Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 10:22am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print
Hi all & another re-write (Read 121842 times)
Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

The Dollar $ign of DOOM!!

Top Floor of the Mohawk Mall, Rhode Island, USA
Re: Hi all & another re-write
Reply #720 - 11/28/14 at 11:25am

The Gargoyle's US stats are Body 3, Mind 4; you have these values flipped. Is that intentional?

Interesting take on the Chaos Sorcerer and White Seer. I would not have thought to give them innate magical Ranged attacks, but it definitely fits them flavor-wise. 7 Mind for the White Seer, though? That seems overly high...

They don't call me "Count" Mohawk just 'cause I tell 'em to!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Reply #721 - 11/28/14 at 12:37pm

Mohawk wrote on 11/28/14 at 11:25am:
The Gargoyle's US stats are Body 3, Mind 4; you have these values flipped. Is that intentional?

I had that, but I was convince I had it back-to-front. I corrected the correct stats it seemed...

Mohawk wrote on 11/28/14 at 11:25am:
Interesting take on the Chaos Sorcerer and White Seer. I would not have thought to give them innate magical Ranged attacks, but it definitely fits them flavor-wise. 7 Mind for the White Seer, though? That seems overly high...

Yeah, I'll fix that typo.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #722 - 11/28/14 at 7:57pm

I just had a thought. You are giving the Chaos-aligned wizards innate Ranged attacks of at least two dice. The Chaos Spell "Skulls of Doom"'s only effect is a simple Ranged attack with power 2, which makes it entirely useless to any caster that has it. What it best to be done to fix the spell?

(My brother and I suggest the Hero should probably suffer some kind of additional debilitating effect above and beyond the damage, such as missing a turn, being forced to run away or even losing Mind Points.)

Edit: Also, your Rust card does not have the "non-Artifact" clause seen on the Thieving Wind spell.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #723 - 11/29/14 at 12:46am

Both good shouts, I'll get right on this!

Although a Fire Ring, or Anti-Poison Quill, or Venom Antidote, won't protect you from Skulls of Doom...

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #724 - 11/30/14 at 4:10am

Well, that's the basic cards all done. Still need a second pass through for any errors, non-bolded abilities, etc.
(and any furtehr errors Mohawk finds Tongue)

There are sized to prnt via Artscow as mini cards, save for the Hero Cards. Many other POD sites do "tarot" (3.5"x5") cards for the Hero Cards.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #725 - 11/30/14 at 11:35am

I went through all the various cards one more time to look for any other inconsistencies:

The Treasure Card Wolfsbane Extract is missing its artwork, although the Potion card itself is not.
The Hero Spell Control Fiend still has the card text of Clairvoyance.
The Chaos Spell Raise Dead does not require discarding the card. Is that intentional?
Rust can destroy non-Relic Metal Artifacts (if any exist, that is).
The effect of Shield of Protection does not end at end of turn, which it did on the original card.
Skulls of Doom... exists.  ShitColoredGlasses
Why is Thieving Wind Water elemental? Shouldn't it be Air?
In general, which Keywords need to be bolded?
On the Bow of Living Wood, Orc's Bane and Ratslayer, should Rage 1 be bolded?
What about Spellcraft on the Circlet of Sorcery, Ring of Enchantment and Water Ring of Brilliance?
Rod of Growth's third ability has two shield icons; it should properly show just one.
The Wizard's Staff's third ability should say Ranged 2 rather than Melee 2.

Good choice when making the Daemon's stat line. At only 2 Attack he was too gimpy. Being able to deal Spirit Damage is also a nice perk.
Fimir have 3 Mind Points, not 2.
Polar Warbears had 4 Body and 2 Mind in their previous incarnation; you have them at 3 and 6, which I suspect you copied off of the Chaos Sorcerer accidentally.
Good choice on buffing Rat Ogres to 4 Attack.
Yeti used to have 2 Defend but also had 2 Mind. The increase to 4 Defend is OK, although 3/4 is a rather common stat line for many of your monsters.
What do Gargoyles do that hits for exactly 1 Ranged? (Also, why just Ranged 1 on a figure with 4 base Attack?)
The White Seer still has 7 Mind. When you go back to change that you may also want to consider if they deserve a third Body Point or not.
Interesting choice giving Scouts a sling option. That fits with their high move, however.
You renamed the Helmet and Shield? I wouldn't have thought this change warranted given the generic names of many of the other Armory items.
Heavy Robes has no picture, and the word Heavy is not bold.
Platemail should add three Defend dice, not two.
Quarterstaff has a colon where it doesn't need one in between the sword icon and the white die.
Is there a real need for both a Sling and a Hand Bow if both weapons are Ranged 1?

The word Lore on Memory's Essence should be bold rather than all caps.
The Potion of Magical Aptitude's flavor text should probably read "Drinking this vial of silvery liquid fills you with the power of the aether."
I mentioned about the flavor text on the Restoration Draught before. The text as it should be reads "This frothy brown liquid contains a trace of life's energy.".
You have the Unguent of Magical Defence and the Magic Resistance Tonic backwards. I know this because my players prized the MRTs for their ability to stop Command, Cloud of Chaos, etc, whereas Unguents only prevented normal damages and thus accumulated so highly they were often sold. (Until they met the Brotherhood of Fallen Night, that is...)

The Dwarf should only have 2 Dexterity. With 3 and the Tool Kit he can disarm traps on any roll, even a 1. On the other hand he should have 2 Wisdom rather than 1 (or should he?)
Why is the Wizard the character with the best combat abilities in situations where the Heroes lack their weapons? The Ranged options are well and good, but maybe the Barbarian should have one White or two Green dice for his Aggression score.

...That's all I got. If you correct all of the above that need correcting, your card sets pass the Test of Grammar.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #726 - 11/30/14 at 12:23pm

Thx dude.

I'll go through this lot in the week, along side the few updates needed by the rule book.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #727 - 12/02/14 at 11:29pm

Some of these I'd updated already, and just failed at uploading  Roll Eyes

To answer the questions:
Ability keywords should be bolded. The choice to list keywords in bold on the card was purely stylistic.
The gargoyle's Ranged 1 attack represents his whip!
You are right on the Barbarian and Dwarf, the Dwarf also gets a small change (green resilience) that was missed too!
Hand-bow is a one-handed weapon, and some of this ties into what I'm doing with the Advanced Rules.
Name changes to the Helmet and Shield also come into their own with the advanced rules, allowing for different types of helmet and/or shield.

I'm working through these card updates. Still a dozen to go, then I'll re-upload everything, just to be sure!

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #728 - 12/03/14 at 9:27pm

Gargoyle's Whip? I wouldn't have guessed that; how long a reach does that thing have?!

Also, I missed an error! The Ancient Greatsword Artifact is currently one-handed; shouldn't it be two-handed? (Otherwise it's strictly better than the Dwarf's Gromril Axe.)

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #729 - 12/03/14 at 10:12pm

The gargoyle is a large chap with a large whip. How often is he going to get to use the whip in the first place? It was meant to be a small, cool, characterful rule that doesn't break the essential nature of old gargly. It also means that it's harder to be "safe" when he's around.

AGS should be two-handed! That's an easy fix for me too!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #730 - 12/03/14 at 11:04pm

All updated!
*victory dance*

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #731 - 12/04/14 at 6:34am

Well done.  HeroQuest Gargoyle

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found one more problem: the Elven Bow of Vindication (and Arrows thereof) don't say anything about targets not being able to Defend against them, which s a feature I distinctly remember from their previous incarnation.

But other than that, everything is fine now! What's next on the docket?

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #732 - 12/05/14 at 7:33am

D'oh!

I'll get that fixed.

Next is the slightly revised rule book, then the Dungeon Guide (the text is there, it just needs some layout & art gubbins). I want to get Quest Book One released ASAP too, people can play through the classic game at that point.

I can then throw the boards and overlays on, and add the print & play guide page.

After that I can work at getting another book out every few weeks. while I slowly put together the Advanced Rules & extra cards from my notes.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #733 - 12/29/14 at 10:53am

Slev wrote on 12/05/14 at 7:33am:
Next is the slightly revised rule book, then the Dungeon Guide (the text is there, it just needs some layout & art gubbins). I want to get Quest Book One released ASAP too, people can play through the classic game at that point.

I can then throw the boards and overlays on, and add the print & play guide page.

After that I can work at getting another book out every few weeks. while I slowly put together the Advanced Rules & extra cards from my notes.

How's this coming along?

On a more pertinent note, I found one more missing card: the Chaos Spell Ice Storm, which is functionally equivalent to Blizzard, so you should have an easy time recreating it. Somehow I missed that on the first eight passes.  HeroQuest Gargoyle

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #734 - 01/08/15 at 10:59pm

Slowly, what with Christmas/birthday/NYE/Winter StabCon.

Spending this weekend clearing up the house, then it's back to fixing up HQR!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #735 - 01/09/15 at 1:21pm

Ice Storm is uploading Cheesy

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #736 - 01/24/16 at 1:27am

So I now have a modern Photoshop, and am replacing all the cards. Progress!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #737 - 02/17/16 at 3:01am

Finally some bloody progress!
The "finished" game rules. A5 format.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8oa5fq6zvkfras/HeroQuest%20Revised%20Edition%20Rule%2...

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #738 - 02/20/16 at 2:51am

ANd teh web site is updated, just missing the Equipment cards as I need moar time...

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #739 - 03/30/16 at 11:39pm

Big update done:
All base game cards finished.
Rule Book finished.
Dungeon Guide finished
Quest Book One finished.