Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Floor Tiles...... (Read 3685 times)
morval
I AM NOT HERBERT!

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Floor Tiles......
08/20/04 at 11:44am

Have you looked into programs like dunjinni that create create looking maps without too much trouble.  The reason I started looking around and found Dungeon Crawl and Heroquest was because I was thinking of doing a Dungeon Crawl game myself.  But coming from the D&D world I was just going to base it on crappy D&D miniatures rules.  It was more as an idea for random dungeons using tiles I would create.  Others have had similar ideas on the dunjinni forum.  I like your idea of using a much simplier game mechanics (HQ type).

The reason I bring this up is because I think it would be better to not go with the Heroquest way of laying out the board.  I think advanced HQ is more like what I'm thinking of (from what little I have seen on the internet).  You could create premade corridors (T, +, L, etc.) with different premade rooms.  The floors styles could be dungeon, wood, cave, ice, etc.  These would come with the main game.  If an adventure needed a different type of room or corridor it would include these tiles as an expansion.

Also players of the game could adapt the excellent 3D products that are out there and have actual walls in their dungeons.  Or even just use the props that they come with.

Anyways, thats just my first thoughts so far.

Here are some of the links I frequent for 3D cardstock accessories as well as mapping.  I'm sure you have been to most of them, but just in case:

dunjinni.com
profantasy.com

stones-edges.com
paperworlds.com
worldworksgames.com
(they have a pre-printed dungeon cardstock available now that would be perfect for these types of games)

morval

IP Logged

Ogre
Ex Member

Re: Floor Tiles......
Reply #1 - 08/20/04 at 11:51am

Oubliette will be done this way.. the basic dungeons rooms will be Small room 6X4 medium room 6X6 big room 6X8 and corrider, T and Hallway pieces.

the random dungeon will probably be cards you draw that lay out the entire room.. monsters and doors and furniture and everything.. and you draw when you open a door.. similar to WHQ.

I may actualy make it a dice chart instead of cards.. so there is less to print..

IP Logged

Biff
FIST!

SHIT!

Gardena, California, USA
Reply #2 - 08/20/04 at 12:38pm

Yeah I wanted to do cards at first, too, but that idea went rapidly out the window.

Morval:  When I first created Dungeon Crawl, I did want to do the floor plans like the Warhammer Quest ones.  However, after some thought, I thought it would be a lot easier to just put a couple of boards together to create a dungeon.  It's also easier for people to put together, instead of having to cut out different shapes, people just have to cut out squares.

However, Dungeon Crawl is versatile enough to be able to use any type of board you want to, but just not with the included Adventures.  When people create their own Adventures, they can use whatever type of layout and floorplans they want.  I'll probably use all kinds of boards when I play, like my city maps, HeroQuest board, Warhammer Quest board sections, and even the Mutant Chronicles boards.  I may even make some Warhammer Quest-like board sections in future releases, and they can be used alone or combined with other Dungeon Crawl boards.

SHIT AGAIN!
IP Logged

mdewit
I AM NOT HERBERT!

Lurch is a sexy man-god!

Reply #3 - 08/22/14 at 4:40am

You can always check fat dragon games. They do 2D and 3D paper terrain, most will have a layer with squares.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print