Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum
01/18/19 at 10:46am
Home Help Search Member Map Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print
Hi all & another re-write (Read 121843 times)
Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Manchester, Great Britain, europe, 171, 209, United Kingdom
Re: Hi all & another re-write
Reply #700 - 08/25/14 at 11:29pm

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #701 - 11/17/14 at 5:45am

Well, I've been busy with Photoshop, there are now a number of files up on the web site.

The advantage of heavily drafting everything in advance is that it is *much* easier to assemble cards this way!

Unfortunately Hannah, my artist friend, has no internets right now, so I'm waiting on the finished arts for a coupple of cards...

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

The Dollar $ign of DOOM!!

Top Floor of the Mohawk Mall, Rhode Island, USA
Reply #702 - 11/17/14 at 7:00am

There are a few inconsistencies and/or errors on the Chaos Spell card you've posted. I will also point out the changes from their prior incarnations, for your edification:
Break Mind: Should read "count skulls rolled", not "count white dice rolled". Also, you're missing a blue diamond for "inflicts ___ damage" on the fifth line of effect text.
Cloud of Chaos: How long does this effect remain active for, indefinitely? If so, that would help explain why the card now allows Heroes in the cloud to Defend. Also, I don't mind this card affecting other monsters, but the spell should probably include a "The caster is unaffected." clause.
Deathbolt: Uh, what exactly is the connotation of using one red (numbered) die to attack at range? If you meant to put a white die there, though, that's a very underpowered spell. For comparison, the previous version of the card was a ranged version of Chill.
Firestorm: Nerfed down from its original incarnation? Also, can or should this affect the caster if cast in his own room?
Mind Blast: Used to also prohibit Move actions.
Skate: Now adds 12 to the Figure's movement rather than set it to 12. This is probably for the better.
Torpor: Heroes can break this Spell much more easily, although not until their next turn, allowing the Caster's friends to beat him up without penalty.

The rest of the cards match their prior incarnations. Well done!

They don't call me "Count" Mohawk just 'cause I tell 'em to!

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #703 - 11/17/14 at 10:00pm

Nice one Mohawk. I'll check this & update as needed.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #704 - 11/17/14 at 10:41pm

Break Mind, Cloud of Chaos, Deathbolt, Firestorm, all had typos corrected.
Further clarifications on Cloud of Chaos, Deathbolt, & Firestorm.
« Last Edit: 11/18/14 at 3:50am by Slev »  
IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #705 - 11/18/14 at 5:48pm

Oh, I see, "Die Die Heart" on Firestorm means two dice of damage, plus one automatic damage. That didn't click the first time I read through it. The other edits are fine.
Come to think of it, what happened to the Mind Freeze spell? I don't see that one in there. (reduces a Hero's MP to either 1 or 0 depending on dice rolled equal to MP; also ineffective against the bearer of the armband of ice)

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #706 - 11/19/14 at 1:12am

Mind Freeze?

It should be there!

I'll figure out where it went & get it uploaded.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #707 - 11/19/14 at 1:34pm

Mind Freeze is fixed. You may note that the card was tweaked slightly, making it slightly weaker and a lot easier to deal with rules wise.

Also minor update to the "Helmet" card, for ease of naming mechanics.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #708 - 11/19/14 at 11:48pm

And the Treasure Deck is up.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #709 - 11/23/14 at 2:51am

And the Scroll Cards and Scroll Deck

Working on the Potion cards right now Smiley

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #710 - 11/23/14 at 8:04pm

Ah, some new cards to critique!

Wall of Stone (Scroll deck): Should read "You gain a Wall of Stone scroll", not a Blizzard scroll.
Mystic Recovery (Scroll card): Did you upgrade this scroll? Previously it only restored all Mind points; your new version also restores all Body points.
Brew of Icy Might (Potion card): Slightly improved over its prior incarnation, which merely doubled Body damage dealt in the turn it was drunk.
Calming Brew (Potion card): I see you added a couple of extra effects. Most of the time I imagine restoring multiple MP will be preferable, but it is always helpful to have them around. What does the Wisdom keyword do again? I don't see it in the Rule Book v2.1. I checked.
Memory's Essence and Philtre of Recall (Potion cards): These two have very similar effects, but I note you added Lore 1 to the Memory's Essence. If you hadn't, I would have had to ask why the two cards are worded so differently.
Potion of Stonecraft (Potion card): Good decision adding Artifice 1 to this potion; otherwise it is inferior to the Potion of Vision for the Elf.
Potion of Strength (Potion card): This used to add two Combat Dice to one Attack Action. Why nerf it down? Although the Test of Strength variation is new and interesting as well.
Restoration Draught (Potion card): A flavor quibble! The Draught should actually be a brown mixture; I think you accidentally copied the flavor text over from the Rejuvenation Salve immediately before it. (Check your old files for the exact wording.)
Gem of Negation (Magic Item): Shouldn't using this require discarding the item as well as spending an Investigation Action?

Quibble due to the Brew of Scrying's effect: Most of the traps that can't be found normally are magical; are they still incapable of being Disarmed even if the Heroes know where they are?

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #711 - 11/23/14 at 9:23pm

Many good error catches dude!

Mystic Recovery, Potion of Strength and Gem of Negation are typos.

Wisdom was missed, it's in the new volume, it's the magical equivalent of Brute Force. Wizard gets three white, Barbarian one, others two. In the updated WQP, allows you to activate portals. I may have added similar portals into KoC, can't remember off-hand.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #712 - 11/23/14 at 11:48pm

Files corrected & updated.
Working on the Artefacts right now.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #713 - 11/24/14 at 7:59pm

A thought strikes re: Artifice skill. Disarming a Trap requires you move to the trap's location. Assuming you can't break up movement rolls, how would a Hero with Artifice skill (as from Potion of Stonecraft) ever be able to actually use that second Disarm action?

Edit: And the answer comes immediately - by gaining Artifice skill, the Hero is then free to use his other, 'normal' action on something else, not just two Disarms. This does, however, have the subtle downside of making all the "gain an extra action of a specific type" ability keywords have effectively the same effect. It may seem a nerf, but I wonder if Artifice, Fortune, Rage et al would be better worded as "if you take this specific action, you can take another of its type", or is that too restrictive?

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #714 - 11/24/14 at 10:00pm

We tested that. It was so restrictive as to be near useless, which is why I changed it.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #715 - 11/27/14 at 1:11pm

And that's the Artefacts done!

Next up, the Monsters, Characters, & Men-at-Arms.

Then, finally, Heroes!

At that point, rule book v2.2, then the dungeon guide, then the Quest Books.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #716 - 11/27/14 at 8:20pm

Amulet of the North: Nice buff. I take it having to choose between less-bulky Plate and the reroll power was underpowered in your previous version?
Bracelet of Fortitude: Three Mind? This is narrower than the Armband of Healing, but does that merit breaking the symmetry between these two cards?
Enchanter's Staff: In order to throw a fireball or attack for three with the staff, the Wizard needs to spend an extra Cast Action in addition to his Attack action; am I reading this right? You use the same syntax on the Rod of Flames and the Wizards Staff, so I would appreciate any further elucidation.
Fire Ring of Brilliance: Could this have been worded the same as on the Essence of Granite, or is there a meaningful difference between the way the two cards are syntaxed?
Obsidian Amulet: I remember the discussion over this card from when you first released it. At the time, you decided that being able to null one Chaos Spell per quest was too good. I am curious as to what changed your mind.
Ring of Enchantment: In the flavor text, the word you're looking for is spelled 'albeit'.  Tongue
Rod of Growth: Statistically, three dice will turn up an average of one White Shield, which makes the third option superior or equal to the second about 96% of the time. Would you consider bumping option two up to +4 dice?
Rod of Tides: Area-of-effect healing is new! Sure, one Body Point is not all that much, but it can add up. Too bad the Tempest effect was the one that got axed.
Shield of Champions: Finally took my suggestion, eh?  ShitColoredGlasses
Spirit Blade: Now a Longsword? Even your own flavor text contradicts this.
Talisman of Lore: Indirectly buffs the taking of the Wizard and Elf Spell groups. That is cool! Suffice to say that giving this to the Barbarian is no longer a clear-cut decision. I like!
Wizard's Staff: Basic functionality remains the same. I see you added an innate Sling effect, and am I to assume that the third option deals Spirit Damage, or...?

As a further note, you bold the ability keywords such as Lore on some cards but not on others, so a check to standardize the formatting would also be in order.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #717 - 11/27/14 at 10:39pm

Amulet of the North: Only by a small amount, that's why the penalty reduction was halved.
Bracelet of Fortitude: Yes, it is that much of a difference between the two. I had considered four, but it was a little too good.
Enchanter's Staff: The cast means that this allows you to cast a "spell" that is a simple ranged attack. There  is no separate attack action. This is explained in the MRB. Also, as it's a cast, it is not buffed by cards that improve attack actions.
Fire Ring of Brilliance: Yes, there is., see "enchanter's staff".
Obsidian Amulet: The original design was under-powered. I ended up adding more spells and spell effects to the later books anyway, so it balanced out this way.
Ring of Enchantment: Every time I use it, people get confused, including my editor, and every spell check. I'll consider adding it back.
Rod of Growth: Statistically the same, one is guaranteed, one is a gamble for a potentially bigger pay-off.
Rod of Tides: It was an effect that proved underused, it was a non-option in the end. AoE heal was a nice compromise Smiley
Shield of Champions: Yes, this is actually even more annoying to the Heroes Smiley
Spirit Blade: I'll fix that.
Talisman of Lore: Thanks. That is what I was going for.
Wizard's Staff: Third option allows you to cast at the cost of 1MP, a 2CD bolt of fire.

I will go back through and standardise the ability bolding too. It *should* be all the way through.

IP Logged

Mohawk
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Reply #718 - 11/28/14 at 9:02am

OK, that is much clearer. By the way, the Rod of Growth's third ability currently reads "add two shields", which is probably a typo given what you told me in your reply.

IP Logged

Slev
ROCKET CAR!

Morcar has returned...

Reply #719 - 11/28/14 at 10:34am

Right, I'll have a look at that tonight, along with the last, missing, character card. (The rest are up!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print