to know; I only wanted to know). See what I mean? There's no way to distinguish between the two "rights" or "justs" with automated translators and sometimes it can really screw up an entire document as you're not able to find the original problematic word.

Flint--
It doesn't look that complicated at all.....just an embellished, over glorified, fantasy-themed game of horse shoes, that's all. No, seriously, I have NO CLUE how you incorporate those things into spellcasting. Unfortunately it'll have to wait until tomorrow..... Sad...... Cry

IP Logged

Lotus

You're all dumb

Reply #12 - 12/18/07 at 3:43pm

My Guess:

The rings are related to the spell types that can be cast.  As you cast spells you move them from the pile to the post meaning they are no longer available.  So you can use a spell as often as you choose, but if you run out of mana you are out of spells.

Red - Fire
Blue - Water
Green - Earth
Invisible - Air
Black - Chaos?

IP Logged

Plow565
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #13 - 12/18/07 at 4:38pm

How did you make these dice?  they are incredible!

That is not dead which can eternal lie;&&and with strange Aeons even death may die.
Philtheepill  
IP Logged

Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Reply #14 - 12/20/07 at 12:11am

Plow, I did not make them, I bought them. One of our HQ-Mates (Jack) has a shop and sells toys. He once sended the pictures to a dice-factory and they made him 1000 each. He started selling them.
You could buy them as well, but the money transfer from outside of europe is very expensive. Sending the dice would not be the problem. If 10 or so guys would work together and one would order the lot, there would be no problem. Jack sends the package to one adress and that guy send the dice to the other people.

What to do, if you have no clored dice ? Easy. Take normal white ones an do the following:

For Green dice in attack: The Hero succeeds with white shield
For Green dice in defence: The Hero succeeds in defence with Skulls
Blue Dice in Defence: The Monster succeeds in defence with white shields
Black Dice in attack: Throw a W6 and hit the monster on a 3+ (3-6)

If you have to mix dice, like in 3 green dice and one white (barbarian with a rusted blade plus one extra dye, you have to seperate the throws.

WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

berend_jan
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Gimme a Quest ya fool

Reply #15 - 12/20/07 at 12:59am

Put some nice stickers on a D6 could work also verry nice...

WWW 17744225  
IP Logged

Jason

Don't mind this phrase;
the signature is better.

Reply #16 - 12/20/07 at 2:43pm

berend_jan wrote on 12/20/07 at 12:59am:
Put some nice stickers on a D6 could work also verry nice...

That's very true, but I really like the rounded edges on the HQ dice.  Does anyone know if they even make dice like that?

IP Logged

Plow565
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #17 - 12/20/07 at 2:43pm

what about paypal?  does he accept paypal, the cost can be minimized that way.

That is not dead which can eternal lie;&&and with strange Aeons even death may die.
Philtheepill  
IP Logged

Flint
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Flint Eisenbart

Reply #18 - 12/20/07 at 3:29pm

dunno. I'm going to ask, but I believe not.

WWW 238714969  
IP Logged

acoriano3
INVERTED VERTEBRAE!

Anyone else wanna Bust
the BCS?

Reply #19 - 12/21/07 at 9:11am

Jason, I've been hunting around for custom dice makers and here's what I've found--

www.customdice.com -- a branch of www.gamestation.net
This one looks like it focuses more on business promoting (apparently businesses put their logo or name on dice and it's the up-and-coming advertising method instead of pens and business cards). They could probably make HQ custom dice, but to me it looks like it'd be more expensive...cause they don't even show prices, they only give quotes by phone or email.

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Custom_Dice_Home.htm
I like this one A LOT better. Not only do they give you base prices so you get a rough idea of the range the charge, but they've got sample pictures of the different kinds of dice you can choose from AND they make them in reasonably small quantities too. Most places need some mass printing of 1000 or something to make it worth their while, which is why I imagine that Flint & Co. had to order 1000 just to get the ones they wanted (although it sounds like there might be that many Germans that belong to his HQ gaming group!)

10-25 dice: $1.00 per side
26-99 dice: $0.75 per side
100-199 dice: $0.60 per side
200-499 dice: $0.50 per side
500-999 dice: $0.42 per side
1000+: please ask for quotes

Those are the only two that looked worthwhile. Anybody else know of some custom dice-making companies?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print