Send Topic Print
HeroScape (Read 10050 times)
Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
HeroScape
03/06/05 at 2:28pm

Okay, I'll just start out by saying that me and Wolf really enjoyed this game.  It's simple as hell, has interesting characters, and again, simple as hell.  There was very little rules lookup.

I do have a few things to say about it though.  When it comes to this game, I HAVE THE WORST FUCKING LUCK!  Okay, Sgt Drake Alexander, go whup some ass with your six attack dice.  Roll...  1 success?!  Roll again...  NO SUCCESSES!?  Mimring, 4 attack dice, Line of Fire attack, hitting at least 2 guys every turn for like 6 turns.  Does he kill anyone?  ONE GUY!  And can I ever defend?!  NO!  Forget the Defense Aura and the Defense +1 Glyph.  I CAN NOT DEFEND!  MY LUCK BLOWS IN THIS GAME!!!  And it wasn't just one time we played.  We played like six games or something!  And I sucked at each one!  The only one that I won was the one that all I have to do is reach the other side with one Hero figure.  Well, I also won a game where we used custom-made heroes (more on that later).

Take this, for instance.  I think it was the second or third scenario, where it's a 300 point game.  I used the paratroopers and landed them right next to Wolf's forces, which were bunched up all together.  I killed 6 units in the first turn.  Then I retreated so my guys could have +3 Defense.  I still lost the game.  If it weren't for my crappy defense rolling, I could have stood a chance.  I mean, I took out half his army in the first turn.  I finally thought I had a win on my hands, but no.  I suck.

One thing that was cool was how quick the game was.  Setting up the field takes some time, but after that, the turns go by pretty quickly.  We actually played like 4 games in one day.

Some of the units could have been better designed.  For instance, the three Matrix dudes that dodge any ranged attack with just a single defend die.  These guys were the thorn in my ass in every game we played.  They move far, they have good range, and they have average attack and defense (3 each).  Compare this to the paratroopers.  They have decent movement, good range, average attack, and 2 defense.  2 Defense?!  These guys have two powers, but they can only be used once each.  First off, the grenade attack only does 2 attack dice, so it's rarely effective.  I was lucky to kill 3 guys with that.  Then they have the paratrooper ability, the drop, which is cool, but it doesn't justify their crappy defense.  Give these guys one more defend die, and I might use them again.  The Matrix guys, they're a bitch.  It's hard to close in on them because they can cap your ass real quick, find higher ground real quick (fast movement), before you can hit them.  I can rarely kill these guys with ranged weapons, and can rarely close on them.  We agreed that these guys should have the 2 Defend dice since they can dodge almost any attack shot at them.

Aside from that, we didn't have much problem with the other units and shit.

So I decided, I'm gonna create some new units, with no special powers, and Wolf did the same.  I busted out my Battle Ball set and got a football team together (this was hilarious).  I created the "Football Heroes" team, and Wolf made the "Football Villains".  This shit was funny.  Anyways, with no sort of formula or anything, we just created some characters, and played again.  Combine my bad luck with some bad character creation (on both our sides), things were a bit unbalanced, but I actually ended up winning, even though my best guy got beat down by a gang of football thugs.

So I started thinking, we need to create a formula to create new heroes and units.  Each stat was worth a number of points.  Basically I made everything cost 5 points per stat point.  This was cool, but the guys came out VERY expensive.  Then I decided, movement should be less expensive than attack dice, so I fudged the numbers around a little bit.  Then recalculated, and we came up with some pretty good numbers.  What's cool is that we then calculated the main game's units, and they all came out just about right.  We're still sticking to making units without special powers for now, but we'll probably add powers after we figure out point values for them, and not use retarded powers like the Matrix Dodge thing.  That's just too much.

One thing I didn't like is that the Defend Dice and Attack Dice were different.  There's no use for this.  3 sides are attack, 2 sides are defense, one side is blank.  Why use different attack and defend dice?  Kinda dumb.

Anyways, the BattleBall figures fit right into the game.  It was real cool putting football dudes on the field.  MageKnight and D&D miniatures would also work well, but the bases on the BattleBall figures are kinda close to the HeroScape ones.

I'll post up character cards for our Football Heroes/Villains (get ready for a laugh) when I get internet access at home.

Anyways, the game itself is really good, only had a few issues with some characters, but nothing was really broken with it.  I didn't find it hard to fit everything in the box (minus the plastic figure tray).  I don't see why people have trouble with this.

Creating characters was really fun and easy now that we automated it (with FileMaker Pro 7, you just input your desired stats and they're calculated).  I'll be making stats for MageKnight figures, and more Football dudes (cause they're just funny) and post the cards.  Great game.

Well that's my review.  I recommend getting two sets so that you can make any kind of team you want instead of hating when someone gets the guys you want.  We had tons of fun with it.  Good game.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Adelaide, Australia, South Australia, Australia
Re: HeroScape
Reply #1 - 03/06/05 at 6:33pm

hmm, add it to the shopping list I guess.

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reply #2 - 03/06/05 at 9:30pm

I just bought this on the weekend. Still pretty expensive over here, cost me $80AU. Bloody specialty store prices!!!!! Might as well buy HQ on Ebay.  Sad

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/06/05 at 9:54pm

Tis a nice game.. I baught all the expansion packs for more options.. the next set of expansion packs look nice as well.

Anyways.. there are programs around for making your own units..

take a look around HeroScape.net

G-bob is there as well.

IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Reply #4 - 03/07/05 at 4:26am

Thats better than Adelaide Lurch. I've seen it in 2 shops now. Both had it for $120au  Cheesy

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

G-bob
FLYING JUMP KICK!

Reply #5 - 03/07/05 at 10:55am

It is a real favorite of mine. Malechi and I have been working on an RPG expansion for it too that is turning out to be alot of fun to play.

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.
IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Reply #6 - 03/08/05 at 6:06pm

Good stuff this HeroScape! I spend a lot of time creating expansion material for it. Along with Realm of Champions, Grungebob's RPG expansion, I have assisted in the creation of Quests of HeroScape. QoH is a way of playing HS as a set of Quests rather than the more prevalent Kill 'em All scenarios. I have also created the water hex modifier tile sets WaterScape, LavaScape, SwampScape and RoadScape. And, as a personal request from Grunge, a figure base sticker for making Mage Knight or D&D figures match the HS figure bases.

... I may be a little obsessed ...

As for the Aussies here on the board if purchase (US $39.99) and shipping from the US is cheaper, I would be more than willing to send at cost. I want to spread the addiction!

IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Reply #7 - 03/08/05 at 6:50pm

Unfortunately Mal, that price converts to over $80 just for the copy of the board, let alone what international shipping is.

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Malechi
I AM SUPERSHIT!

whoteva bitch

Clearlake, CA, usa, 18, 142,, California, USA
Reply #8 - 03/08/05 at 6:57pm

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the conversion rate was these days ...

IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Reply #9 - 03/08/05 at 7:13pm

But it looks to be a great game. I've got it all set up and ready to go, just waiting for the weekend when I can get a mate or two around to try it out.  Grin

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Naked Ninja
ROCKET CAR!

M.I.A.

Reply #10 - 03/09/05 at 2:07am

It's not 50c to the US dollar any more Lurch. It's around 80c now. We've gained back around 30c in the last couple of years.

Still the postage from the US would blow the costs pretty high. Maybe around $80au all up if you got it sea mail ? Dunno, thats just a guess.

They'll get cheaper here eventualy though Mal. I've got enough on my plate at the moment, but thanks for the kind offer.

NN

Naked Ninja  
IP Logged

LurchBrick
FIST!

What the hell am I?!

Reply #11 - 03/09/05 at 3:30am

I didn't read Mal's post closely enough, for some reason I thought he was saying UK ounds.  Cheesy

Do you Vassal HQ?

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #12 - 03/12/05 at 12:44pm

Is there a program for creating units?  Was it made by the HeroScape guys or just some Joe?  I'd like to take a look at it.

We're planning on playing a few games with the original units calculated with our own program to see if it's more fair.

I also had the idea of re-basing the MageKnight figures to make them look like HeroScape figures, but I can't get myself to remove them from their bases.  I doubt I'd ever sell them or anything but I dunno.  THe paintjobs on the MageKnight figures blow though, so it makes me not want to use them.  Some of them look okay though.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/05 at 3:02pm

When is the last time you got MK figures? most of the newer ones are some of the best Pre Painted plastics out there.. some are scores ahead of HeroScape.

Anyways.. HeroScape.net under files or downloads or something has some programs.

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #14 - 03/12/05 at 3:24pm

Some of them are okay, but most of them suck.  Last time I bought them was when there was a greyish starter set that included that stupid Elf hero guy.  Some Starsdawn guy.

Some of the figures, like the Orcs, look decent, but some just look like shit.  I'll take some pictures and post them when I can (in like a week).

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/12/05 at 5:14pm

Read: six months.

IP Logged

Wolf
FIST!

This is a probable fact.

The Land of YaBB, California, USA
Reply #16 - 03/12/05 at 7:11pm

I believe we bought those guys like a year ago.  I think.  I don't remember, but it was long, long ago...

The Administrator.
IP Logged

G-bob
FLYING JUMP KICK!

Reply #17 - 03/12/05 at 10:14pm

Quote:
I also had the idea of re-basing the MageKnight figures to make them look like HeroScape figures, but I can't get myself to remove them from their bases.  I doubt I'd ever sell them or anything but I dunno.  THe paintjobs on the MageKnight figures blow though, so it makes me not want to use them.  Some of them look okay though.

Malechi's base stickers work really well for this use. Just look in the downloads section on Heroscape.net

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.
IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #18 - 03/14/05 at 11:02pm

Yeah I'm still iffy on the whole removing my MageKnight figures from their bases thing.  I suppose that if anything, I could always re-glue them back onto their bases if I needed to sell them.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

G-bob
FLYING JUMP KICK!

Reply #19 - 03/15/05 at 9:26am

I think they look alot better when rebased. I did a few switch overs to Heroscape looking bases just to get a feel for it. Here is an example. These would look better in an outdoor setting but you get the idea.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print